SBC Brake system HELP!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's good to hear of a good outcome from Mercedes.

It's good to hear of a good outcome from Mercedes.
Only in USA will this ever happen.

Only in USA will this ever happen.
Nah, not only in USA Read on:
I have a 2003 E320 Elegance ( I live in UK- bought new and regularly serviced by Main Mercedes in my town,) whose SBC pump failed unexpectedly two months ago: I got a 'brake service visit workshop' black and white caption so took it into local Merc/Smart Indy, thinking it was front brake pads (known worn from MOT).I.ve used him for a coupla years to do stuff 'my' main Mercedes cant be ars ed to do like exhaust bracket welding.

On electronic diagnostics I was told SBC had failed, car couldn't be moved as I'd get a red fail caption and car would be immobilised and need recovery. Quoted £3.5k + labour for new, £2.5k for genuine Mercedes recon SBC pump : this came as a shock over the phone so through gritted teeth i agreed recon price as I cant afford replacement car just now and paid up by CC over the phone..

Indy said I'd have to pay up front as he'd had cases of people needing expensive parts which he'd ordered and then they didn't turn up. I didn't see a problem and paid up. Thank god he was chokka and delay in part arriving meant I could do some research online over the intervening weekend- car locked in at Indy.
This will shock you: I discovered that, because the SBC pump was so unreliable they haven't been fitted to new cars since 2009 and there was a major recall in mid noughties (I never got this recall) Furthermore the 10 year warranty was extended to 25 years unlimited mileage (Yep you read that right ) Europe-wide in 2018! I checked with my local Mercedes who supplied /serviced it since new , they checked with head office and , long story short , authorised and have now carried out SBC replacement free of charge under extended warranty

But. I am stuck with a number of problems as yet unresolved: 1) Mercedes will only use new parts for warranty work so wouldnt use the pump I had paid for and had arrived (Fortunately 'my' Mercedes told me to stop Indy doing any work-he hadn't started)
2) Indy wont refund my £2460.00 as his supplier says specially ordered parts cannot be returned for credit .
3) I phoned the supplier myself hoping for some goodwill and was told to foxtrot oscar.
4) Complaint to Mercedes Europe also told me to F..O..
If I had known it could be a warranty job of course I wouldn't have bought the part in the first place but no-one checked if the car had been brake-recalled or thought to tell me it was a warranty job. So food for thought= anyone want to buy a genuine Mercedes refurb SBC pump, unopened, still in Mercedes wrap-coded packaging. while I ponder next move.

Last edited:
I have a 2003 E320 Elegance ( I live in UK- bought new and regularly serviced by Main Mercedes in my town,) whose SBC pump failed unexpectedly two months ago: I got a 'brake service visit workshop' black and white caption so took it into local Merc/Smart Indy, thinking it was front brake pads (known worn from MOT).I.ve used him for a coupla years to do stuff 'my' main Mercedes cant be ars ed to do like exhaust bracket welding.

On electronic diagnostics I was told SBC had failed, car couldn't be moved as I'd get a red fail caption and car would be immobilised and need recovery. Quoted £3.5k + labour for new, £2.5k for genuine Mercedes recon SBC pump : this came as a shock over the phone so through gritted teeth i agreed recon price as I cant afford replacement car just now and paid up by CC over the phone..

Indy said I'd have to pay up front as he'd had cases of people needing expensive parts which he'd ordered and then they didn't turn up. I didn't see a problem and paid up. Thank god he was chokka and delay in part arriving meant I could do some research online over the intervening weekend- car locked in at Indy.
This will shock you: I discovered that, because the SBC pump was so unreliable they haven't been fitted to new cars since 2009 and there was a major recall in mid noughties (I never got this recall) Furthermore the 10 year warranty was extended to 25 years unlimited mileage (Yep you read that right ) Europe-wide in 2018! I checked with my local Mercedes who supplied /serviced it since new , they checked with head office and , long story short , authorised and have now carried out SBC replacement free of charge under extended warranty

But. I am stuck with a number of problems as yet unresolved: 1) Mercedes will only use new parts for warranty work so wouldnt use the pump I had paid for and had arrived (Fortunately 'my' Mercedes told me to stop Indy doing any work-he hadn't started)
2) Indy wont refund my £2460.00 as his supplier says specially ordered parts cannot be returned for credit .
3) I phoned the supplier myself hoping for some goodwill and was told to foxtrot oscar.
If I had known it could be a warranty job of course I wouldn't have bought the part in the first place but no-one checked if the car had been brake-recalled or thought to tell me it was a warranty job. So food for thought= anyone want to buy a genuine Mercedes refurb SBC pump, unopened, still in Mercedes wrap-coded packaging. while I ponder next move.

Interesting reading, I didn’t seam to get any clear answers when I had SBC problems, I emailed the a guy I used to work for in Taunton Mercedes’, he’s now in charge of warranty in Exeter, his reply was Mercedes’ deal with these problems on a case by case basis. I feel your pain.

Hello Everyone,
I have a 2005 Mercedes CLS500 with 140,000km I have the red warning on the cluster and I got the code "C249F - SBC CONTROL MODULE FAILURE" can anyone please help to where I can buy a reliable replacement unit? MB dealer here wants $4,000 for a new unit +$1,000 in labor (I do not trust Ebay units as they may fail in weeks, months, years no one knows) any help will be appreciated thanks!
I believe Bosch do refurbs on these items, alternately the is a place in London that I have just used to have mine refurbished, I used before I found out about Bosch. Bosch did the original parts I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom