Scottish Bank Notes!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John N

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Peterborough. - (Scot on Permanent Tour!)
Car
GLB 220D 4Matic P+
In the dim and distant past there was always problems with paying for good in England with Scottish Banks Notes, even though they were Legal Tender!:mad:

With trips to and from Ayr, and now having moved my mother in to live with us in Peterborough, I have been noticing the problem has returned even though the Bank Notes are the New Plastic variety, that according to all are extremely difficult to Counterfeit!:(

Large and Small stores are all the same, you choose your purchases, get to the often very busy Till and encounter the " What's this, er is it foreign, we can't accept this, it's management policy not to accept foreign currency" etc, even though it is clearly printed on the Notes "POUNDS STIRLING" and it's "Getting on my TITS!:mad::wallbash::eek::oops::rolleyes:

Rant over, pass the bottle of Red!🥺😢😭

In the dim and distant past there was always problems with paying for good in England with Scottish Banks Notes, even though they were Legal Tender!:mad:

With trips to and from Ayr, and now having moved my mother in to live with us in Peterborough, I have been noticing the problem has returned even though the Bank Notes are the New Plastic variety, that according to all are extremely difficult to Counterfeit!:(

Large and Small stores are all the same, you choose your purchases, get to the often very busy Till and encounter the " What's this, er is it foreign, we can't accept this, it's management policy not to accept foreign currency" etc, even though it is clearly printed on the Notes "POUNDS STIRLING" and it's "Getting on my TITS!:mad::wallbash::eek::oops::rolleyes:

Yes John. We encounter exactly this during EVERY visit to Manchester.

However, with more and more places going cashless it’ll soon become a thing of the past. 🤞

I hope it doesn’t say POUNDS STIRLING. If it does they’re very poor forgeries!

I'm guilty of not using enough cash, it is too easy to use the card. But once the cash has gone there will be no more free banking, no alternative to every payment being recorded. It will be a sad day but most of us are guilty of taking the easy option.

My daughter would ask for my Scottish one pound notes, why.. she found out that she could often got change for a fiver for them.. back in the 90’s when I was working up there.

You do know that Scottish bank notes are NOT legal tender in Scotland, let alone in England? So long as there is confidence that the banks will accept them at their face value, they continue to be used

But once the cash has gone there will be no more free banking
Why do you think that?

The UK’s bizarre, not really “free” retail banking is just a national oddity unrelated to moving pieces of paper around.

Banks make more money from card payments: usually 0.3% but often as much as 2.5%.

And then there’s the £2.5 billion that the banks take from customers in overdraft fees every year. An excellent reason to encourage thoughtless card usage.

(I get at a couple of free transatlantic flights and a couple of return golf flights from my card use each year. There’s a lot of money washing round from card usage.

Last edited:
You do know that Scottish bank notes are NOT legal tender in Scotland, let alone in England? So long as there is confidence that the banks will accept them at their face value, they continue to be used
OK there is a Play on Words here:

Scottish Banknotes are legal currency – i.e. they are approved by the UK Parliament. However, Scottish Bank notes are not Legal Tender, not even in Scotland.

I would hesitate to suggest that paying in cash would be a way to avoid the VAT, as the payment would not be recorded. That would be extremely anti-social, and I am sure that no one on here would entertain it.
You wouldn't catch me doing it,
I hope.

I would hesitate to suggest that paying in cash would be a way to avoid the VAT, as the payment would not be recorded. That would be extremely anti-social, and I am sure that no one on here would entertain it.
I get it.
I haven’t paid for any services where I can pay cash to avoid VAT anyway. Same with doing any work for other people.

Hi,
Whenever I got Scottish or Northern Irish banknotes that needed to be spent - I used to leave my wallet at home and then go and buy fuel.
I used the notes to pay for the already dispensed fuel.
They either took them - or not! I already had the goods.
Would have been interesting if they refused them - but it never once happened.
Cheers
Steve

If you're on the red, you'll be fine.

Don't let small minds and a lack of education in others spoil your day.

Now . . . Have another glass

I get it.
I haven’t paid for any services where I can pay cash to avoid VAT anyway. Same with doing any work for other people.
Good man!
I always make it a point to discuss the VAT with tradesmen and sole traders so that they understand my view regarding avoidance. Mostly they are of the same mind.

I thought the Scots were so tight their banknotes never see the light of day!?🙄🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom