say no to 0870

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
*EDIT* That's a really useful resource site, thanks for sharing :D I think it's worthy of living in the favourites section. :)

Personally I have found the best way to stop unwanted calls is to activate something called "Anonymous Caller Rejection" (aka ACR) unfortunately this service costs with BT but I'm on NTL and it's free to use :D

I then registered with the "Telephone Preference Service" (TPS) and virtually 99% of all annoying telephone calls have been eliminated :D I still get the odd 1 every now and then from companies based abroad but they are usually few and far between. :)

The TPS also has a sister service called MPS - "Mail Preference Service" You can use this to stem the flood of junk mail to your doorstep to a trickle. :devil:

A shame no equivalent service exists for spam emails :(

S.

Last edited:
Steve_Perry said:
Personally I have found the best way to stop unwanted calls is to activate something called "Anonymous Caller Rejection" (aka ACR) unfortunately this service costs with BT but I'm on NTL and it's free to use :D

What happens when someone abroad calls? I have several friends in Germany that call but their number never shows up. Would it block those too?

anarchy-inc said:
What happens when someone abroad calls? I have several friends in Germany that call but their number never shows up. Would it block those too?
Nope, calls from abroad still get through as normal because they are not classed as caller withheld. :D The system can distinguish between the two.

When you dial 1471 for missed calls, you'll get the following.

If you miss a call from abroad, the message says something like "You were called at <time> but we do not have the caller's number to return the call".

Whereas if you miss a withheld call the message says "You were called at <time>, the caller withheld their number".

S.

now , a resourse that gave you the geographical number of a premium rate service would rock .... :D

Steve_Perry said:
Nope, calls from abroad still get through as normal because they are not classed as caller withheld. :D The system can distinguish between the two.

When you dial 1471 for missed calls, you'll get the following.

If you miss a call from abroad, the message says something like "You were called at <time> but we do not have the caller's number to return the call".

S.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, I just tried to call my cousin in the US using a low cost carrier Alpha Telecom (I usually use One Tel). Anyway I got an automated message in an american accent saying that the number called does not accept calls with witheld ID's (or something to that effect). I just re-dialed on BT and got through no problems.

Maybe I'm being cyncial but I wonder if maybe the phone companies are getting annoyed that they're losing revenue to least cost carriers & VOIP providers such as Skype?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom