Scrap catalytic converters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KNU7S

Car
1991 R129 500SL Mercedes, 2002 ML270cdi, 2004 Freelander
Hi all, bit of advice i have several old and 1 new catalytic converters what should I expecty for them as scrap

1 is new (non genuine)
2 are used (genuine)
1 is used (non genuine)

I think if they are non genuine the amount of platinum is less? but i cocud be wrong.

Thanks

Tim

Not a great deal !! in fact you may be charged for their disposal due to the possibility of them being classed as hazardous waste !

Lat year they were going for good money approx £30 each but not sure what price is nowadays.
We had a few trucks in that had had their cats stolen over £3k to replace!

Lynall

No idea, but I once financed a South African platinum company that bought the old cats (from a breakers in New Jersey), shipped them back to South Africa where they crushed and extracted the platinum, palladium and rhodium. In the US you can find standard prices for the different cats, and a large european is about US$150, not that that helps here.

I'm sure there is a buyer on ebay.
None genuine cats usually have less Platinum Palladium and Rhodium than original equipment, but now that the legislation has changed if your vehicle was registered on or after 01/03/2001 then you have to have a "type approved" cat which does have more of the valuable metals in.

Cats are still worth money even if they are old and have failed.
if a vehicle suffers from "over fuelling" the honeycomb ceramic material in the Monolith (cat brick) acts like a sponge and absorbs the metals, they regress into the brick and the cat becomes less efficient. The precious metals are still there.
If the cat is not ceramic but a metal brick the as the car “over fuels” and the brick become too hot the precious metals are washed straight out the back of the exhaust.
£4 - £5 ish for a none appoved cat
£8- £10 for and approved cat
£20- £90 for and original equipment.

sTeVe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom