SBC buzzing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianp320

Car
E320 CDI
Hi I own a 2003 W211 (E320 CDI) and have this wonderfull sensotronic braking control system.....:(
Anyway, everytime i start the car I get a horrendous buzzing from the pump for about 3-5 seconds, again when I reverse off the drive etc etc, basically when i do any series of braking manouvers. and it seems to be getting worse.
I'm told by my dealer the pump is working fine as it's just maintaining the pressure and is normal, although mine is rather loud. To be honest it's driving me up the wall and not what I expect from a MB.
i.m told these pumps are approx £1000,
Anyone got any ideas how I can quieten this or get a replacement ?

Ian

visit the dealer and see what they say, if your lucky and its coming to end of its life they may replace it FOC, otherwise theres a few other fixes they can do to quieten it down, do a search on the forum, been discussed many many times

If you look down at the SBC pump from the front of the car there are some pipes below on the right hand side of it that are protected from the engine by an aluminium heat shield. Sometimes that heat shield ends up contacting a brake pipe. So one day when my pump started running it sounded absolutely terrible and ££££ signs floated before my eyes.

Just needed to bend the heat shield a little bit.

SBC pumps can vary in noise level and there is a fix available in terms of a damper kit.

Should be clear though that even if you get a new pump it is never going to be silent

If you search this forum, you will find a thread on how to make the pump quieter.

I love the SBC hold function and I will miss it when I trade it in for a newer model.

If you search this forum, you will find a thread on how to make the pump quieter.

I love the SBC hold function and I will miss it when I trade it in for a newer model.

hold function carried over to non SBC cars

Hi, just thought I'd give an update on this.
Went to dealer (Chelmsford MB). He said the pump sounds 'normal' but appreciates the comments as it's a common complaint. He said they can re flash with the latest software (at £60 !!) but this will hilight any faults which would not show on the cars diagnostics until much later. If this happens the pump is then in-operable and a new one is req'd straight away at £800 + £400 fitting .
I thus decided not to bother. I then asked about pipe dampers - he quoted £155 to fit. I phoned MB customer service today ref a goodwill jesture, they said they would not consider a car of my age (2003).
So looks as if I will have to pay. The dealer says they do not recommend the dampers as they may not work, but I'll give it a try and keep you posted.
So much for MB quality.. Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom