SCHOOL - 1950s v 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ioweddie

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
AMG Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
SCHOOL - 1950s v 2016

Scenario :
Johnny and Mark get into a fight after school.

1950s - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up best friends

2016 - Police called, and they arrest Johnny and Mark and charge them with assault.
Both expelled even though Johnny started it.
Both children go to anger management programmes for 3 months.
School governors hold meeting to implement bullying prevention programmes.

--------------------------

Scenario :
Robbie won't be still in class, disrupts other students.

1950s - Robbie sent to the office and given six of the best by the Principal.
Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2016 - Robbie given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADHD – result deemed to be positive.
Robbie's parents get fortnightly disability payments and school gets extra funding from government because Robbie has a disability.

Scenario :
Billy breaks a window in his neighbour's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1950s - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

2016 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care; joins a gang; ends up in jail.

Scenario :
Mark gets a headache and takes some Aspirin to school.

1950s - Mark gets glass of water from Principal to take aspirin with, passes exams and becomes a solicitor.

2016 - Police called, car searched for drugs and weapons.
Mark expelled from school for drug taking. Ends up as a drop out.

Scenario :
Johnny takes apart leftover fireworks from Guy Fawkes night, puts them in a paint tin and blows up a wasp's nest.

1950s - Wasps die.

2016- Police and
Anti-Terrorism Squad called.
Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, investigate parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated.
Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly in an aeroplane again.

Scenario :
Johnny falls over while playing football during morning break and scrapes his knee.
He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. She hugs him to comfort him.

1950s - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing football. No damage done.

2016 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in prison.
Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy and ends up gay.

------------------------

Last edited:
60's, 70's and 80's were about the same as the fifties. It was the 90's that things started to go all 'PC' and stupid.

So many of those scenarios I relate to. ;) Would have quite liked a hug with Mrs AlJawad (Jones) the English teacher.

Teacher tells disruptive child to leave the classroom.

1950s - Child leaves classroom.

2017 - Child tells teacher to f off. Teacher walks away with his tail between his legs.

Fight outside school. Teacher runs out to break it up.

1950s - Everyone runs off.

2017 - Everyone beats up the teacher who ends up in hospital.

Kids playing conkers. One gets a whack on the hand.

1950s - Kid says ouch, rubs it better, puts hand back up for the next shot.

2017 - Kid tells his Mum he got hit by a conker, Mum sues the school for negligence, conkers banned.

Kid takes packed lunch to school. Jam sandwich, crisps, wagon wheel, drink.

1950s - Kid eats lunch.

2017 - Teacher inspects lunchbox, confiscates everything for being unhealthy, issues kid with a letter to give to their parents about healthy eating, kid goes hungry.

1950's - Child physically beaten by an ex army officer moonlighting as an educator taking out his frustrations.

2017 - Limp wristed Hipster who likes kids to be his mate.

What would you prefer?

Sent using a tin can on the end of a string

Last edited:
1950's - Child physically beaten by an ex army officer moonlighting as an educator taking out his frustrations.

2017 - Limp wristed Hipster who likes kids to be his mate.

What would you prefer?

Well I wouldnt want the limp wristed hipster child abuser thats for sure!

1950s: 60 year-old headmaster with an unhealthy interest in young boys and their backsides canes pupils for the slightest transgression and rubs it better afterwards. Children complain about his behaviour and are told to shut up.

2017: 60 year-old head teacher with an unhealthy interest in young boys and their backsides doesn't make it past the DBS check.

Fings ain't wot they used to be.........

1950s: 60 year-old headmaster with an unhealthy interest in young boys and their backsides canes pupils for the slightest transgression and rubs it better afterwards. Children complain about his behaviour and are told to shut up.

2017: 60 year-old head teacher with an unhealthy interest in young boys and their backsides doesn't make it past the DBS check.

Fings ain't wot they used to be.........

I'd still take school as it was in days gone by. The P.C and H&S brigade have denied kids being allowed to grow up with a sense of competitiveness and enjoyment. Nowadays sports day is banned in some districts in case the poor darlings are upset by not winning.:doh: Oh, and conkers are too dangerous FFS:wallbash:

bono

SCHOOL - 1950s v 2016

Glad you stopped at 2016................things have gone really down hill this year.

SWMBO was a teaching assistant - long story to tell one day when the case is settled..........

"My Mrs is a teacher. She isn't allowed to physically comfort an upset child."

[FONT=&quot]My best friend and his missus spent nearly 2 years to foster a child , one of the things that I thought was sad , was that she could never hug them if they fell over and were crying or needed any comfort ,in case it was seen as abuse

just found it really strange, as she is a lovely caring person ,and would help anyone if they were upset, and would have thought these kids have never experianced much of that.

She failed anyway as her 30 year old Daughters teenage son had been arrested a couple of years earlier (a one off when hanging with the wrong crowd) so she was deemed not sutable.

[/FONT]

Kids behaviour isn't too bad these days. It was much worse when I first started working in a school over 10 years ago. Sure they know their rights and you can't touch them so if they want to be disruptive it's a time consuming process to apply any sanctions. The vast majority are decent enough though.

Academy schools have become very focused on health and safety because of the fear of being sued but some of that was needed as they were way behind general industry practices. Do you think with the current bread line level of school funding they can afford to maintain the premises to a high standard. They cannot. When a safety issue is identified the offending part of the premises is often just roped off and taken out of service for a long time.

If you are a parent be assured that teachers do comfort distressed children in an appropriate way and always with another witness present.

I can only speak for our school which is a generally relaxed and happy place to work. An inner city school with a tougher intake may by comparison be different.

"My Mrs is a teacher. She isn't allowed to physically comfort an upset child."

[FONT=&quot]My best friend and his missus spent nearly 2 years to foster a child , one of the things that I thought was sad , was that she could never hug them if they fell over and were crying or needed any comfort ,in case it was seen as abuse

just found it really strange, as she is a lovely caring person ,and would help anyone if they were upset, and would have thought these kids have never experianced much of that.

She failed anyway as her 30 year old Daughters teenage son had been arrested a couple of years earlier (a one off when hanging with the wrong crowd) so she was deemed not sutable.

[/FONT]

We were very set on the idea of fostering. When we were told that we wouldn't be able to hug our own children, let alone the fostered children, we decided it wasn't right for us right now.

That was a really difficult decision for us, but we didn't feel comfortable with that whilst our own children are relatively young. It's something we'll perhaps revisit when our own children are older.

I do wonder how many other couples and families are put off for the same reason. We've since been told that we were advised incorrectly, and the person concerned is no longer in post.

BD, all I can say is if you do try for Fostering in the future , be ready for a couple of years of serious intrusion in your lives.

ANY kind of skeletons' in the closet will be found out, and they check all family members ,relationships, previous relationships marriages etc.

You cannot say anything wrong in the interviews or sessions, it got to the point where my best friend had had enough ,but stuck out the interrogation which to me it felt like they were going through ,because of his Wife.

The ironic thing about it though, is in the group sessions there was a couple from South Africa , and the guy was blatantly racist, thought mixed race were 'mongrels' as he put it to my mate- I dread to think if he got a black kid-but you obviously cannot cherry pick the child.

But he hid it totally and nobody had a clue - so if you are clever/devious enough I guess they still can be fooled into thinking you're the perfect model foster Parents,

There also used to be a couple that had multiple children by us ,purely for the financial aspect ,for years and indeed emigrated a couple of years ago from the profits.

But that one thing from years ago was enough to have my friends chances rejected, which was a tragedy as they are great with kids.

Mrs M, works at a fairly local school which is now about 80%+ Eastern European children. Their English is limited or nonexistent. Their behaviour in some instances is almost beyond belief. Violence is a constant, especially between different nationalities and religions. I honestly now fear for her. Oh, the ages? 6 - 10.

bknx_fa

The times they are a`changing. In the 50`s and 60`s you soon learned to add and subtract without the aid of a calculator ( what computer?).School dinner money was enough to ensure you had at least one hot meal a day , or buy 5 Park Drive and a bag of chips , or 10 Players number 6.Both you and the shopkeeper knew exactly what change was due.
If you got caught misbehaving the local copper would clip you round the ear. If the copper told your parents , you would get another one .The next door neighbours didn`t have first names , just Mr & Mrs . All the kids played out in the street , shared whatever sweets/crisps or lemonade they had. It was bedtime when it got dark!
Nothing bad that ever happened was discussed "in front of the children" and our parents , having experienced World War 2 probably over indulged us.
The massive changes in global and social media all have an impact on todays kids that we were not subjected to , so I think it is very different for young people now , and perhaps easy for us "old uns" to look back through rose tinted specs . I do not enjoy getting older (65 in a few weeks) , but neither would I wish to be a kid today.

BOBBYDAZZLER.
Have you thought of adoption rather than fostering ?
True there are some searching questions asked of all members of the family of prospective parents ( we had no issues with that ) , and I can only say that a member of our family adopted two young siblings that are as precious as our own flesh and blood.
Adoption can be a slow and daunting process ( support is not anywhere near as good as it should be in many cases ) , and you can expect many issues and traumas along the way. Unlike fostering there is little or no financial support and I actually feel the allowances paid for fostering can attract people for the wrong reasons. That said , it is lovely to see the little ones , once adopted integrate into the family knowing they are a permanent part of your future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom