SBC c249f 'service break!' only needs programming??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marcxs

Hello all,

Recently, my newly bought 2003 e320 gave me the 'service break. Visit workshop!' fault in white.

So I took it to the dealer for service. The fault code was c249f. With the description saying 'check operating time...'. And that is without any noticeable change in breaking power.

From what i have read on forums, this fault code means that the sbc pump has reached its limit and needs to be replaced.

But that is not what the dealer told me.

The pump was diagnosed and the result was that the pressure was ok and everything was working properly. But it needed 'programming'. As they informed me that my sbc pump was replaced in 2007 in the US after being recalled, and it did not reach its limit yet.

Now the fault is gone from the dash, and the car is working properly as it always did.

What I like to know is:

1- did this happen to anyone on this forum before? If yes, what do you recommend?

2- how effective and accurate is the dealer's diagnosis in terms of evaluating the sbc unit, and determining its remaining lifetime?

3- if my sbc unit's counter was reset before, can they know it? (Can they know the real history of the unit regardless of the resets done by anyone?)

4- what does they exactly mean by saying 'programming'?

5- and lastly, is this car safe to drive?

Any comments and help will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Marc

SBC pumps were originally designed to stop working after a set number of brake applications.

I believe that the 'programming' involves increasing the memory space - or in other words allowing the SBC pump to brake more times before it decides it wants to be replaced.

This is a standard procedure when diagnosing SBC faults, only if this 'programming' fails then the garage would recommend a new SBC pump.

Thank you for your reply,

That was exactly what I have been told. But now I am abit uncomfortable driving it and waiting for the red fault to popup.
Almost 50% of my driving is going downhill, and that is on steep hills because I live in a mountainous area.

Will there be any early symptoms that show the sbc unit is going to fail?

As I was hoping I could get some answers on my other questions as well...

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom