SBC Replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

billyfromfife

Car
Mercedes E270
Hi there,

I'm new to the site and have read through many threads to see if I could find the answer before posting!

I have a 2003 E270 CDi and having not problems as such with the SBC as in there are no fault codes, warnings on dash but it does run quite loud and therefore may be on the road out. I know that it pressurises and will make a noise but I also had an estate same model etc and that seemed to be a lot quieter. I've looked into replacing the unit but my question is this:
Do the numbers have to match exactly on a replacement unit or is there certain units that are compatible? I've worked out the Bosch part number (02659018) and hopefully Merc Number (A0044319912)

Any help will be much appreciated and apologies if this question has been answered in another thread.

Hi there,
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I have read through a lot of the threads with the hope of find someone who had replaced this themselves or experiences with trying to. My diagnostics does the procedure of disabling and enabling, bleeding etc but will check for the activation count. I have removed the unit and its the internal bearing that sounds dry. It doesn't seem like you can split the unit to remove the motor.

I wouldnt worry about the noise, some are worse than others ive had 3 different cars all with SBC and they have all acted differently

Mine used to be quite loud but has quietened down... they are weird :D

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
part 1 of 5 , maybe of some help . im sure mb had some feet or something also for the pump to sit on to lesson the noise levels.

part 1 of 5 , maybe of some help . im sure mb had some feet or something also for the pump to sit on to lesson the noise levels.

I've watched this previously and countless others but none go as far as I'm needing although I particularly remember this guy droning on! MB supply a dampening kit but the noise of mine is in the actual motor itself and don't think will make much of a difference. With having removed it and it looking like the one in the video you can hear how dry and rough the motor sounds on the internal bearing. If they weren't so dear second hand I would buy one to split to see if there is a repair option or if you split it you need a new one. Just hoped that someone had been there first and could share the results!

I wouldnt worry about the noise, some are worse than others ive had 3 different cars all with SBC and they have all acted differently
I know myself that the majority of them around this year are all the same and that there are no faults with mine other than its noisy, its just when it come for the time of selling I don't want it putting anyone off. And I'm also at the stage where I don't like to be defeated and want to repair it myself (with a little advice from here!) without the need of renewing.

I understand, but prospective buyer should know about SBC, Tel them about it also.

If they do there homework they should realise ts a great system.

Point them to this thread :)

I understand, but prospective buyer should know about SBC, Tel them about it also.

If they do there homework they should realise ts a great system.

Yeah Gav initially I had my worries but you really sold it to me lol, I love it now.

It stops my 2 and a half tonne wagon on a dime

It saved me on the a12 when i though the lorry infront was about to Jack knife! Thats what sold it tome also.

Lets face it if you had to replace a Brake Servo and Master cylinder on a Modern Mercedes the price im sure would be similar to the cost of a SBC unit.
Basically tome its just a serviceable item that requires replacement at some point. One im prepared to pay.

My one on the e55 was done in 2010.

I've had occasion to use its full power on a couple of occasions and its brilliant. Feels like your eyeballs will drop out:D
OK, not cheap to replace the pump in the worst scenario, but its a very efficient braking system.

It saved me on the a12 when i though the lorry infront was about to Jack knife! Thats what sold it tome also.

Lets face it if you had to replace a Brake Servo and Master cylinder on a Modern Mercedes the price im sure would be similar to the cost of a SBC unit.
Basically tome its just a serviceable item that requires replacement at some point. One im prepared to pay.

My one on the e55 was done in 2010.

Gav, you are so right. The brake servo on my CLK was near £500 from Merc

I think a lot of people (including me) got scared by horror stories, but really if you’re sensible and get it sorted when an error message comes up then you have no issues with losing brakes. A lot of people just ignore warnings then get angry when the brakes stop working lol

You get plenty of warning anyway when it’s on it’s way out (I hope :p)

Well I got to test the sbc system today as an idiot decided to pull out........ my head almost came off ****ing heck it’s good :D

Billy,
How are you getting along with the SBC pump strip down??

Steve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom