Sclass squeaky brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickyj1985

Car
Mercedes S350L AMG & Mercedes Vito 119 LWB
Hi just after some advice my in regards to the brakes on my s350 (w222) they squeak when slowing down its not really loud but it is noticeable the car is a 63plate and had 6,000miles approx when i brought it its now done only 11,000.

I've had it just over a year its been back to Merc 3 times and they've tried to clean the brakes but it hasn't worked. The last visit about 2 months ago and I've been told that the only way to fix the problem is new discs and pads all around (£1,000approx) the car is under warranty until October but apparently the issue with the brakes isn't covered.

I'm pretty sure Merc should fix this under warranty as i haven't done anything to make the brakes squeak and the car has only done 11,000miles and merc telling me the car need new brake discs and pads sounds a but pathetic Let me know your thoughts it would be appreciated thanks guys

The tried and tested way is copper grease on the back of the pads, but dealerships seem reluctant to do this. I'm not sure why, maybe the connotations of putting grease anywhere near the braking system, but any regular garage would apply copper slip to back of the pads.

i-CONICA said:
The tried and tested way is copper grease on the back of the pads, but dealerships seem reluctant to do this. I'm not sure why, maybe the connotations of putting grease anywhere near the braking system, but any regular garage would apply copper slip to back of the pads.
thanks for the reply This should most likely cure the problem? If only i knew it was that simple lol!! Would've saved me a few trips to merc!
Is there any negatives to do this?

Got this problem myself - from the back end. I know the systems are very different but we are now down to "you must have dry pads sir". Everything else has been changed.
One of the pleasures of having a damn fine system when it does work I guess but bl00dy annoying from a top end brand in that their brakes are so good that they need attention every 5000 kms or so!?
Chamfering the leading edge of the pads is said to assist, it did slightly with me, but the noise is still there a little and with mine the longer it goes on the more likely you are to be wearing/fretting the caliper which increases the likelihood of it being permanent until the caliper is changed. Grrrr.

Last edited:
WDB124066 said:
Got this problem myself - from the back end. I know the systems are very different but we are now down to "you must have dry pads sir". Everything else has been changed. One of the pleasures of having a damn fine system when it does work I guess but bl00dy annoying from a top end brand in that their brakes are so good that they need attention every 5000 kms or so!? Chamfering the leading edge of the pads is said to assist, it did slightly with me, but the noise is still there a little and with mine the longer it goes on the more likely you are to be wearing/fretting the caliper which increases the likelihood of it being permanent until the caliper is changed. Grrrr.
they did chamfer mine to it actually made it worse! Personally i don't think this is acceptable brake discs should last a lot longer then 11k miles before they they need changing! Also i was told the reason it is happening is because "you don't drive the car enough" don't know if this is true but the car gets used at least 5 times a week!

Yes, seems there is some folk-law out there that gets repeated to Customers irrespective of the true cause/s.

I'll let you know how things are after the new pads are fitted, in the meantime it isn't because of glazing that I know.

thanks for the reply This should most likely cure the problem? If only i knew it was that simple lol!! Would've saved me a few trips to merc!
Is there any negatives to do this?

No it's been standard practice forever. It's not a dodgy fix, it's part the procedure for changing pads.

Google "Using copper grease" and the suggestions are "for stopping brake pad squeal".

Here's some at Halfords that quotes brake pad use right on the box: Halfords Copper Grease 20g

Just Google it...

I don't think you need a whole new set of break. I think your old disk will do just fine. The only thing you need to change is the pad.

If you are going to do this yourself don't just apply copper grease the the back of the pad also add it to any edge/surface that makes contact with the brake calliper

Bellow said:
Did the pitch of the squeal change?
i wouldn't say the pitch changed just that the squeal has become more constant if i press the brakes hard then there is no squeal

Also i was told the reason it is happening is because "you don't drive the car enough" don't know if this is true but the car gets used at least 5 times a week!

I wonder if they are trying to say the pads are glazed - the cure for which is either, give the brakes a proper hammering - repeated big stops from big speeds. Or, remove the pads and roughen up the friction surface.
The latter, with a proper clean up of the caliper slides and Coppaslip ladled onto the back of the pads will effect a cure - I'm near certain.
Trouble is, doing at as I do it (the above) takes at least twice as long as any garage will spend on it.
An afternoon at the weekend will suffice even if you've never stripped brakes before. Mug up on the 'how to' videos on YouTube, have the correct tools at hand - and get stuck in!

Bellow said:
I wonder if they are trying to say the pads are glazed - the cure for which is either, give the brakes a proper hammering - repeated big stops from big speeds. Or, remove the pads and roughen up the friction surface. The latter, with a proper clean up of the caliper slides and Coppaslip ladled onto the back of the pads will effect a cure - I'm near certain. Trouble is, doing at as I do it (the above) takes at least twice as long as any garage will spend on it. An afternoon at the weekend will suffice even if you've never stripped brakes before. Mug up on the 'how to' videos on YouTube, have the correct tools at hand - and get stuck in!
i have got a friend who has a car garage maybe i can ask him to give it a go now that i know its not worth going back to Mercedes! Thanks for the info yes I'm pretty sure they used the word glazed!

I had squeeky brakes once - turned out to be non-MB pads (or whoever makes the pads MB fit anyway).

I knew of a young guy at my last company who had a company Insignia.

He was forever asking for his expenses as he was terminally short of cash.

To avoid paying out for replacing brake discs and pads, which were shot and squeeking/grinding to buggrry, he applied grease to the friction side of the brakes.

Jesus wept.

2035483.jpg

If someone else had of done that to his brakes, they've had been arrested for attempted murder lol

I guess the things to check would include; [Feel free to add to this]

Discs,
Pads,
Lazy/leaking pistons,
Correct lube applied where MB says,
All shims, clips and hardware fitted correctly.

Last edited:
i have got a friend who has a car garage maybe i can ask him to give it a go now that i know its not worth going back to Mercedes! Thanks for the info yes I'm pretty sure they used the word glazed!

My father once asked me why his brakes worked better after I had borrowed his car....

Some big stops from as fast as you dare (in a safe place obviously) will likely as not clear the glaze.

If not, hook up with your mate. There is no way that it should need new everything.

That's when mine started to squeak! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom