Scanned Docs into word

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nigel cross

MB Enthusiast
Car
W164 ML350 Audi S4
Does anyone know of a good software product that allows a scanned document to be converted into a word doc so can be edited?
Free one would be nice .
Thanks

Does anyone know of a good software product that allows a scanned document to be converted into a word doc so can be edited?
Free one would be nice .
Thanks

Are we talking a JPG/something or a PDF?

Anything I have ever used has ended up involving more work for checking/correcting than retyping in the first place.

There are PDF to Word convertors out there that are slighly better but not that much, especially if you are looking for a free version. Not got a friend who is a copy typist and would do it for a few drinks?

Last edited:
Doesn't answer your question directly, but lots of useful information here

I have ScanSoft OmniPage SE, which was bundled with with my Canon scanner. It works pretty well, given a decent quality scan.

scan to word

Try ScanWizard which I'm pretty sure can be freely downloaded from Microtek.

Scan the document to OCR (optical character recognition), and the file is an editable word processor document. It may have a few bits needing correcting, but I've done dozens of pages this way without too much aggro.

Also there is an OCR program (whose name now escapes me - maybe TextBridge ?) which will 'unPDF' PDF documents when the PDF icon is dropped onto the application icon.

Geoff

I assume you have a scanner already? If so, check to see which software has been bundled with the scanner - as already suggested the only two scanners I've ever installed came with OCR software.

Also there is an OCR program (whose name now escapes me - maybe TextBridge ?) which will 'unPDF' PDF documents when the PDF icon is dropped onto the application icon.

Convert PDF to Word (DOC) — 100% Free! will do the PDF to Word conversion for you but only if the PDF document contains text as text - not text as an image - in the PDF document.

Office (2007 version anyway), has its own - Document Scanning/Documing Imaging apps, in the 'Microsoft Office Tools' program folder.

i have scansoft omnipage se, which was bundled with with my canon scanner. It works pretty well, given a decent quality scan.

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom