Scrappage scheme

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stumpy1

MB Enthusiast
Car
Various Mercs and non Mercs
Has anyone here scrapped a car against a new one? Is it easy? I'm probably putting my 124 estate in against a new S this week as it is the only way I'll get 2 grand for it. Seems a shame as the car is serviceable with a headgasket repair, loom repair and gearbox rebuild all done last year. But am I right in thinking cars traded under this scheme have to be crushed?

Most go abroad to Poland and lativa, just pop over to Aldershot car spares to see for yourself...

Is it possible to negotiate a larger discount with no scrappage?

Father in law had mint Honda scrapped under scheme could have got new car VW Golf for less without scrappage but would not believe it !!!!!!!!!!!

I traded an 'N' reg Micra with front damage for a Hyundai i10.
£5295 for a brand new car with 5 year warranty, £35 road tax, aircon, side airbags etc...
Small cars like this made sense under the scrappage scheme but possibly on an S-Class you'd be better off negotiating a discount or better still buy a year old one?
Is it easy? Yes, they check the logbook and MOT an then you just sign the order form.
Edit..
...am I right in thinking cars traded under this scheme have to be crushed?
Yes, but you can take off lots of bits and sell them before you trade it in.
Also, you're running out of time for scrappage. The new car has to be registered by the end of Feb. What's the delivery time on the S?

Last edited:
Looks like I might sell the 124 privately then. Thanks chaps

Most go abroad to Poland and lativa, just pop over to Aldershot car spares to see for yourself...

Urban myth (unless you are publically "outing" an organised crime outfit?).

To get the Goverment £1,000, the car has to go to an Authorised Treatment Facility where he car is cleared of all polluting fluids (this includes removing shocks and struts) and then recycled.

If any of these are going "whole" abroad then your quoted organisation's directors face 5-10 years for fraud AND are breaking export rules for recycled materials....

I suspect you are seeing UK Insurance write-offs (e.g. a 14 year old W124 needing a wing and a bumper plus paint) rather than scrappage cars going abroad.

£5295 for a brand new car with 5 year warranty, £35 road tax, aircon, side airbags etc...
Small cars like this made sense under the scrappage scheme but possibly on an S-Class you'd be better off negotiating a discount or better still buy a year old one?
Is it easy? Yes, they check the logbook and MOT an then you just sign the order form.
Edit..

Yes, but you can take off lots of bits and sell them before you trade it in.
Also, you're running out of time for scrappage. The new car has to be registered by the end of Feb. What's the delivery time on the S?

I'll buy one from stock.

Maybe im wrong, but I thought the scrappage scheme was only against new cars that are 'clean' not an S-Class

To get the Goverment £1,000, the car has to go to an Authorised Treatment Facility where he car is cleared of all polluting fluids (this includes removing shocks and struts) and then recycled.
When my Father's Porsche 944 was taken for scrappage (against a tiny French thing) it was "cleared of all accessories and loose parts" let alone polluting fluids! Basically the chassis was crushed and the bits went into the aftermarket somewhere.

have you seen the deal they are doing now if you bought an i10 on scrappage scheme you can trade up to a 2010 model any time in the first 12 months for £499. =£20 a week including depreciation bargain

Look at the car's on U-Pull-It, we think they're scrappage scheme cars. A lot of them have no damage whatsoever and all parts apart from the frame, catalytic convertor and battery can be had.

Their sister company CoPart seems to deal with insurance write offs.

The i10 arrived yesterday. I got the price wrong before it's actually £5195 not £5295. They also gave us £50 M&s vouchers and a tenner for fuel, a total bargain.
The Micra we traded had a genuine low mileage but had had a hard life in the last 18 months. Lets hope the new one gets treated a bit better :doh:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom