Scotland Short 3-4 day trip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Loch Lomond via Alston from the Lakes, you’ve got me baffled
dont be baffled. it is for the fantastic driving roads like the A686 and incredible scenery . given the time of day , we would have never managed to go via the A77 in daylight which would have rendered that plan pointless. The Penrith to Haydons bridge Pennines route is one of the best roads I've driven on..
Screenshot_20200101-195035_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20200101-195140_Maps.jpg

dont be baffled. it is for the fantastic driving roads like the A686 and incredible scenery . given the time of day , we would have never managed to go via the A77 in daylight which would have rendered that plan pointless. The Penrith to Haydons bridge Pennines route is one of the best roads I've driven on..
View attachment 91185

View attachment 91184

Driven it a few times myself on jaunts over to the lakes, actually very little time difference between using that and the A69

Thanks for the update and hope you enjoy your Scottish visit. The weather has been extremely mild this Christmas and New Year.
I agree with you on Hard Knott Pass, the top of which is one of my favourite places in the UK, not bad coming from a Scot.
Stay safe and Haste ye Back
Thanks mate. I must say, the A85 to Glen Coe is very special . some real great corners, smooth roads for the most part and jaw dropping scenery . We may have time to head up to Skye tomorrow. Also I have to say we have had some great food along the way . we will definitely return at the first opportunity.
even the view from our hotel room is rather excellent :
Screenshot_20200101-203055_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200101-200634_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200101-203055_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200101-203055_Gallery.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 3
you're blessed with some incredible roads up north. down south is bereft of any driving roads at all.

The one thing I miss from my time growing up in Scotland.

Are you staying at Drimsynie for the remainder of your holiday or have you got somewhere else booked further north?

I'm a bit confused - have you done Glencoe? It's the A82 BTW.

A good circular tour from Drimsynie would be up Loch Lomond to Crianlarich then Tyndrum > Bridge of Orchy > Glen Coe > Ballachulish > down the Appin coast via Holly Tree Hotel, Kintallen (lunch) to Connel > Kilchurn Castle then south via A819 to Inverary (jail) returning to Lochgoilhead via the west road B839.

All in c150 miles - 4 hours. A good run showing some of the best west coast scenery and doable at this time of year.

Are you staying at Drimsynie for the remainder of your holiday or have you got somewhere else booked further north?

I'm a bit confused - have you done Glencoe? It's the A82 BTW.

A good circular tour from Drimsynie would be up Loch Lomond to Crianlarich then Tyndrum > Bridge of Orchy > Glen Coe > Ballachulish > down the Appin coast via Holly Tree Hotel, Kintallen (lunch) to Connel > Kilchurn Castle then south via A819 to Inverary (jail) returning to Lochgoilhead via the west road B839.

All in c150 miles - 4 hours. A good run showing some of the best west coast scenery and doable at this time of year.
My apologies, we went up the A82 to Glencoe. That was an unfortunate typo !

yes we are staying in the Drymsynie . I switched hotels so my little one can swim in the pool there.

we are visiting the sea life centre this morning therefore will be short of time to go up to skye , so it looks like the route you've mentioned would be ideal. thanks very much for that !

You might be a bit disappointed with the Sea Life Centre, these type of attractions are not what they used to be but if you’ve got young ones it may be a different story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom