Saved a few bob yesterday

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Ted, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Ted

Ted MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SLC 250D AMG Line, Yamaha XVS 1100, Jeep Renegade
    The aircon on my CLK has never been particularly fantastic, and I've noticed over the last few weeks it's been getting worse.

Nothing too bad, just takes a long time to cool the car down, and struggles a little in the very hot weather.

Well, I've been here before in my 210 - cabin filter must be clogged.

So last night I pulled it out (cabin filter that is). Sure enough, clogged with dust, dead flies, fluff, leaves etc etc.

Now being the penny pinching, stingy (broke) person I am, I thought I would try cleaning it. banged it on the ground a few times and sure enough, lots more crud came out, but I felt sure there must be more that I could do.

Brainwave!! I'll try washing it! If I mess things up I havent lost out - I still need a new one.

So armed with a bucket of soapy water and a handbrush, I set about cleaning it. Lots of black water later, and it was looking clean(ish). More important, the element had kept its shape and structure and hadn't fallen apart. The only problem now is that it was totally saturated.
    So I left it for an hour to drain off. Still lots of water in it, but that will be blown off by the fan won't it?
    No! I replaced it and couldn't get ANY airflow at all - bad idea.

So I left it in the bottom oven of the aga (door open) for an hour. That seemed to work nicely.

Filter replaced and I now have a hurricane blowing through the car! Seriously, I now have on three bars what I used to have on full blast. Full blast is like facing a 150mph hurricane (well I might have exaggerated a little there).

Yes I know, a lot of kerfuffle for a fairly modest saving but when every penny counts............

Now, where's that air filter?? :devil::devil:

7 people like this.
  2. 2003-c180kcoupe

2003-c180kcoupe Active Member

Car:
    c180k coupe
    Any idea where the cabin filter is on my c180k coupe ? My aircon gets cold but there's not much of a breeze even when its on full .

3. OP
    OP
    Ted

Ted MB Enthusiast

Car:
    I don't know on a 203 - it is under the the dash trim inside a small 'compartment' with a couple of sliding clips on the passenger side on w208 and w210 - a very easy job to change.

Someone who knows should be along soon...

4. brucemillar

brucemillar MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
    I tried this on my underpants. Now the air blows through them at great velocity.

5. BlackC55

BlackC55 Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    E55K SL500 E300Hybrid E250X3 Viano C55 E450Cab A180 Smart 44 Brabus
    It is strange because that filter should be changed at every B Service so shold not be in a terrible state.

6. OP
    OP
    Ted

Ted MB Enthusiast

Car:
    B service should have been done 12000 miles ago.
    I just changed the oil and filter myself.

Hangs head in shame :(

1 person likes this.
  7. ringway

ringway MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Audi A6 Avant 3.0 Bi TDI - A Fantastic Car! Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely! Also R32 & S4.
    The drain below the wiper assy on my 210 should have been cleaned many times having been added by MB themselves to the B service.

My car had 6, B services before I bought it and one afterwards (all by main dealers).
    A few months later I needed a new PSE pump due to "the great flood" caused by the blocked drain. :wallbash:

The annoying thing about it is that cleaning the drain is an easy job that took me about half an hour. :(

1 person likes this.
  8. clarke77

clarke77 Member

Car:
    C200 CDI W203, Disco TD5, 2.0 Astra (SHMBO's)
    Anyone know where it is on my W203 C200 CDI?

9. SPX

SPX MB Club Veteran

Car:
    That one
    As a Yorkshireman, I love these tales....

1 person likes this.
  10. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    How much did the gas for the AGA cost?

11. OP
    OP
    Ted

Ted MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Certainly under a quid, as it's on anyway.
    The bottom oven on an AGA is no more than a warming oven, so little heat lost.

12. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    When the airflow stopped on my car I just cut 50% of the pleats out of the cabin filter....that won't block again.

13. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2019
    Of course it will.. Twice as fast! You have just reduced the surface area by 50% :rolleyes:

2 people like this.
  14. 2003-c180kcoupe

2003-c180kcoupe Active Member

Car:
    c180k coupe
    found a filter for the air conditioning just above my battery today when i was cleaning my car , had a quick look and it looks almost new .

1 person likes this.
  15. clarke77

clarke77 Member

Car:
    C200 CDI W203, Disco TD5, 2.0 Astra (SHMBO's)
    Thanks just checked the battery cover and found the filter never noticed it before, just though it was a cover. :rock:

16. MarkJunedd

MarkJunedd Active Member

Car:
    98 CLK320 Sport
    Followed Ted's lead yesterday while i was giving my car a much deserved clean, my cabin filter was in a shocking state, black,gritty, fluff,leaves ,there was all sorts in it. Vacuumed it and left it to soak for an hour in soapy water which was really black and filthy afterwards then sat it in the sun for a couple of hours to dry. So a few quid saved by me as well. Thanks for the tip Ted :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  17. rascalmaster

rascalmaster MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Brabus D5 (E280 CDI) Avantgarde, E280 CDI Sport Estate, E320 Avantgarde now sold
    i think the drying stage is vital.... so as to avoid the build up of nasties in the humid filter...

1 person likes this.