Scott's Crossfire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamC230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A3 & S4 quattro
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=8416

Scott,

Congrats mate, that is a very nice car.

The Crossfire looks are REALLY growing on me. Hated it at first glance, but wow I'm hooked.

For me, having had two w202's the MB parts bin switchgear/dials would be a turn off, but for anyone else, you know you have proven quality I guess.

I have also seen a few on the road and never seen that rear spoiler! How cool! Is there a switch or is auto above a set speed?? - No I am not going to be doing any mods!!

What other cars is your gearbox found in, do you know? I presume it's a MB part too?

Is it a 5 or 6 speed?

I am jealous for the price you got that at.

Graham

Very nice Scott :D

What's the deal with the rear spoiler - does it have manual control or something ? I assume it doesn't sit up there all the time ?!

S.

Have to say, I love the rear view, very Aston-ish and I could live with the old Merc trim inside if they hadn't painted it silver. Don't think the styling works from the front though

I can't tell you how much I am loving the car. Really exciting to get in it every day! I really am starting to think that I would have bought this car at full price given the chance to drive one. I have a mate staying with me at the moment who drives an Aussie muscle car - Falcon XR6 turbo (6 cyl, 350+ hp) and he cannot believe how well this goes for a naturally aspirated 3.2.

Price is astounding. Many current owners very very upset about the deal I got. Just right place right time I guess.

The Merc switchgear amuses enthusiasts like us, but to the non Merc crowd it's all amazing. The spoiler activates at 62mph and disappears automatically at 40mph. For pure posing, you can activate it at any time to a few different positions. Will take a video for you to make you giggle.

Not sure about the box. Apparently it's from MB, but has some differences. It's very good indeed and a cut above some of the MB boxes I have tried. Not sure why, just feels very direct and compliant.

Cornering is the most fun I have ever had. Tyres are 235/40/18 on the front and 255/40/19 on the back, so there is mountains of grip. I am getting a little silly with the cornering speed of my local roundabout. Lost it on Friday night with the traction control turned off, but as I braked the ESP kicked in and rescued me. Whew!

Looking forward to bringing it to the next GTG, and happy to take everyone for a ride!

:)

PS - I love the rear, as it is unique. Front view is extremely American. Interior silver is ok, but should really be real metal, black or fake carbon.

Lovely looking car Scott, makes a change to see something different on the road! Can't believe the price you got it for.

Very nice :cool: I didnt like these cars at first but im now well and truly converted :rock:

Great car mate!

Congratulations! :)

scotth_uk said:
The Merc switchgear amuses enthusiasts like us, but to the non Merc crowd it's all amazing.
If you don't like silver I can get you part numbers for the birdseye maple equivalents ;)

The VW Corrardo had a moving spoiler, activated at 60Mph :)

>If you don't like silver I can get you part numbers for the birdseye maple equivalents

Really? Now I am excited......

If you got it cheap, Scott, my guess would be that was because it's a manual. The press have done a real hatchet job on the Merc 6-speed box (read the Autocar long term report on the Crossfire). In my opinion it's been rubbished unfairly. There are three things you need to be aware of. First, it's stiff when new but it loosens up. Second there was a problem with it where the boxes were over-filled with oil (by 300ml). This causes the first to second change to be very difficult. Thirdly, they fill it with peanut oil. I had mine changed for fully synthetic Redline MTL (same spec) and it makes it a lot smoother.

Also watch out for the cat failing. Is there anyone with a Merc 320V6 that hasn't needed a new cat?

Last edited:
The Manuals were roughly £50 per month less than the autos. I *really* wanted a manual to take over to the 'ring in Germany. Last year's auto effort was too boring.

I really like it, and considering the last manual car I owned was a Vauxhall Cavalier it's a definite improvement. Might consider the synthetic though. Sounds like a mod!

Your car looks GREAT. I'm am really pleased for you. Today is the 27th so today I get to drive the new Cab as well as the coupe and so later on in the day I'll have a better idea of what its like.

I hope you have a great drive. :bannana:

Drooling about the convertible. Let me know your thoughts, am keen for the opinion of others who get to drive it. Remember no matter how fast you think it will go around a corner, feel free to add about 20mph.

MainMan said:
If you got it cheap, Scott, my guess would be that was because it's a manual. The press have done a real hatchet job on the Merc 6-speed box (read the Autocar long term report on the Crossfire). In my opinion it's been rubbished unfairly. There are three things you need to be aware of. First, it's stiff when new but it loosens up. Second there was a problem with it where the boxes were over-filled with oil (by 300ml). This causes the first to second change to be very difficult. Thirdly, they fill it with peanut oil. I had mine changed for fully synthetic Redline MTL (same spec) and it makes it a lot smoother.

Also watch out for the cat failing. Is there anyone with a Merc 320V6 that hasn't needed a new cat?

Reading What Car? they slate the automatic and recommend the manual.

Got to love the UK motoring press. Everyone's got a completely opposite opinion! Everything with a pinch of salt, first hand experience required I say.

Thats spoiler is superb!!! Thanks for making the video :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom