Scared to fire her up!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

portzy

MB Enthusiast
Car
An SLK R171 with lots of toys and a Golf Plus for fishing.
If youve seen my off topic you will understand that my Coupe hasnt had the outings she should have had these past five weeks. The truth is, other than two starts to keep her out of harms way of the builders, she hasnt moved off my drive. Any tips for when the day comes to do serious mileage again?, have I maybe caused damage already?. It wasnt stop/start, I let the engine warm up good and poper and used the air con during the re-positioning.

Portzy.

portzy said:
If youve seen my off topic you will understand that my Coupe hasnt had the outings she should have had these past five weeks. The truth is, other than two starts to keep her out of harms way of the builders, she hasnt moved off my drive. Any tips for when the day comes to do serious mileage again?, have I maybe caused damage already?. It wasnt stop/start, I let the engine warm up good and poper and used the air con during the re-positioning.

Portzy.

I wouldn't see any problems mate. As long as the battery is charged, it hasn't been standing too long without being run.

Check the oil and water levels etc.

Start it and give it a 10 mile run as a starter for ten. This will recharge the battery and give you a chance to rub any rust off the brake discs. It will also highlight any other problems.

Don't worry it will be fine.

portzy said:
Exactly what I, a natural born worrier, needed to be told :D

Ta Brian!.
Portzy.

:D :D The first thing that will happen is the tyres will be cracked and useless. Then the mouldings around the windows will be covered in green fungus, the paintwork will be bleached by the sun and there will be bird muck everywhere attacking your paintwork.

When you unlock the coupe there will be a horrible smell of mould because water has seeped into the car and rotted the carpets. The sun once again will have cracked the dashboard and bleached the seats. When you try to start the engine you will find the cells in the battery would have collapsed and you will need a new battery.

when the new battery is installed you turn the ignition and it takes ages for the engine to start. The noise and smoke will be awful. The oil has settled and some of the oil lines are blocked this will cause serious, mega damage to the engine. The noise is coming from the exhaust that is completely rusted out and fallen off. ;) ;)

I could go on, but I do not want to worry you!! :) :)

On a serious note, (honest guv) My van does not get used for weeks on end, sometimes maybe a month or so, and touch wood the only problem to date has been a flat battery due to a suspect fuse.

Good luck with the car,
John

glojo said:
:D :D The first thing that will happen is the tyres will be cracked and useless. Then the mouldings around the windows will be covered in green fungus, the paintwork will be bleached by the sun and there will be bird muck everywhere attacking your paintwork.

When you unlock the coupe there will be a horrible smell of mould because water has seeped into the car and rotted the carpets. The sun once again will have cracked the dashboard and bleached the seats. When you try to start the engine you will find the cells in the battery would have collapsed and you will need a new battery.

when the new battery is installed you turn the ignition and it takes ages for the engine to start. The noise and smoke will be awful. The oil has settled and some of the oil lines are blocked this will cause serious, mega damage to the engine. The noise is coming from the exhaust that is completely rusted out and fallen off. ;) ;)

I could go on, but I do not want to worry you!! :) :)

On a serious note, (honest guv) My van does not get used for weeks on end, sometimes maybe a month or so, and touch wood the only problem to date has been a flat battery due to a suspect fuse.

Good luck with the car,
John

With friends like you - Who needs enemies. :D :D

glojo said:
I could go on, but I do not want to worry you!! :)
The fuel will have separated and condensation will have rusted holes in the fuel tank, the brake fluid will have evapourated away and the lines will be perished. The coolant will have evapourated as well, same goes for those hoses. Hope the handbrake wasn't left on, or that will have rusted itself permanently in position, the aircon will have leaked (dispite turning over once or twice) seals perished and gas escaped, condenser and compressor will need replacing.

Sorry, did you say 5 weeks or 5 years of inactivity? ;)

Brian WH said:
With friends like you - Who needs enemies. :D :D

Just trying to be helpful! :D :D

I think this week I shall be wearing mostly Brians reply. Even though there is plenty of salt on the roads at the moment another few pinches to take with some replies wont go amiss :rolleyes:

Five weeks btw ;)
You dont scare me, Brian has worked his magic :D

Portzy.

aaaw - go start her up and let her gently warm up - then go for a blast :devil: - repeated on the other thread - just so's you get the message ;)

pammy said:
aaaw - go start her up and let her gently warm up - then go for a blast :devil: - repeated on the other thread - just so's you get the message ;)

:D This is just like a Christmas Pantomine....

Don't do it. Don't start it up!!!!

Oh yes you can!!

Oh no you can't!!! :D :D

Oh yes you can!!! :D :D

;) ;)
Take care,
John

Mobbster - just what I was going to say - and she's new(almost) and only been stood for 5 weeks, in relatively temperate weather - ie not lots of extremes - she will be fine.

And she has been moved during the time - even if only a weeny bit ;)

Had it been a Ford it would have been sat in a field for 5 months before the dealer passed it off as new :crazy:

5 weeks no prolems mate!

saying about fords !! i went to local merc dealers by me to pick up some floor mats for my babe and had a quick nose around the compound for the new cars they have arriving. :eek: most were really stinking dirty :confused: all i can say is the blokes or girls that clean them up must do an amazing JOB !!!! i know audi cover cars like the new tt in a full cover ,dont merc do this with there cars ? :D

I have 2 older Mercs (non cat) & if they sit for more than about a week I disconnect the coil or dizzy & crank the engine for about 20 seconds in the hope I'm pumping oil back to the top of the engine so it's not bone dry when it fires up. Is that the right thing to do?

good idea on older cars, but NOT on a new one like the coupe above. the pooter will throw a spaz..

if you do disconnect the kinglead from the dizzy, make sure it has a path to earth, or you may well fry your cdi unit (unless its really old and has points :rolleyes: )

Just so's you know. It seems five weeks of going nowhere is nothing to a Mercedes. She started without any hesitation, no exbensive noises, no 'malfunctions' and drove as sweet as a nut. :rock:

Portzy.

portzy said:
Just so's you know. It seems five weeks of going nowhere is nothing to a Mercedes. She started without any hesitation, no exbensive noises, no 'malfunctions' and drove as sweet as a nut. :rock:

Portzy.

Did you expect anything else mate??????? :D :D

5 weeks! The 123 and the SL usually sit for a few months between uses.... Never had a problem....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom