SBC pumps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Clkrichard

Car
2011 CLC 220cdi 2004 CLK 320 cabriolet, R230 SL500, A class Sport AMG now arrived.
I know that these can fail after a specific number of brake applications and that refurbishment is theoretically not possible.
I also know that having the counter reset is possible but means taking a calculated risk. I guess the warning message doesnt necessarily point to pump failure and more to the usage count though.
I also know MB have pretty much stopped contributing and replacement costs are the wrong side of £1,000.
My question therefore is one of prudent maintenance.
Can Star determine the number of brake applications left before the counter triggers the first warning ? I.e. can you get a degree of advance warning ?

When I asked MB in 2011, they told me you can't. They said you can only tell whether or not it has expired.

The counter is there for a reason and I am just not sure about extending it but imagine thats something to consider when the first warning appears.

I had my sbc reset after seeing the warning light 'Service brake visit workshop'. Apparently, there will be a red warning light if the sbc fails completely. In my case, I was told that the counter had reached the end of its cycle.

PCS ('Olly' the man with a triple 'A' rating on this forum) successfully reset it at a reasonable cost.

Mercedes HQ don't want to know unless the vehicle is under 3 yrs old in which case you may try and see if they are willing to a contribution, if at all.

Mine doesnt need it I was just idly curious to see if it can be anticipated .
Olly already looks after the car

Mercedes HQ don't want to know unless the vehicle is under 3 yrs old in which case you may try and see if they are willing to a contribution, if at all.

LOL, all cars with SBC are at least 7 years old now.

Not all can be re-set.

I would say about 50% can be.

Do you know what's the reason? Is that because it already has been reset (I know it can be done only once or twice but have not knowledge where/how that information is stored in the system), or is that because there are two 'generations' of SBC systems (found out that can be defined in DASSim mode) where later, updated system has perhaps different coding and trigger levels?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom