Scam or not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l5foye

Car
ML 300CDI
I am selling wheels for a vintage car. I get a message from a female who says she wants to buy them but cannot collect them personally (she works offshore, allegedly)
She says she will pay via Paypal but wants my address to pass onto a courier agent. Does this sound fishy? I am reluctant to pass on my address .Am I being too suspicious?

I would run as many miles as the rims have travelled.

Scam

There are so many variations of scams involving buyer can't collect (Disabled/works off shore/too busy etc) and "I'll get my courier to collect" and PayPal (not as described etc). May be genuine, but I'd be wary. Perhaps asking one or two friendly questions about the vehicle the buyer is going to put the wheels on might clarify things a bit.

Given the number of calls that eBay sellers are getting from 'off shore workers', I have this image in my mind of the UK as empty island, with the entire UK population scattered between a multitude of overcrowded oil drilling platforms in the North Sea, using their mobile phones to make eBay purchases.

Scam, no paypal bank transfer only.

That will require giving her the bank account details....

And PayPal will reverse a transaction at the drop of a hat, which is great for buyers but not so much for sellers.

Hi,
This is guaranteed to be a scam.
You will get paid via Paypal - but the funds will be reversed after your wheels have been shipped.
The funds will have come from a stolen credit card and you will lose your wheels and the money!
Accept cash or bank transfer only (even bank transfers can be reversed if funds have been received from dodgy source, I believe)
Cheers
Steve

Sounds fishy to me. If you get paid via Paypal and the buyer lodges a complaint of goods not received, Paypal will ask YOU to provide your courier details and proof that the item has been delivered.
I would be looking to arrange delivery via courier myself at an absolute minimum so I can prove to Paypal goods delivered. Otherwise you are running the risk of being scammed out of some wheels.
It also means you can arrange appropriate insurance, as if the items get damaged and are under insured, I wonder who will be picking up the pieces!
As per Skd884's post, bank transfer payment FIRST gets round all your risk.

Scammers usually use female buyers, particularly for 'mens' stuff like this, because the know men are suckers for women and are naively often more trusting of a woman buyer.
I would treat every purchase as if it could be a potential scam.
Stay safe out there!

Open a nil balance saving account. Give that sort code and account number. Ask for payment there, NOT PayPal.

That way, can't be clawed back (as can with PayPal) and no one can set up dodgy direct debits on you account (as they could on a current account).

AFAIK nothing can go wrong if someone knows a saving account number, especially if it's a new, nil balance, account.

Was it advertised on Ebay and if so do they have a good feedback rating ?
Paypal is great unless a problem arises and they decide to refund the buyer, tell her to pay cash on collection or transfer to your bank account.
Are we talking lots of money ?
I've sold many items on ebay without any issues, most people are genuine, just try to be wary and not to keen to sell, if they really want it they will find a way that suits you.

Thing is
If I needed to arrange 'hermes' for example to collect goods and deliver to me then yes I would need your address
Not sure what to do on payment

Definitely a con as said above PayPal can be reversed so you loose money and wheel's

I think I might have fallen for this!

Surely if they're genuine they wouldn't mind doing a bank transfer instead?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom