SBC Groaning??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Decky

Car
2005 E280 CDI SPORT
Hi All

I have a late 2005 E280 CDI - SPORT

The module in the front left corner of the engine bay which I believe to be the SBC module groans randomly! The groaning lasts for 3-5 seconds at a time, sometimes when I turn the engine on or off, when rolling in slow traffic pr stopping at junctions. I can also make it groan by pumping the brake pedal twice with no key in....

Is this normal, anyone got any experience of this problem?
Is there something I can do to stop it / repair it or does the whole thing need replaced?

Its rather annoying and Im concerned maybe the braking system isnt working 100% as it should as a result of a fault in this module?

I've only had the car 2mths!

Thanks for any advice!

Sounds like a mooing cow trapped under the bonnet? Had my car for over three years, its always done this so I'd say its normal :D
Mercedes do a mounting kit mod to reduce the noise but I think you have to ask them for it.

Last edited:
Have you wonder where your servo is?

This is it, brake by wire. You will get used to it.

Be prepared for your 0800 mobilo number to keep it handy if it failed and if it is within 10 years old.

You can read how it works, it been posted here not very long ago. Do a search.

It's normal ;)

I just walked by my car the other day and nudged it with my bum and the SBC pump primed/groaned/mooed.

Thanks for the replies.

I can't believe this is considered 'normal' on a car of this stature, would see through it if it was a Kia or something! It's quite loud and very annoying.

Since posting this thread I have read that there is a history of issues with these units and that many people have had it replaced by their main dealerships FOC even if the car has been out of the MB service network and that some people who were refused replacement had success after contacting MB HQ. It also appears that MB extended the warranty on the unit to 10 years as there is a safety implication.

I am going to my MB dealer on Monday to return some parts So I will see what they have to say about it and post back!

Thanks

They will say its normal! Unless you have any warning lights coming on on the dash, there is nothing wrong with it.

Thanks for the replies.

I can't believe this is considered 'normal' on a car of this stature, would see through it if it was a Kia or something! It's quite loud and very annoying.

Since posting this thread I have read that there is a history of issues with these units and that many people have had it replaced by their main dealerships FOC even if the car has been out of the MB service network and that some people who were refused replacement had success after contacting MB HQ. It also appears that MB extended the warranty on the unit to 10 years as there is a safety implication.

I am going to my MB dealer on Monday to return some parts So I will see what they have to say about it and post back!

Thanks

This is Merc high tech in their own right. Welcome to the world of Merc.

Didn't you do an investigation before you part your cash or you just relying on the brand? Go to Ford, sure you will want to come back you missed all those technology. I bought a Mondeo back in 1994, it started to worn out within two years. I drove at 80mph and it started to leak oil. I bought a W202 and kept it for over 14 years from new.:bannana:

This is Merc high tech in their own right. Welcome to the world of Merc.

Didn't you do an investigation before you part your cash or you just relying on the brand? Go to Ford, sure you will want to come back you missed all those technology. I bought a Mondeo back in 1994, it started to worn out within two years. I drove at 80mph and it started to leak oil. I bought a W202 and kept it for over 14 years from new.:bannana:

This is actually my 3rd MB so I already like the brand and was partly going on previous experiences. Last one was a '99 E300TD and before that a ' 95 C220 i had no trouble with either apart from the rustly arches that came as standard with that generation!

For some reason I didnt notice it during test drive but now that Im aware of it, its all I seem to hear, its like having one of those annoying sqeeks under your seat! Overall I am delighted with the new car its just that neither of the older ones had such a noise that could be heard over the engine! Its dissapointing to hear that its considered 'normal' on an otherwise fantstic motor!

This is actually my 3rd MB so I already like the brand and was partly going on previous experiences. Last one was a '99 E300TD and before that a ' 95 C220 i had no trouble with either apart from the rustly arches that came as standard with that generation!

For some reason I didnt notice it during test drive but now that Im aware of it, its all I seem to hear, its like having one of those annoying sqeeks under your seat! Overall I am delighted with the new car its just that neither of the older ones had such a noise that could be heard over the engine! Its dissapointing to hear that its considered 'normal' on an otherwise fantstic motor!

Quicker brake by wire or just a little groaning?

So you not even aware of SBC-Hold then. It would be nice SBC-Stop also work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpvCoaRoQa4&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX2Nm...eature=related

http://fliiby.com/file/852272/i87jc7xjow.html

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/wheels-tyres/93717-sbc-probably-embarassing-question.html#post1028537

Last edited:
Went to the MB dealer in Belfast today...... guess what.... it is 'normal', they only consider changing the SBC as a 'good will gesture' if it creates an error in the dash! They did make sure to tell me that approval for FOC replacement was greatly improved with a MB stamped service book or at least some receipts for genuine parts purchased from the dealer, they also denied the 10yr warrenty on the SBC although Im not sure if this was USA only or included UK!

Guess I'll learn to live with it and maybe even not notice it in time! :)

they also denied the 10yr warrenty on the SBC although Im not sure if this was USA only or included UK!

It's probably classed as goodwill in UK.

Guess I'll learn to live with it and maybe even not notice it in time!

It's apparently worse on some RHD models.

Having experienced the benefits of SBC on a couple of occasions I'm convinced it's a good thing. I don't notice the noise any more.

Who notice the braking is faster? I don't.

Would you believe it...... 2 days after being to the MB dealer and leaving relatively happy in the knowledge that the SBC groaning was normal and my car had no issues then this evening I go out to put the car in the garage and now the dash shows...

((!)) Brake service - visit workshop!

80% of anything I can find online for this error results in SBC unit replacement! Rear pads/sensors are <4mths old and front are <1mth old. I think I'll get my indo guy to check the error with STAR before making the 75mile trip back to the dealer!

Grrrrrr!

Who notice the braking is faster? I don't.

Try chatting to the missus/observing totty/whatever, then looking up and finding stationery traffic rapidly approaching.:eek: Come off the throttle rapidly and you'll find the brakes are almost 'on' before you get to them. Uncanny but very quick.

Called MB dealer today, they seemed fairly familiar with the whole SBC conversation when I expalined the dash error message and why I was calling. It was worth while doing a little online research before hand as I was able to convey a little knowledge of the known SBC issue making it harder for them to try to blow me off.

Much to my surprise, it was easier than expected to get approval for the 'good will gesture' FOC replacement. They called me back within 20mins and car is now booked in for wednesday week! There were no questions asked either about previous out of network service history etc so pretty happy! :)

SBC module replaced yesterday FOC!
Dropped it off in the morning and picked it up at 5 no questions!
Job done (although the new unit makes the same noise as the old one)! :)

And it will continue to do so!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom