Scraping noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paradroid

Car
2020 C300 Coupe (W205)
Got a Jan 2020 C300 Coupe with 7k on the clock, and it's making a scraping noise going over the pesky traffic calming ramps near my house. It's from the front of the car

I think it's something dry on the suspension rather than bottoming out, can't see any signs of scraping on the little plastic plates that hang down near the front wheels.

Would people recommend I start with the main dealer as a warranty issue? It's my first Merc and I don't know how easygoing they are on warranty work. Thanks

Got a Jan 2020 C300 Coupe with 7k on the clock, and it's making a scraping noise going over the pesky traffic calming ramps near my house. It's from the front of the car

I think it's something dry on the suspension rather than bottoming out, can't see any signs of scraping on the little plastic plates that hang down near the front wheels.

Would people recommend I start with the main dealer as a warranty issue? It's my first Merc and I don't know how easygoing they are on warranty work. Thanks
I think you may find they are low on the front, measure how high the car is off the front, i think mine and others was 7 inches.

Yes you're right it is very low, I was having a look before. Would say less than 7 inches. Looks more like 4-5in below those two plastic plates!!

Interesting point though, maybe it is that. My old car is an M140i, that's pretty low too, and doesn't scrape, but maybe there's a bit more clearance.

Will check a bit more before going off to the dealers, thanks

Quick update on this, it's definitely not grounding out, and the noise has developed a bit. It's now more of a clonk, it sounds like the anti-roll bar to me, in at the dealers tomorrow so we will see what they find.

Mudflaps ! You have reminded me of my company car day's driving my Omega CDX with the horrible 2.2 diesel engine . On the way to one particular customer out in the sticks there was a dip in the fast flowing road that if taken just right I could ground out the front mud flaps on said soft Vauxhall barge , it was about as much excitement as could be mustered in that car. :).

I have since bed down that way and thought 'what the bloody hell were you thinking boy...!? '

PP We have all been down that way .So many things i did back then makes me shiver now .
The other day the other half -war depot - took me to the dentist and on the way there we could hear this tap tap sounded like a nail in the tyre or drive shaft . Ther car is a little 2004 Micra 1 Lt but a good little car with only 11000 on the clock .. So on the way she had to drive over speed bumps and this noise was only present at that time . We went through all the things it could have been ,.And we were both wrong .I checked the car on the drive after we got home .Shaking the wheels pushing on the car body front and back to make it do the noise again . I found nothing .So i said to w/d put the car in the garage .And our floor leading in to the garage as a slight dip to drain away any rain water .Then i heard the noise again It was then i saw the radio mast hit the car roof . Sorted i locked the bolt holding the mast ..

Have an update - MB Preston were able to reproduce the noise, they inspected the suspension and found nothing wrong, so greased all the relevant suspension points and it's resolved. Woohoo, good result, nothing to worry about. Car had a good healthcheck while it's in there too, and it's all fine, which adds a bit of peace of mind as I've only had it a few weeks. Now there's just the swirly paintwork to get tidied up and it'll be how I want it.

Really pleased with Marshalls Preston, good service and comms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom