Scottish Road Trip Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

b11ocx

Well my R107 500SL has behaved itself for 600 miles barring a few minor issues which are being resolved... so a road trip beckons.

My dad lives in Dunnet Head which is the Northern most point of Mainland UK, and normally if I drive up, the A9 is my route, however, this time I want to do something different.

So on the way up on the 4th July, I want to take 3 Days or so to get up there with some nice roads, hotel/B&B and food. Maybe going a bit more Westerly and going across the North from Ullapool over to Thurso.

Currently my plan is to stop somewhere up around Loch Lomond on the first night, maybe Fort William on the second, Ullapool on the third, but happy to change that plan if there are some better options.

I am sure that similar trips have been done by members and want to try and get some benefit of that experience. So if you know of a great Restaurant, stunning B&B or a beautiful road, then please let me know, and I can try and work it into the trip. Given it is an old SL... the very windiest roads may make my wife sea sick :eek:

Thanks everyone in advance.

Probably more distance than you want to cover but there is a route known as the 'Lap Of Scotland.'
Petrolhead Nirvana ran a tour there just recently RE: The PistonHeads Highland Tour 2011
The route summary is in the above but if you contact PN, they mught be kind enough to send you the itn file or more info

So on the way up on the 4th July, I want to take 3 Days or so to get up there with some nice roads, hotel/B&B and food. Maybe going a bit more Westerly and going across the North from Ullapool over to Thurso.

Currently my plan is to stop somewhere up around Loch Lomond on the first night, maybe Fort William on the second, Ullapool on the third, but happy to change that plan if there are some better options.

I'm afraid I don't know any B&Bs because it's day trips we tend to take up that way.

I would go with Loch Lomond as first stopover.

Then I'd look at going through Glen Coe to Fort William and then on to Mallaig. Take the ferry from Mallaig to Armadale on Skye and overnight there. Take a detour into the Cuillins (windy roads but you don't have to take them fast).

Then across to Kyle and along to Eilan Donan for some postcard shots. The double back towards Kyle but take the A890 before you reach Kyle to head up to Achnasheen. You can then decide to take the very convoluted route to Ullapool at the junction past Strathcarron or the middling convoluted route at Achnasheen or go all the way towards Garve and pick up the A835.

Well my R107 500SL has behaved itself for 600 miles barring a few minor issues which are being resolved... so a road trip beckons.

My dad lives in Dunnet Head which is the Northern most point of Mainland UK, and normally if I drive up, the A9 is my route, however, this time I want to do something different.

I am sure that similar trips have been done by members and want to try and get some benefit of that experience. So if you know of a great Restaurant, stunning B&B or a beautiful road, then please let me know, and I can try and work it into the trip. Given it is an old SL... the very windiest roads may make my wife sea sick :eek:

Thanks everyone in advance.

Stop at the Premier Inn Dumbarton and follow this route.

I'd recommend night 2 in Kyle of Lochalsh, its all perfectly doable in 1 day, night three in Ullapool

Vary points L to M as you see fit. North of Inchnapdamph, I have not done for so many reasons so don't want to suggest routes, but its all lovely

Premier Inn?

If you're looking for somewhere more in keeping with the car then have a look at Cameron House just outside Balloch on the Loch Lomond shore. It's a nice place to stay and the food is rather good too.

There's also (albeit a bit off your intended route) an excellent hotel in Ballantrae on the A77 from Stranraer to Ayr called Glenapp Castle. It's not cheap but it's utterly exceptional and their 6/7 course evening meal is amazing.

Largs is worth a look too, there's a cracking restaurant / ice-cream parlour called Nardinis.

Roads wise, the Erskine Bridge is worth crossing for the views alone.

Premier Inn?

If you're looking for somewhere more in keeping with the car then have a look at Cameron House just outside Balloch on the Loch Lomond shore. It's a nice place to stay and the food is rather good too.

There's also (albeit a bit off your intended route) an excellent hotel in Ballantrae on the A77 from Stranraer to Ayr called Glenapp Castle. It's not cheap but it's utterly exceptional and their 6/7 course evening meal is amazing.

Largs is worth a look too, there's a cracking restaurant / ice-cream parlour called Nardinis.

Roads wise, the Erskine Bridge is worth crossing for the views alone.

I am more an economy class citizen.

These sorts of hotels are ideal, cheap and clean and attached to somewhere reasonable to eat.

Cameron house is very expensive and the food really not that great, the very few times I have been there the food over priced, and not that representative of what Scottish cuisine has to offer.

The Nardini family do very good icecreams, although in Helensburgh we have a very good icecream place called Dino's.

If you want to do the stay properly you could do it this way....

(rather than stay in the Kyle stay here) or here

Rather than stay in Dumbarton stay here

Routes wise I have gone for the best driving, not the most lavish or expensive accomodation and food, there are lots of nice reasonable places to eat along my route that offer good fresh food at not to unrealistic a price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom