Scammers- but what is the point?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l5foye

Car
ML 300CDI
Recently I have come across websites offering items (eg ride on lawnmowers) at very low prices- so low as to be very suspicious. The sites offer secure payment methods with the usual credit card companies. What I am at a loss to understand is what exactly is the point. I assume if goods have been ordered and paid for but not delivered, the credit card company will refund the customer and I assume will pursue the vendor. If a vendor defaults more than once, would the credit companies' fraud prevention actions not come in to play?

Recently I have come across websites offering items (eg ride on lawnmowers) at very low prices- so low as to be very suspicious. The sites offer secure payment methods with the usual credit card companies. What I am at a loss to understand is what exactly is the point. I assume if goods have been ordered and paid for but not delivered, the credit card company will refund the customer and I assume will pursue the vendor. If a vendor defaults more than once, would the credit companies' fraud prevention actions not come in to play?

I have been a victim of a similar fraud. O ordered a tools set from a website that turned out to be a fake clone of the real website.

The toolkit didn't materialise, instead I received some junk jewellery from China.

To cut a long story short, a polite lady from China explained to me that they bought the orders, basically the fraudsters converted my order to an order of (much cheaper) junk Jewellery, and the Chinese company took the loss unfortunately when my credit card was refunded.

Here's another apparently pointless scam.
We received random parcels from Amazon, apparently ordered on our account, but paid for by the scammer!

Amazon don't want it back. There is no financial loss to us.

They are very odd items:
Box of red nose tissues
HDTV antenna
random pieces of cosmetic jewellery
4 large orange hoodies

A mystery to me

We received random parcels from Amazon, apparently ordered on our account, but paid for by the scammer!

They are very odd items:
Box of red nose tissues
HDTV antenna
4 large orange hoodies

A mystery to me

These items may have been purchased through hacking someone's Amazon account, the items were then meant to be intercepted outside your front door when the delivery van arrives. If the scanners lost access to the Amazon account before the goods were delivered, then they were unable to know where the Anazon van was and therefore unable to intercept the deliveries.

They are very odd items:
Box of red nose tissues
HDTV antenna
4 large orange hoodies

A mystery to me
Bizarre..

Could it be a False Flag.: Some thieving twunts have got stolen payment details/card, so as well as purchasing the items they want themselves they also order random items for various other people so that anyone investigating the fraud is presented with numerous suspects rather than a trail straight to the culprits.??

These items may have been purchased through hacking someone's Amazon account, the items were then meant to be intercepted outside your front door when the delivery van arrives. If the scanners lost access to the Amazon account before the goods were delivered, then they were unable to know where the Anazon van was and therefore unable to intercept the deliveries.
I thought that might be possible, but they used their own card rather than the one on the account and kept ordering stuff over a period of a month or so before we noticed. We didn't realise that the parcels were not "ours" because it was close to a significant birthday and we thought other people were sending stuff for that. So the boxes weren't opened until the birthday.
So they had plenty of opportunity to intercept parcels but never did.
Even if it was the case, why order a box of red nose tissues???
1714485670755.png

We figured this must have been it, but even so it was a bit half-assed. One review was left.
Why buy multiples of the same thing? 4 orange hoodies?? They were quite pricey. Surely one would have done.
Box of tissues?? Who would care about reviews for those?
Anyway, password changed and its all stopped now.

We figured this must have been it, but even so it was a bit half-assed. One review was left.
Why buy multiples of the same thing? 4 orange hoodies?? They were quite pricey. Surely one would have done.
Box of tissues?? Who would care about reviews for those?
Anyway, password changed and its all stopped now.
Possibly testing the scam out to see if anyone noticed? I've had this on our eBay account where scammers have tried to sell items for £1.99 but have been stopped. Presumably testing for a big hit.

Possibly testing the scam out to see if anyone noticed? I've had this on our eBay account where scammers have tried to sell items for £1.99 but have been stopped. Presumably testing for a big hit.
But they were using their own money! I think whatever it was (probably the brush thing), their heart wasn’t in it for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom