Scary

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biglips

Just had my car mot. Garage spotted that brake discs and pads were different sizes with pads too large for discs! Fitted discs were wrong part (280mm fitted but should have been 320mm if memory serves me correctly).

I looked back through the service history. Pads and discs changed about 3 years previously at Merc main dealer with previous owner. Wrong parts appear to have been fitted. Scary!!

New pads and discs now fitted by local indie and braking now much much better. Makes you wonder what else has been bodged.....

Yeah,some of them even tell you that AMG never did an E class coupe

It is the mismatch that worries me. I would be less concerned if they had fitted smaller discs AND pads. To fit mismatched parts is incompetent

Thats why you pay £110 an hour + VAT .....

IMHO braking technology is pretty basic. Hydraulics squash some materials together and the friction slows the car down. Supercars are no different except for the sizes of the wear parts and the materials they're made from.

It's not surprising you could have the wrong parts and not notice, it's still doing a good-enough job. The only time you might notice is in extreme circumstances and even then over-sized pads might improve braking for a short period. Very heavy braking for a long period would probably overheat the pads and discs - more so than usual.
If they enter the VIN of a 124 "AMG" coupe into the EPC they'll likely think it's a 320 or something anyway!

I considered buying an AMG coupé about 4 years ago, and my helpful MD service guy was able to confirm it was the real deal from the vin.

Shude:An E36 will show on the extras with 7..that stands for AMG package

To be fair Dash, the people who didn't know about the W124 AMG coupe were just a couple of empty suits with clipboards at Brooklands. Probably, in the best traditions of the English class system, paid more to stand around in a suit looking vacant than the mechanics, but still, not great.

Fear enough Charles but what I could not stand was the way he was telling me,so proud of his knoledge

Invincible ignorance is the term I use for it Dash. Often wrong, never in doubt!

I doubt MB fitted this, it was probably done by the owner or another garage post that. Despite the many criticisms of MB garages on this board, i doubt they'd fit odd brake parts.

I've got the invoice withe part numbers that were fitted at home. I will post them tonight. Maybe someone here is able to check.

Invincible ignorance is the term I use for it Dash. Often wrong, never in doubt!

Reminds me of an argument I nearly got into with one of the security chaps at BAe Samlesbury when visiting. (Nice place to visit, by the way!)

There was a wooden two-blade propeller in the reception area, of the type used on the earliest Spitfires, so I asked if that is where it had come from. Oh no, the Spitfire never had a two-blade propeller Sir. Definitely not.

I asked about the earliest ones put into service with 19 Sqn (Duxford) but no - you're mistaken Sir - never a two-blade prop on any Spitfire.

Eventually I had to concede. "OK mate, you must be right". There was no point prolonging the agony! :rolleyes:

Sorry for the drift by the way.

IMHO braking technology is pretty basic. Hydraulics squash some materials together and the friction slows the car down. Supercars are no different except for the sizes of the wear parts and the materials they're made from.

It's not surprising you could have the wrong parts and not notice, it's still doing a good-enough job.

Pads too small for discs then I agree with above but pads larger than discs?

I am happy to be corrected as I have zero mechanical knowledge. Just that the Indy spotted it as soon as wheels removed for an unrelated issue.

I am happy to be corrected as I have zero mechanical knowledge. Just that the Indy spotted it as soon as wheels removed for an unrelated issue.
Me too! I'm just guessing. Day to day I expect most people barely dent the braking capability of their cars, although for the odd occasion you DO need 100% of the braking ability it'd be nice if it was using the intended braking components! ;)
If only it were that simple ;)

Last edited:

A quote to myself,lol
Here`s the bodykit 772 amg styling package - front spoiler, side skirts and rear apron (с 02.01.1992)

This should show up on the real deal 957 AMG technology package (с 01.01.1992)

Ok here are the part numbers that were used. Pads were changed once and discs twice within 12 months at the same dealership. Seems a bit strange? Can anyone decipher these codes (wis codes?)

Pads: MA001 420 95 20
Discs: MA124 421 24 12 and MA124 423 10 12

MB failed to notice a missing anti roll bar link on the rear end of my ML - Indie corrected it. Wondered why it was sloppy through the bends, just thought it was getting a bit long in the tooth....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom