Scotland's North Coast 500.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Any decent person on a bike, will pull in to the nearest passing place to allow motorists to get by in any direction. Particularly thinking about locals who will be using the road for business or driving chores.

It is not a race course.

Reactions: 219
Sadly, the 'me first' mentality has tended to cause some problems on these roads in recent years. I was speaking to one of the locals in Applecross, having driven over the 'Pass of the cattle' last year. Apparently a local driver ended up confronting the driver of a motorhome after following him all the way over the pass at about 20mph. The motorhome driver repeatedly refused to pull into any passing place to allow the queue of traffic behind to get past.

I really enjoy the roads in the West Highlands, but they are becoming less attractive as a result of the actions of incompetent / couldn't care less types.

Reminds me of a journey , around 11 years ago , since jan was pregnant with Harris at the time , when we took a trip out to Ardnamurchan lighthouse - single track with passing places , lots of blind bends and summits - I was happy to make progress where I could see far enough ahead , but always slowed down/sounded the horn where visibility was restricted - just as well since there were a number of times when oncoming vehicles appeared at rates of knots and barely managed to stop .

It never fails to amaze me that there are people who , on hearing a horn warning on the approach to a blind bend don't think to reply , presumably imagining I already KNOW that they are there . Stupid stupid stupid people . but then how many people actually know the proper use of the horn ( or headlamps after dark ) ?

Any decent person on a bike, will pull in to the nearest passing place to allow motorists to get by in any direction. Particularly thinking about locals who will be using the road for business or driving chores.

It is not a race course.

Sadly - I've never seen a cyclist in lycra pull over to let the stream of cars behind get past. The other cyclists (non lycra / non-club) seem to have a better attitude. There is something in the highway code that states that cyclists are not to hold up traffic.

Section 66.

You need to live where I live to get utterly frustrated by cyclists.....tour de Yorkshire has slowed my life considerably!

And I'm a push biker!

Section 66.

You need to live where I live to get utterly frustrated by cyclists.....tour de Yorkshire has slowed my life considerably!

And I'm a push biker!
I cycle as well (in the summer, when I struggle to keep up with my 11YO son ) but really only on cycle tracks which have been tarmaced over disused railway lines .

Section 66.

And I'm a push biker!

Yep I'm near York and the TdY is an annual inconvenience!

Reactions: 219

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom