Scottish Bank Notes!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And that's what scares 'them' ...they have no frucking idea where over 50 billion is , that is why they are pushing for a cashless society . Once they have rounded up the 'missing' money they will be in control as long as they do not print any more.
Personally I think the move to cashless is to improve the transparency and reduce criminality and tax evasion.

Where's the point in having a load of stashed cash, as proceeds of crime, if you can't launder it through banks to buy that nice whatever.

And if it is increasingly possible to follow money more of those that are tax dodging (with cash) will be caught up with. Banks are required to report suspicious cash withdrawals, and can ask the customer why?

But big brother stuff is clearly involved.

But I still like to have a bit floating around.
I used to think like that. I loved a bit of cash and always had a wad floating about from a private job or from weighing in some lead.

Nowadays I don’t do many privates and if I do I have to put it through my own Ltd Co. The roofing firm I work for keep me busy 6-7 days a week anyway and the scrap yards I use pay into your account.

I sold a bike back in 2021 and that was the last time I had cash and I probably gave it to my wife and daughter in drubs and drabs. I haven't used my wallet since 2016!

It's been like that for ages , I'm not talking about petty tax evasion by cash in the hand 'rouge tradesmen'. I have witnessed some of them being stuck with too much folding cash when the bank note designs are changed and I think it's hilarious when they scrabble to get shot of it. Usually in the same unimaginative way that they got it in the first place.

The big players do not use cash . I know a window cleaner who sells drugs , he has a card readers and takes a mixture of cash and card transactions for both of his enterprises. He is small time nob head ,but is clever enough to pay some tax.

It's not for him that we need at least some cash to remain in the system.

And if it is increasingly possible to follow money more of those that are tax dodging (with cash) will be caught up with. Banks are required to report suspicious cash withdrawals, and can ask the customer why?

The regulations and monitoring over the last few years have left the use of a lot of cash closed off in a true shadow economy where it transacts and is stored completely outside the banking system.

The difference between now and say 25 years ago is that what visibility there was has dropped *because* of the regulations and reporting.

Paying with bangers just saved me £500 in vodka on a £2500 roof/balcony repair. Yeah yeah, i know, I know.....but monkey is a monkey!
At work now we won't take more than £1000 cash in a single transaction....upsets a few builder types. The banks having the cheek to charge for banking cash helped with that decision.

And that's what scares 'them' ...they have no frucking idea where over 50 billion is , that is why they are pushing for a cashless society . Once they have rounded up the 'missing' money they will be in control as long as they do not print any more.

I am not a luddite with a tin foil hat , far from it , I work internationally and have not been paid in cash...ever. But I still like to have a bit floating around.
I’m not sure it “scares them.” The central banks are happy to print money and for it to disappear.

It’s politicians, who don’t understand economics, who worry and clamour.

A lot of vested interest love cashless. A few percent hear a few percent there. Easy thoughtless spending.

A fiver for a bottle of sparkling water seems expensive if it’s a note, but isn’t noticeable if it’s a card

I’m not sure it “scares them.” The central banks are happy to print money and for it to disappear.

It’s politicians, who don’t understand economics, who worry and clamour.

A lot of vested interest love cashless. A few percent hear a few percent there. Easy thoughtless spending.

A fiver for a bottle of sparkling water seems expensive if it’s a note, but isn’t noticeable if it’s a card
I agree , you will notice I said 'them' and not 'The banks'

In the dim and distant past there was always problems with paying for good in England with Scottish Banks Notes, even though they were Legal Tender!:mad:
For all your ranting John, your initial ‘fact’ is false

No UK issued banknote is ‘legal tender’ - they are all promisery notes. Any vendor can refuse any note without giving a reason.

The only legal tender in the UK are Royal Mint coins (even then, only up to 20p in copper coins is deemed legal)

Notes were created for convenience.

AFAIK there is only one "Scottish" bank that is still headquartered in Scotland and that is the Clydesdale bank/Virgin money. So technically many Scottish banknotes are no longer Scottish in origin. It's a bit like Mercedes masquerading as a "German "manufacturer when many of their cars are built in Finland, South Africa, USA and Hungary- so are they promisery models? ;)

AFAIK there is only one "Scottish" bank that is still headquartered in Scotland and that is the Clydesdale bank/Virgin money. So technically many Scottish banknotes are no longer Scottish in origin. It's a bit like Mercedes masquerading as a "German "manufacturer when many of their cars are built in Finland, South Africa, USA and Hungary- so are they promisery models? ;)
Yes, in a word. They promise the earth then fail to deliver. 😂

In theory, all electronic payments get recorded and can be used to ascertain spending and income. This allows the authorities to potentially trace everything. The problem is that there is an awful lot of hay in the haystack, AND an awful lot of needles, and very few needle hunters. So even if they go looking, they never have enough resources to find all the needles. Yes there is more data, but in reality the vast quantity of data and the scarcity of the resources, mean that the vast majority of receipts/payments go under the radar screen, even when flagged up by IT counter measures.

The problem is that there is an awful lot of hay in the haystack, AND an awful lot of needles, and very few needle hunters. So even if they go looking, they never have enough resources to find all the needles.
🙄🙄

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom