Schools- how do you find the good ones?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamC230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A3 & S4 quattro
OK, bear with me, no kids, no idea!

How do you find out what schools are better than others and do I need to worry about catchment areas etc?

If so how do I find out?

Good school/bad school pretty subjective I guess and quite possible to change over the period I am talking, but in general I guess you go by exams sucess rates?

Basically I have moved around a bit over the last few years and now looking to move again, saying goodbye to all my lovelly monthly disposable income on a bigger house. The plan being, if nothing else (job etc) forces us to move, this will be the one we want to stay in for some time. Well longer than my 2 year average I seem to have going on anyway.

Anyway, much further down the line their COULD be children, maybe and if my plan works and I manage to stay in said bigger house, I am thinking it might be plan to make sure we don't buy one that means the children have to go to the worst school in the county. Buying a house big enough for some rug rats and then having to move again to get them in the catchment area for the right primary shcool etc is not something I want to face IF I can avoid it.

The county is likely to be Bucks, possibly Beds, so where do I get my info?

TIA
Graham

Academic acheivements is only one aspect of what makes a school good. Yes there are clearly schools to avoid, but they can and do change in fairly short periods of time.

I remember a very good school in sheffield. People would move into catchment area to try and ensure their kids got places. Within a very short period of time this school turned into one of the worst schools in Sheffield.

It depends on what's important to you, if pure academia then it will be league table level, if a more rounded assessment looking at value add and the pastoral care and community spirit in a school, then you need to look much more closely and visit the schools to get a feel. Local newspaper reports are a useful guide too.

What's a good school for one child might not be true for a sibling. Megan and Josh were very different children and for secondary school we were quite prepared that a different school might offer Josh better support and a more supportive environment. It did however turn out that Megan's school, with our help, has been able to provide good support and a reasonable learning environment for him.

You also need to think, infant/junior or higher because the two don't necessarily go together.

There are no guarantees especially when you are looking now with children not even on the horizon.

Last edited:
As Pam said the schools league tables are a bit of a con. Different examining bodies can make a difference between a high performing school and a low performing one. http://www.dfes.gov.uk/performancetables/

I suspect you are also thinking along the lines of moving into a good area for property values.
One source of information is the Halifax housing market report http://www.hbosplc.com/economy/housingresearch.asp, published monthly, and other is http://www.mypropertyspy.co.uk/search.aspx.

Good luck with finding the right place.

Cheers guys. I suspect I am looking far too far ahead to do make any useful decisions based on schools.

I was hoping you were going to enlighten me with a website that independently graded schools taking all sorts into consideration - but I knew it would be likely to not be that easy.

The advice is great, but as you say I need to be a whole lot closer to the time to make use of it.

I know how tricky it is too having gone to a secondary school that had a bad reputation linger long after it made a complete about turn and later became one of the favoured shcools of the area.

Thanks for those other two sites Will.

We are very lucky in the fact that the best school in our area is 50 yds from our house. The house prices are well above average just because of this:crazy: but in another five years the school may well be an under achiever, although I doubt it as it has always been excellent and the current headmaster is superb.
It is impossible to tell which schools will be good in five years or so but luckily we have a superb infants/junior a stone throw away and a superb secondary 15mins walk away. The secondary 15 years ago was an absolute no go area so it just goes to show how things change.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say something controversial.

Religion is a big no, no on this forum but I am not speaking about any specific religion. In my experience faith based schools are well worth considering as they tend to encourage children to develop in a more 'round' (tactful word) manner, the snag to this is that these schools might insist in the parents being active members of their church\mosque\synagogue\typee\hut\hall etc. What is a good school this year might not be in a few years time but faith schools tend to steer a steady course.

John

Though I was brought up in International schools all my life - I have found that religious-run schools have always had a high standing in any country I've been in.

Another thing you can look at it Colleges, ask them what schools they recruit most from - they are VERY forthcoming! Probably WAY too early, but schools that offer the IB in addition to the A-levels have an extra gear...

Michele

This moving house lark is too hard as it is - taking up religion is too far!! LOL.

I hear what you are saying John.

Previous moves I have moved under pressure/limited time/impulse (all worked out great) but this time I have no pressure, as much time as I want and there is far too much to think about!!

the goods ones are full ...easy.... church schools may ask you to present yourself at church in a roundabout way on a long term basis..... to stand a chance of entry.... word of mouth is very good and when you do find a school become a governor its helps you and the school.

I'm not suggesting becoming religious if you are not. (I'm not). It was just a comment on the status that nun/monk-run schools have a good reputation.

I know I know, take my comments with a pinch of salt!

thanks all

SChools are like parents. Some are useless, some have a high reputation and others are just busy getting the job done.

I think Dieselman and Pammy have said it all with good advice from Glojo.
There is an obsession in the media and with some parents about academic performance. It's a bit like looking at a performance test of a Mitsubishi Evo and saying that it is a good family car.
First question is to take an honest look at your own kids. Mot of us parents have a very rosy view of our kids and so asking a third party such as the teachers in infant or primary is an excellent guide.
Talents and needs in kids vary across a wide spectrum. While a school can get good statistics be aware that these can be fixed and that if that is all that the school is interested in your kids will get a very one sided education.
As Pammy said, school performance can change quickly and this can be related to changes in key people such as the head teacher so check this out too.
What I consider to be a good school will meet the needs of the local community. In most circumstances it will be able to challenge those who are academically gifted, allow those that are creative to express themselves, for those that need support it will give them what they need to achieve their potential. Most importantly of all it would allow all members of the school to have equal respect for each other.
I speak as the parent of five kids who have all performed in different ways and at different levels and who's wife is a teacher.

Last edited:
There is an obsession in the media and with some parents about academic performance. It's a bit like looking at a performance test of a Mitsubishi Evo and saying that it is a good family car.

It's not? :eek:

Again I get yuour point, thanks.

All of the above comments are true. For a quick idea sit outside the school at home time. Both my kids school have staff at the gate ensuring uniform is kept on and worn correctly and that behaviour whilst queing at the bus stops or while crossing the roads is good. Outside certain other schools, one feels intimidated by the mob and the de uniformed, baseball caped legions desending on you. You get my point.

Dont forget that an academically good child will do well even in a 'poor' school. The obsession with tabulating results contorts what is a 'good' school and what is not.

The rounded school will cater for all children - academically gifted, artistic and practical. And allow them all to grow and flourish.

What really matters is that there is an (enforced) expecatition of behaviour - and this also involves parents. Links and integrates young people into society.

As parents if you get involved with the school you will also be able to help and guide your children.

Besides, you can not take a decision as to which school is right for your children until you know the personality and likes of your children.!!

Good luck - welcome to the worrying worlld of the parent.

cj (father - and honary father - to 4)

Dont forget that an academically good child will do well even in a 'poor' school. The obsession with tabulating results contorts what is a 'good' school and what is not.
I totally agree BUT..... choosing the right school is only a small fraction of the issue. The good parent will take an active interest in raising our offspring. Reading to them at an early age, helping them to learn to write, how to spell, how to read. The soft and very easy option is to buy the small child a computer\play station and when they come home from school, plonk them in front of the TV or games machine. You are doing the right things by checking out the schools but be prepared for a huge change in life style. :) If we put the effort into helping develop the child then they should do well at most schools.

Forget the religious schools as they usually expect at least one parent to be a regular 'spectator' :) Guess who that is in our household? :devil:

John

Exactly right and what I was trying to say.

Get involved, make children part of your life and share with them.

Everyone benefits.

I work in education and have seen action both in primary schools and in secondary schools.
Much of what I was going to say has already been said, there are some excellent and relevant comments being made. You will be able to have access to any schools prospectus and in this should make some reference to the school's last OFSTED report. Most schools now include an 'Ethos' of the school which you can cross examine with the OFSTED report (I think you have full access to this). As OFSTED is an independent, professional report, you can partly deem whether the school is suitable.
Speaking with local parents and their children is useful, especially if there has been an issue (educational, social, behavioural etc) with their children which has been dealt with especially well/sensitively by the school.
Also, check provision for Special Educational Needs (SEN), 'Gifted and Talented' pupils and pupils with English as an Additional Language (EAL).
This is my area of work and I find that although a school can be academically excellent, it might not cope as well as it could with the bottom 25% (or conversely, the top 25%).
Investigate ties with secondary schools and look at catchment areas, is your child likely to go into a secondary where the rest of their year 6 class is also going?
Hope this helps, any educational questions, please PM me. :)

Dont forget that an academically good child will do well even in a 'poor' school.

I actually disagree with this statement that a child "will" do well. A child "will" do well if the school recognises their abilities and gives them the opportunity to perform to and stretch their abilities. If their abilities etc go unrecognised then the child is just likely not to suceed as much as they could.

One aspect that has not been mentioned up to now but has a massive impact on how a school is, in both academic and community terms, is that of the Governors - over whom you have no control other than the democratic one which as a parent with a child at the school gives you voting rights on who you want as a governor. I have seen very inneffective boards of governors and effective ones. The Skills of the Chair of Governors is paramount to how well the governors perform as a body.

Basically Graham - as you've gathered - it's a lottery. You can only do so much - but do what you can for your child is what you must do as a parent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom