Scratch removal on kick plates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnlondonw3

Car
BMW
Can anyone tell me if its possible to remove the scratches and scuffs on the driver and passenger sills of a SL ?
Does that metal polish stuff work ...cant remember its name had a tube years ago to get rid of rust and pitting on another car ....

Autosol

I think that would be too abrasive.

They probably are lacquered and therefore metal polish will not work.

Check the finish first.

Hi Derek

I have done just that with my R107. Took them off and down to a local metal polishers, put the on the mop came back like new. Only cost £20 and he also polished the screw heads. Mercedes charge £2 each for new ones

Druk
Its on a 58 plate
Brucemillar,
what sort of T cut ?

Standard T-Cut will remove light scratching as it is not too abrasive. That said, so will Autosol. Just go easy on the elbow pressure at first to see if it is doing any good.

Hi Derek

I have done just that with my R107. Took them off and down to a local metal polishers, put the on the mop came back like new. Only cost £20 and he also polished the screw heads. Mercedes charge £2 each for new ones

It's why I was asking Paul. Did mine a few years ago and they're still like new. :thumb:

For a '58 plate car I've no idea I'm afraid. It's likely they're not solid stainless like wot they used to make :D

If the scratching is very light and you want a minty finish try using toothpaste on a cloth. I know it sounds daft but it is very mildly abrasive. It also brings dullend plastic headlight covers back to life.

Thanks fellas ...Ill start of with the toothpaste ( I assume the whitening compound !)and work up from there !

I too would be interested in the remedy here. My 2007 SL55 has badly marked sills, but I think these are plastic lacquered and hence can't be easily sorted.

I have been looking at either complete replacement (expensive) or some kind of vinyl wrap or similar. Perhaps paint black with plasti-cote, or replace with the lit versions ( not really to my taste though)

They let the whole car down.

Seems like a dent Winter job to sort though.

Tim

Pictures would help.

If they're lacquered, take your finger nail across the scratch lightly, if it catches it's probably not able to be polished out.

If it's bare metal and light scratches Autosol should work fine. For bad scratches google bitemax twins, I've not used them (yet) but they are flavour of the week over on Detailing World.

If it's a brushed finish go easy to avoid affecting the surface finish. I guess you could re-brush finish them once the scratches are removed if needed...but that's beyond my experience!

My door sills could definitely door with a good scrub up.

Would love to see some before and after shots.

If it's a brushed finish go easy to avoid affecting the surface finish.

I've been following this thread closely, as mine are brushed and other than a good clean, I'm rather reluctant to DIY (as in ruin the look) :crazy: ... even though the few little dings/scratches that, according to my wife, only I can see, bother me somewhat :rolleyes:

Johnlondonw3. Did you have any joy with getting the scratches out with the toothpaste?

Dying to know myself, how did they come out using toothpaste?

Got a few minor jobs that need doing on my car and the most visible annoyance is the scratches on the sill plates so looking for inspiration..

Sorry for delay in responding ...been away for a few days !
Ive not had a chance yet ,but will give it a go over the holidays and let you know how I get on

Happy Christmas everyone

Looking forward to it..

I'm not a diy person so need to see it done first before I'm brave enough to give it a go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom