Scooter Dead

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidjpowell

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 w212 and Ford Ranger
Trying to diagnose a scooter fault complicated by 200 miles. I want to sell the thing so need to try and work out whether I have big or little problems.

Scooter is 2 years old, never been registered and unused to any significant extent. While it was up here the battery was draining through the alarm.

Step-Son and neanderthal dad decided to jump start it from his van (he then flooded it on top, and failed to start it). My rudimentary knowledge believes that the bike is running on a 6v system.

Is this likely to have done harm beyond the battery?

Cheers

David

A while back I parked my bike on a raining day and quickly put the cover on it. Two days later when I went to take it home I realised I had left the keys in and switched on. The battery was completely dead.
I bumped it to get it going, but it ran really really badly for the 30 miles back home. The alternator just couldn't get the voltage up. A slow charge and it was back to normal.
Charge it up, pull the fuse on the alarm and see if it is still draining. It could be a duff battery (esp if it isn't getting used) instead of a faulty alarm.

Bike batteries don't last long unless they are kept charged- most modern scooters have a 12v system, and jump starting from a car won't harm them. If the battery has 3 cells its 6v, 6 cells is 12v- easiest way to tell.

The battery is probably toast. Maybe some of the electrics 12volts into a 6 volt system= bad--- If you are lucky there may be some major fuse/link to protect the system from reversed polarity over voltage. The voltage should be marked on the battery. Shop around for a new battery would be my first move.

First step is to get my hands on the bike. Step-son was supposed to be sorting out a license and CBT, but can't be ****d. I'm selling it before he can otherwise the money will be blown on something unsuitable.

Cheers for the help. I've got to get the bike delivered to the in laws in Bristol so will have limited time to get to grips with it...

Went past Doncaster on Saturday - don't remember it being close to Bristol:devil:

Going past Doncaster was a return trip from relatives in Scotland. They have an "N" (1994/5?) registered Honda scooter in their garage, bought new, under a sheet, has 700 miles on the clock!
He said I suppose we should think of selling it as we don't use it anymore!

Went past Doncaster on Saturday - don't remember it being close to Bristol:devil:

Going past Doncaster was a return trip from relatives in Scotland. They have an "N" (1994/5?) registered Honda scooter in their garage, bought new, under a sheet, has 700 miles on the clock!
He said I suppose we should think of selling it as we don't use it anymore!

It's not. The bike is currently with the lad at his dads near Bristol. Part of the problem.

They are not getting around to getting it to run, getting the lad legal, or the bike legal.

I'm out by £500. I don't mind so much if he was going to use it. But I'll be damned if they are going to sell it and pocket the cash as I currently forsee.

His exam results and effort into life do not justify that at this stage. I'd prefer to get it running and sell the damn thing. A lot cheaper to get it to the in-laws then back here, and I can't trust the lad if I try and sell it from a distance on Ebay.

Sounds like there's more trouble here than just the scooter! Just as a matter of interest, who are the legal owner and registered keeper? If both are you then I can't see how he could sell it anyway? Or am I missing something?

Edit: re-read the initial post - the bike is unregistered. But still a thought, if you are the legal owner could you not register it?

Last edited:
To register it I need the import paperwork back.. I'd hoped to get the lad to grow up by giving him some responsibility. Daft in hindsight

It's a Chinese make, Jonson I think...

Is it a Jonway? I believe they're all 12v and i'd be inclined to change the battery anyway if it's been standing for that long - as Tiff says they don't tend to last long unless they are kept charged (hopefully it will only be that which needs replacing and they cost about £30).

Have a look on eBay to see how much they're going for as this will give you an idea of re-sale value.

Unfortunately, without you having a look at it first hand, it will be difficult to see whether any additional damage has been done (rectifier damage etc).

Thread back from the dead..... Scooter has finally made it to the in-laws. New battery has seen it run. His tit of a dad did not tie it down so clocks and two mirrors cracked. Replacements ordered.

And yes it is a Jonway.... Going on ebay next week...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom