SBC Warning Reset?? good idea?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc85

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 500
On my quest for a e55, ive come a cross a few cars that have had the Sbc counter reset.

This worries me abit tbh, Do you think it's a good idea or not,and if the counter has been reset do you still get the white warnings before the RED warning and No brakes (very little) brakes.

SBC can only be reset if the conditions are met and STAR allows it. It's not reset so much as the count is extended, as MB found they had set the original limit rather conservatively.

All the usual warnings will be displayed as and when needed.

Won't be an issue, had it done on my old W211 CDI and no problems afterwards.

Check the code on the SBC pump and you can tell if it's the original one. There is a thread somewhere, someone has attached the codes so you can find out what year the pump was manufactured.

Found out my pump was manufactured later, so one of the previous owners must have got it sorted out.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/wheels-tyres-brakes-suspension/183432-sbc-pump-date-code.html

I know you are on the hunt for a good E55, but you just have to go for one someday. Even a mint one will have something wrong.

When I bought mine I wanted no sunroof, keyless go, bootlid closure, comand and no rear arch rust bubbles. Then I try and maintain as much as I can so I turn it into a minter. My first job is to always strip out a fair amount of the interior for cleaning and replacing any missing screws etc... with OEM bits. You can find out a lot of the history of the car from these hidden treasures :D

Last edited:
Let's be honest here guys:

In the last 10-15 years on this forum, how many people have had serious SBC problems. Consider that it's fitted to loads of early mid '00s cars - 211 E class, 219 CLS, R230 SL - many of which are popular with members here. Sort of puts it into context IMHO.

Worst case scenario a new pump isn't the end of the world. But in all honesty I still think most of these cars are on their original with no issues.

I would just forget about it. The system will let you know of any issues. No point worrying about it other than that IMHO.

No disrespect but as with many of the well known/documented car issues on the internet, it seems to be more of a concern for people who've never experienced a problem than for those who have :eek:

Let's be honest here guys:

In the last 10-15 years on this forum, how many people have had serious SBC problems. Consider that it's fitted to loads of early mid '00s cars - 211 E class, 219 CLS, R230 SL - many of which are popular with members here. Sort of puts it into context IMHO.

Worst case scenario a new pump isn't the end of the world. But in all honesty I still think most of these cars are on their original with no issues.

I would just forget about it. The system will let you know of any issues. No point worrying about it other than that IMHO.

No disrespect but as with many of the well known/documented car issues on the internet, it seems to be more of a concern for people who've never experienced a problem than for those who have :eek:

I love Sbc braking system, I'm just the sort of person who if its count expires would rather fit a NEW Sbc unit , i'm fussy when it comes to the up keep of my cars, But if people are saying Resetting is fine than thats cool. I didnt know so thought id ask the question.

Cheers for the replies peeps

I love Sbc braking system, I'm just the sort of person who if its count expires would rather fit a NEW Sbc unit , i'm fussy when it comes to the up keep of my cars, But if people are saying Resetting is fine than thats cool. I didnt know so thought id ask the question.

Cheers for the replies peeps

I don't think people reset anything, you can extend the counter that triggers a workshop message.

From what I recall, MB/Bosch conservatively set a trigger for a workshop message after a set amount of use, this was found to be under estimated by something like a factor of three.

If MB themselves are happy to extend the lifespan of this component, then I wouldn't worry. They wouldn't take a chance on brakes IMHO.

I have done many of them now. Not seen one back with SBC failure IIRC.

Mine was reset twice. Finally all the warning lights came on and I replaced the unit Gav as you know.
It's no problem having it reset like the expert above says.

Thanks, sorry I meant extended my use of the word reset was incorrect. Apreciate the replies , that's good to know HB :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom