Scarappage Scheme - The Merc could be toast..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crammy69

Car
2001 W210 E55 AMG,2010 Fiat 500 1.2,2002 Triumph America,LML Star 125 DLX,1984 C70,2011 Thruxton
The Mrs has been hankering after a change of car and as the Zafira is nearly 7 years old, I reckon she's paid her dues putting up with it for so long!. She fancies one of them new Fiat 500's, as she does'nt need so much space now the Lad rides to school on his bike and she only has the daughter to ferry around.

The thing is with the scrappage scheme I can effectively get £2000 for my old Coupe, which given its age, mileage and engine size ( and suspected gearbox issues) I reckon I wouldnt get real world by selling it privately.

Ive yet to speak with the FIAt people, but from what ive read, without a part-ex you wouldnt get much off the list price as these things are flying ou the door at the moment.

The thing is, I feel quite dishonourable in some way in contempalting this , knowing that a car that could give someone pleasure for a few years to come ( with a bit of expenditure no doubt) would be crushed.

From an MB point of view this would allow me to use her Zafira to trade in against another Merc ( Im admiring Jays 2002 S320L on his site at the moment) and kill 2 birds as it were.

Guidance please!

Before you do it, let me pop round and swap some of the scruffier bits from mine (wheels, bumper inserts, seat belt spring covers etc.) ;)

Ade

Ps. Don't do it! Surely a gearbox repair is cheaper than
a new car... :)

I know what you mean, I scrapped my trusty Passat so my wife could get a CLK.

I was a bit gutted, it drove smooth as and was a quality car which I had maintained for years. Returned 60+ mpg, had all the toys I needed.

But hey, life is too short to keep looking back....

Before you do it, let me pop round and swap some of the scruffier bits from mine (wheels, bumper inserts, seat belt spring covers etc.) ;)

Ade

Well Ive just looked at Broadspeed and they appear to have some pre-reg prices just £700 more than the scrappage adjusted price, in which case it wouldnt make sense to let the car go for effectively £700 , if that is indeed the case.

Im 90% pretty sure were going to get a new/newer car for her indoors its just a case of wroking out the best way of doing it. Given my hard earned Tax payments are being given away on new cars, I feel I should try and get a bit back!.

As regards stripping the car, I reckon that would be fair game, given they are going to scrap it, thye cant sell it on so, so long as it has an MOT and can move, they shouldnt care. I of course would be stripping out the stereo and speakers, spare wheel, tools etc etc!. If it all comes off Ill give you a shout and see what we can get away with!

I was joking, but come to think of it I did break the pull out handle off the spare wheel cover, & then there's the dog claw scratched burl to the gear lever surround etc etc :D

Ade

Ade

and engine if is good here :))

Well Ive just looked at Broadspeed and they appear to have some pre-reg prices just £700 more than the scrappage adjusted price, in which case it wouldnt make sense to let the car go for effectively £700 , if that is indeed the case.

Hi crammy69 - I bought a Fiat Grande Punto Sporting for my girlfriend from Broadspeed a year ago and the deals (on Fiats anyway) are genuine. For Fiat, they used a company based in Derbyshire called Company Car Direct who obviously get a fleet discount and this is passed onto you. The car was then supplied by genuine Fiat dealer based in York...but hey, they delivered it free! The only downside is we had to wait 3 months for the car but it was a factory order so you may not have this problem if you don't have specific specification requirements.

Broadspeed didn't work when I tried to get a discount on my new C63 AMG - unlike the Fiat, they put you straight thought to a Mercedes dealer then it's up to the dealer if they honour the Broadspeed price....which they didn't! :mad:

Basically though, with Fiat I can confirm that it all seems to work seamlessly and it makes more sense at the prices you've mentioned than scrapping what you've got.

Quick update - I have today called Broadspped and they have said they cannot offer any discount at all on the 500, due to the scrappage scheme there is a shortage of the cars available!. I also called a main dealer who advertises on Ebay and they could only offer me list price for September delivery with NO scrappage availability, but they can offer a November Delivery with te scrappage scheme.

So, if the Mrs is set on a 500, then the Merc is likley to have to go. Ill make a few more calls to see if I can get a straight discount off list, but the FIAT dealer was very confident that they wont offer any and this would be reflected country wide. Mad!. Im sure the story would be differetn if I were to by a Punto, Focus, Astra or something less in demand, as I sure you could get a decent discount off list that would make the actual part-ex value of the Merc irrelevent.

Swap you the coupé for my 300TE then :D ;)

Will

It couldn't hurt to put the Merc up for sale in the classifieds on this website and see what you might get for it ( costs nothing to try ) .

If you can get anywhere at all near the 2K , you might be happier seeing it live on ?

Swap you the coupé for my 300TE then :D ;)

Will

Unfortunatley the car has to have been registered in mine or the wifes name for a year to qualify. The In-laws have the ideal car for scapping ( a P reg Corsa in multi shades of red/pink!) as its worth about £600 tops. In fact perhaps I could buy the new car in the father in laws name, get the scrappage, then re-register the car in wifes name one month later??? that way I can give them an easy out of their car and the Merc lives on. Have to see how that would work. Thanks for the inspiration Will!!

It couldn't hurt to put the Merc up for sale in the classifieds on this website and see what you might get for it ( costs nothing to try ) .

If you can get anywhere at all near the 2K , you might be happier seeing it live on ?

True, but given I would be honest about the gearbox having at least a 50/50 chance of needing £600-900 spent on it, I reckon it would be a hard sell at anything but a bargain price. But a good idea all the same, thanks.

In fact perhaps I could buy the new car in the father in laws name, get the scrappage, then re-register the car in wifes name one month later???

Yes, perfectly legal, although the car will show one extra owner when you come to sell it on. You can even re-register it the same day.
The other way is to sell all the good bits off the Merc first. Fiat don't care what condition the scrappage car is in as long as it's road legal and MOTed.

agreed, scrap the Vauxhall and keep/sell the merc. re-register the car in your name after the sale.

i very much doubt number of previous owners will make any real difference to resale value; especially if you sell privatly and explain to the buyer what you've done. best to do it straight away (ie same day or something) otherwise it may appear the car was a dog and its been returned and then re-sold a month later again etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom