Sbc pump life problem - which cars are affected ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnsco

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E280CDI SPORTS ESTATE and C200 KOMPRESSOR SE Coupe Auto (1.8 lit petrol)
My mate has just crashed his jag and fancies a Mercedes.
He asked me which cars suffer from the problems of SBC life which features often in this section.
I know the W211 suffers from this.
Another friend with an E270 is holding his breath.
Can anyone advise which cars are affected with this problem/
Thanks.
John

Just spent 1500 replacing myn.

He asked me which cars suffer from the problems of SBC life which features often in this section.
I know the W211 suffers from this.

SBC was deleted from the W211 with the mid-2006 faceilft.

It disappeared from the first generation CLS about the same time. But it's not so clear cut.

The CL and SL had it for longer until the models were replaced.

I have a 2004 S211. The prices are significantly below the phase 2s, and the cars are often better equipped; I prefer the pre facelift leather as well. I think it's a no brainer. Buy a cheaper phase 1 and keep the <£2k in the glovebox should a SBC pump be needed (which it may not be). Just check on the gearbox/rad combo, or that a air oil cooler has been fitted to bypass the potentially faulty radiator/box heat exchanger.
On all used 211s with a few miles on I would delete the EGR (shunt to do this on these forums) and remove the swirl flaps.

I thought you could reset the pump count. I'm currently at 91k mls so hope to be ok for a while

I thought you could reset the pump count. I'm currently at 91k mls so hope to be ok for a while

It is possible - assuming yours hasn't been done already though - you don't want to find out the hard way it had been done once or twice before!

It depends on how many times the brake pedal has been used. I had to rest my pump at 90k on my old W211.

My current W211 is on 103k at nothing so far.

It's done on presses. I think the default is 150,000. Mine had a recall job done on it back in 2011 and I complained about the SBC (even though in hindsight, it was fine, it just makes more noise if you turn the engine off during a pump cycle). They upgraded the firmware which I believe extends this to 300,000 presses.

So mileage is not really an indicator of how close it is to needing replacement.

PCS near Portsmouth will give it a go, if it can't be resetted they won't charge you. However, if it does work then it will only cost £250.

Mercedes will just get you to replace the whole unit at £1.6k+ I believe.

Just had SBC counter reset,bloke came to the house and charged 200 quid mine is a 2004 320cdi biggest con ever by mercs. Reassured me that if it ever needs resetting again he will do it for free

Bear in mind these pumps have a finite life...

Had mine reset worked for a year or so and then had to replace it £1500.

Had mine reset worked for a year or so and then had to replace it £1500.

Did they stick a new one on or was it recon'd?

As with Major774, PCS (Portsmouth) did a successful reset on my E270 cdi - Olly's the man (he seems to have a Hollywood triple 'A' rating on this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom