SBC pump goodwill refusal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

w124coupe

I would not normally cross refer to the "other UK forum" but a member has posted his letter from MBUK refusing goodwill on an E-Class SBC pump replacement.

Car is under 5 years old and under 30k miles.

As most know, the pump has a 10 year warranty in the USA (see addendum below) - this does NOT exist for MBUK...

Discuss.......

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Pathetic a world wide organisation supplying virtually identical vehicles can offer different warranties on key items depending on country.

I'm sure MB are not the only ones though ......

Cross referring to the "other UK forum"? - shocking and shouldn't be allowed.

:ban:

Pathetic a world wide organisation supplying virtually identical vehicles can offer different warranties on key items depending on country.

I'm sure MB are not the only ones though ......

Not by a long shot.

It's down to marketing, regulations, and customer expectation. In Malaysia 5K and 10K service intervals are the norm for some models (km not miles!) which use European and Japanese engines + transmissions that are rated at double or triple those intervals in cars sold in Europe.

Similarly warranties in the US on some electronics goods (eg. calculators) used to be just 90 days back in the 70s when 1 year was the norm here.

However the fact that these discrepancies exist in other areas and sectors doesn't let MB off the hook as regards being shamed on this matter. It's an appalling discrepancy.

As someone who has just had the SBC pump replaced, at MBUK's cost, on my 6 year old car, I'd be interested to understand the reason for their refusal to replace the unit under goodwill. I have also heard of MB in Edinburgh replacing these gratis after the initial 3 years is up. May just be on specific faults...

I don't want to copy/paste the letter over here as its personal to the guy.

The letter just says the car is in its 5th year and no goodwill will be offered.

The letter just says the car is in its 5th year and no goodwill will be offered.

I'll take a short trip to the darkside and ask :thumb:

Don't forget that the SBC on US vehicles is of a different specification to European vehicles. We have Mobilo here in Europe, they have nothing like it in the US. As has been said in previous posts, Mercedes-Benz has different warranties for different countries\continents.

I would be more interested as to why one individual has had to pay for the repair, when all other car owners have had goodwill repairs. Has the owner got a full MB service history? Has their been any DIY servicing? Has the vehicle been wrote off? Is it a high mileage vehicle?

SBC pump is guranteed for life here.. I had a 52 car done just a few weeks ago.. and have had many more done over the last couple of years.

SBC pump is guranteed for life here.. I had a 52 car done just a few weeks ago.. and have had many more done over the last couple of years.

Anecdotal or do you have something written?

Don't forget that the SBC on US vehicles is of a different specification to European vehicles. We have Mobilo here in Europe, they have nothing like it in the US. As has been said in previous posts, Mercedes-Benz has different warranties for different countries\continents.

I would be more interested as to why one individual has had to pay for the repair, when all other car owners have had goodwill repairs. Has the owner got a full MB service history? Has their been any DIY servicing? Has the vehicle been wrote off? Is it a high mileage vehicle?

I posed the same questions re service history etc earlier today and await the answer....(mileage is 29,000).

In what way is SBC different "over there"?

I must be missing something here. OK it's bad that something fails after only 5 years, but why would there be any expectation of a contribution 2 years after the warranty has ended? :dk:

From my point of view, a few reasons:

The SBC pump was a Mercedes-only experiment with the braking system that was removed after 3 years at the first facelift.

It costs £600 plus approx £600 labour to replace at the dealer.

It fails after (anecdotally) about 350,000 presses of the brake pedal. If true, this means its a £1,200 consumable in the braking system. There are many failing now and all the E-class models fitted with it are now out of warranty (unless registered after the facelift models came out in June06).

Many SBC pumps have been replaced as goodwill post-warranty on plates as old as 52. This one was refused (but we don't have confirmation of service history).

The SBC pump has a supplemental 10 year unlimited mileage warranty on cars sold in the USA - provided by MBUSA.

You could always paste a link ..:thumb:

Now I wonder how this would stand up to the sale of goods act...often uses 6 years as the benchmark - and if it can be proved that mercedes a) have changed others over 3 years of age and b) offer 10 years on this part {therefore admitting albeit, by inference, that they suspect it wont last) in USA I think they are on thin ice.

In what way is SBC different "over there"?
Is n'tit sad how they have all jumped on this band wagon without knowing.

It is a very cut down version that has none of the features we have in Europe.

What do they say about the US also not having Mobilo or anything similar?

Itis plain wrong for them to try tpo compare warranties. I like what jay has said but it would be nice to see it in black and white

EPC shows the same SBC pump part number variations by model for Europe and North America.

The issue is not the software revisions removing, for example, SBC Stop but the heart of the SBC hardware system.

I like what Jay says too (but my dealer says there is no such thing, all "out of warranty" SBC pumps have to be submitted for goodwill consideration to MB).

I like the printed MBUSA document better - it is clear (10 years, unlimited mileage) and states the terms (car serviced to spec).

If it turns out the "other poster" failed to have brake fluid replaced as required (or similar) then he clearly does not "deserve" goodwill as he may have hastened failure. The refusal letter from MBUK, however, cites only the vehicle age as the reason for refusal.

Is n'tit sad how they have all jumped on this band wagon without knowing.

It is a very cut down version that has none of the features we have in Europe.

AIUI the underlying electrics and mechanicals are the same. The software is what is different.

yes technically they have to apply for contribution from MB.. but my dealer says that every SBC pump has had full contribution from them so far.

As someone who has just had the SBC pump replaced, at MBUK's cost, on my 6 year old car, I'd be interested to understand the reason for their refusal to replace the unit under goodwill. I have also heard of MB in Edinburgh replacing these gratis after the initial 3 years is up. May just be on specific faults...

MB Edinburgh are indeed excellent with their response to this problem.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/71457-sbc-brake-pump.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom