Scooter advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gucci

MB Enthusiast
Car
Jaguar XF 3.0 Ultimate Black
Now, this isn't something I considered before, but I have a new job (yay) but it's in Walthamstowe E17. I Live in SE9 and driving is about 50 mins. Train = 1hr 20 mins.

Scooter? What think? Suicide? Much quicker? Travelcard is £1,300 for the year. So what about the economics?
:dk:

Scooter is easily the fastest & cheapest way to get around the city.
Only downsides are helmet hair, and not being able to read on the commute.

Do get proper waterproof kit as 50mins of rain will get through cheaper stuff
& ruin the fun.

I'd also consider getting a full bike licence as the training will help keep you safe. The CBT alone is not enough IMHO

I sold my lovely scruffy 1980 vespa p125x for £600 last year, road tax was £15, insurance was £120 & it cost about £100 year in repairs/ servicing.

£5 of petrol mix lasted a week.

Ade

Last edited:
I use a CG125 as my commute when I don't take the train... not a scooter, I know... but incredibly cheap (somewhere between 90 and 100 mpg) and gets me down the M40/A40 at the speed limit...

M.

Riding a bike in flat towns and Cities is lots of fun, you can easily beat cars..

Also consider:

What you wear to work. Not recommended if you wear a suit, a change of clothes is essential.

Also luggage space, do you need to carry a lot of stuff for work? Most scooters have underseat storage for a helmet, and you can fit a top box to most of them as well.

And most importantly, is there a safe and secure space to park it at work (and at home), scooters are easily stolen, and should to chained or anchored to an immovable object such as a lamppost or railings to prevent it being lifted - just had an e-mail from someone in my bike group that they are now putting a D-lock through the wheels and glueing the lock so you're unable to move your bike, then they come along at night to break the lock and off they go.

I really miss my scooter. I was driven straight into by a woman pulling out of a side street who hit me side on, went flying over her bonnet and ended on the 20ft further down the other side of the road. I was lucky not to break anything but bike was a write off.

I keep toying with the idea of a scooter. I passed my bike test 33 years ago and haven't used a bike much since. I do miss the freedom but at the same time wonder about safety when you see the capabilities of some motorists today!

I know you would still have to sit in the traffic with everyone else but what about a Smart car??, 55mpg and if you get the right one free parking in london and no congestion charge........... I await a verbal kicking lol

You could scooter for weeks with no problem......

Right up until the day when it's pouring down, windy and freezing and thats when you realise why you paid all that extra money for a big and thirsty Mercedes Benz,

Also consider:

What you wear to work. Not recommended if you wear a suit, a change of clothes is essential.

Also luggage space, do you need to carry a lot of stuff for work? Most scooters have underseat storage for a helmet, and you can fit a top box to most of them as well.

And most importantly, is there a safe and secure space to park it at work (and at home), scooters are easily stolen, and should to chained or anchored to an immovable object such as a lamppost or railings to prevent it being lifted - just had an e-mail from someone in my bike group that they are now putting a D-lock through the wheels and glueing the lock so you're unable to move your bike, then they come along at night to break the lock and off they go.

My old vespa was parked outside Victoria station for days... The closest it got to being stolen was whilst visiting a friend in Hoxton. Some kids tried to wheel it down the street with a chain through the front suspension and the steering lock on. They gave up 100 yards from where I parked it - in broad daylight.

When I lived in Islington, there was a tennis court near the Packington estate that was a plastic scooter graveyard - the locals would nick the latest twist & go special, run the tank empty and then set fire to it!

No spotty teenager would be seen dead on a scruffy old PX :D

I now cycle to work, but its only 1.8 miles and I push the bike up the last bit of hill :)

Only reason we got rid of the vespa was Mrs B no longer used it (following arrival of Junior B) and I use the BMW for going to meetings in town.

Ade

Indeed, at least get a Bikesafe/Scootersafe day done. It's only £30 for a day out with a couple of rides with police and a few presentations, with lunch included.

Scooters have small wheels and are inherently less stable than larger wheeled bikes. Why not consider a Honda 50 / 90 or similar. But if it was me. Train it every time in London traffic is horrendous and driving standards are selfish. So good luck if you do bike it. Make sure you're well protected.

My wife did just this about 6 years ago. She got fed up with the Northern Line from Colindale into central London.

She cashed in her annual train card and bought a little Suzuki 110cc 2 stroke. Fast as buggery and 30 mins to work.

When we moved to Ruislip she carried on including a daily trip right along the A.40 around Hanger Lane into Pimlico.

She had never ridden a scooter before, didn't have a car licence and just did the CBT. No crashes or anything and she still rides a little scooter out here in Skiathos, obviously with the Greek way of doing things (no helmet, shopping in the plastic crate on the back and 4 year old Sophia standing on the front).

Go for it, it's the best way.

You could try getting something like this (this one's in Tottenham):

YAMAHA TOWNMATE T80 80cc

Will cost pennies to run, and should you decide motorcycling isn't for you, you won't have shelled out a packet..

Cheers,

Gaz

You could try getting something like this (this one's in Tottenham):

YAMAHA TOWNMATE T80 80cc

Will cost pennies to run, and should you decide motorcycling isn't for you, you won't have shelled out a packet..

Cheers,

Gaz

I can see your angle but that one is really, really uncool.

Imagine leaving the house in the morning and having to decide between that scooter and the ML?

I can see your angle but that one is really, really uncool.

Imagine leaving the house in the morning and having to decide between that scooter and the ML?

Indeed! It would have to be a trendy Vespa/Lambretta thing. Think Sting, not Frank Spencer :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom