Scam phone call.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
I got a phone call last week like the ones in this thread:

Have i just been scammed? - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

One of the questions was they wanted my home address to send some stuff there and was I going on holiday this year.

Yeah right - would you like my house keys too?

I suspect the scam is to sell toners for £325 rather than to break in to your house but seems dodgy to me.

I declined their 'free' toner as well.

Beware should you receive a call!

Is it just me that tell`s them not interested before they even tell you what`s on offer?

No Dash - the moment they ask "is that Mr Charles Morgan" I tell them where to go.

No Dash - the moment they ask "is that Mr Charles Morgan" I tell them where to go.

I know,my assistent called you the other day as I wanted to ask something

...but they may want a wine cellar...and your web site does say to ask for you?:confused:

I have had a few calls recently where companies I actually do business with call me and say, "Before we go any further, can you answer some security questions?".

Needless to say the call ends there and then.

I have had a few calls recently where companies I actually do business with call me and say, "Before we go any further, can you answer some security questions?".

It always amazes me. We are told not to give out personal info, and yet are expected to when they ring us???:confused:

Probably why I have no customers, but I have yet to come across anybody in real life who asks for 'Mr' Charles Morgan, following on from the period of silence while their automated dialling system from overseas connects the call. Real people ask for the company name or for Charles Morgan and have a recognisable number rather than an international nonsense one.

True...BTW haven't you moved? Your old address is on the website.

Yes.

A good point.

Also be aware if they ask for your email address at work. People often set up "Out of Office" replies that automatically tell senders that you are away until a certain date!!!

Most email clients can be set up so as NOT TO REPLY to internet based emails, only internal ones.

I don't want to awaken the "anti-Neurotic" group but it was just a thought prompted by this thread. It it helps only one person, then it's worthwhile.

I get calls and they cant even get my name right.They say please could I speak to Merk Grey-ham (instead of Mark Graham) and I just say nobody of that name lives here and hang up.:dk:

That hurts,you can never have enough of them :eek:
The word assistent should ring bells,you know I don`t have one

I can quite believe, given a little time, you will end up with more than one!

My father-in-law has a whistle by the phone, and will blow it into the receiver at the slightest provocation - seems to make him happy.

The place I used to work had a good system, always tell sales callers that they need to speak to 'Mr Thompson', and that he was out of the office.
Every time after when they called back and asked for the elusive and fictitious Mr Thompson, would you believe it, he had just gone to lunch/golf/holiday/pub or diversion of ones choice.

Is it just me that tell`s them not interested before they even tell you what`s on offer?

I used to avoid the calls altogether as I could spend all my life talking and not doing my job.

However, I started taking them again as these mofos keep ringing back and upset our customer service bods.

The number I get has fallen as most don't phone back so it is working - but then I get this sort of call.

When they ask me "Before we go any further, can you answer some security questions?". I reply "Certainly, no problem."
Then when they ask to confirm my name / address / DOB, I simply say "Sorry, I'm not prepared to answer that question due to security concerns.".

It confuses them but makes me chuckle.

I deal with these in a variety of ways, depending on my mood ....
1) hang up
2) heavy breathing - no words
3) be polite but deaf - make them shout, then say not interested/already got one.
4) put the phone to a radio and leave it till they hang up (not long!)
5) tell them I'm so rich, I have others that do these things for me and give them a made up telephone number.
6) with pitches for health & safety inspections, tell them I don't bother with that sort of thing, there is a good paramedic service in my area if someone is electrocuted - had some great reactions to that one!
7) just plain lie about everything, DoB name, address etc

The idea is to get yourself off their calling list so you're not bothered again.

HMRC and your bank will only write to you, be aware.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom