Scotland trip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Markjames

Car
mercedes e220 coupe
Have a trip planned a week tomorrow with a day in York, two days in Edinburgh, a day in Stirling and finally three days in arrochar on loch long. We have planned most things using trip advisor and Google but does anyone have any suggestions of things not to miss. It's our fist trip further north than Yorkshire even though we have both travelled around the world.

Falkirk Wheel

Welcome to the The Falkirk Wheel - the Worlds Only Rotating Boatlift

The Kelpies

The Kelpies | The Kelpies Tour

Not much to do in Arrochar for three days but you could fit in a trip to Invarary on Loch Fyne

Explore Inveraray Inverary Argyll

Loch Lomond

Home | - Loch Lomond & The Trossachs National Park

Some stunning roads on the west coast , just watch for the Rozzers as there are a few around as a mate of mine just got collared on his new Yamaha R1M

If you can bring some decent weather with you then it would be nice.

Kenny

Last edited:
When you do get to Edinburgh then a trip to the castle is a must and if it your thing then have a look at Mary Kings Close which is interesting but you may need to book in advance as it is very popular.

Pop into the Dome for a pint or a meal if you are feeling flush.

Kenny

When you do get to Edinburgh then a trip to the castle is a must and if it your thing then have a look at Mary Kings Close which is interesting but you may need to book in advance as it is very popular

Kenny

Agreed about MKs Close. If you're at the castle try to get near the front row for the One O'Clock Gun firing.

The pubs in the Grassmarket are good for lunch. eg...The Last Drop.

Drive to South Queensferry for the best views of the Forth bridges.

Markjames said:
Have a trip planned a week tomorrow with a day in York, two days in Edinburgh, a day in Stirling and finally three days in arrochar on loch long. We have planned most things using trip advisor and Google but does anyone have any suggestions of things not to miss. It's our fist trip further north than Yorkshire even though we have both travelled around the world.

We go to Scotland almost every year and last month did a two week tour. Stirling, Fort William, Aviemore, then down to see family in Fife.

In Stirling we discovered 'Toast' a great place for a nice full Scottish breakfast and other good food. They also have a'Filling Station' in the town. The Castle is nice and Wallaces Monument. We went to the Stirling Highland Games while we were there.

The Wheel and Kelpies are only a short drive away in Falkirk.

If you've got your walking feet on, Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh. Scott's Monument and the Royal Mile. Parking is extortionate!, but we normally park at Omni Centre. The spaces are a reasonable size compared to other car parks.

South Queensferry there's a nice restaurant called The Rail Bridge which is a stones throw away from the bridge itself

I haven't been to York for years, but the wall is nice and the Jorvik Centre might still be worth a see.

If you are driving up the A1 watch out for the numerous static speed cameras when you get to Scotland and if you are returning via the A74(M), watch out for the speed camera van that regularly sits on the bridge near Dumfries. The junction on the M9 with Glasgow Road and A89 is also riddled in speed cameras; the main line and slip roads are 50mph

I saw more speed cameras/vans in Scotland than I did on my entire journey through England! It's like a plague!

York is a great city. Even if you are not a train buff, the National Railway Museum is mind boggling. I think the Jorvik Centre may still be closed following the recent floods but the Castle Museum is worth a visit.
Travelling north, if you have time to spend a few hours in Durham City, especially the cathedral and peninsula area, I think you might be pleasantly surprised. Park and ride is a good option here.
The north Northumberland coast around Bamburgh and Holy Island is worth a detour.
But save plenty of time for Scotland and its stunning scenery!

The George Hotel in Inverary does good pub grub , or if your tastes are more sophisticated then the Loch Fyne Oyster Bar , at the top of the loch , is very popular . I seem to recall there's a decent chippie in Arrochar too :)

Two places I am still yet to visit is Mapa Scotland and Hadrians Wall

A must drive experiance

I would suggest you go to Glencoe. The sight you will see will take your breath away.
Enjoy.

Gilbey said:
I would suggest you go to Glencoe. The sight you will see will take your breath away. Enjoy.
I would vouch for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom