Scrap price

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

talltimtam

Out of interest and with the rising price of raw materials does anyone know how much you get nowadays when you take a car in for scrap ?

A mate recently took his Granada Scorpio in (H reg) and got £240.

A couple places near me will give a minimum of £100 for a car with V5.

Fifth Gear (if I remember correctly) did a piece on this. One of the presenters looked through a local paper for a car with MOT and Tax. He paid £150 for an old Astra took it straight to the auctions where it was bought for £250 by a scrap dealer. It didn't have alloy wheels which would have put up the price. The dealer reckoned he would sell the "car" for £350.

Apparently a lot of scrap dealers now go to auctions for this.

I think my old 300TE would fetch a reasonable price, there's a lot of metal in there!!

My colleague sold his Alfa Romeo 156 (I think) with head gasket gone (or not, 4 mechanics, 3 different stories) for...

£125

(basically, Alfa is like expensive Fiat but it is still Fiat)

Cheers
Chris

Last edited:
A colleague just scrapped a Peugeot 306 Saloon ( a rare beast, and for a good reason...) for £185. They didn't appear to have noticed the breeze blocks in the boot when they weighed it in.... :rolleyes:

My local yard now have a weighbridge installed. A sign of the times.

If you're not doing it regularly a good way of getting the weight up is to tish all the side windows and soak the seats and carpets etc with water - they really do soak it up - obviously don't do it in the middle of summer - unless it's like the last couple of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom