Scratched new card!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

harvin1975

Car
E Class Estate W212; VW Golf
image.jpg

:doh:

Gutted! Just finished washing my car and thought i'd move it on the drive.
Edged towards the front gate and audible parking sensors went off - visual from camera showed i had a little more room though and then suddenly the gate moved. I quickly got out and saw gate was jammed and instantly knew car would have a deep scratch. Backed e car up and yes - a deep scratch on driver front bumper :(

I am so annoyed with myself!:wallbash:

Anyone know how best to resolve this on a car less than 3 weeks old?
Should i take to dealership, or a body paint repair person, even Halfords?
Also, what sort of price would it be to resolve?
The alternative is i just get myself a touch up pen and try to resolve it as best i can.

Appreciate your recommendations please.

:wallbash:

image.jpg

With photo right way up this time.

Last edited:
Is it just the scuff on the front ? Or is it on the side of the arch also ? If so I'd get a good body shop to do it , if only the fron part is get some touch up paint and do it myself , taking my time to apply it in stages to build up to the right level ,,, regards Jon

I'd ignore it.

Every new car is going to get a scratch sooner or later, now you've got it done and over with.

Is it just the scuff on the front ? Or is it on the side of the arch also ? If so I'd get a good body shop to do it , if only the fron part is get some touch up paint and do it myself , taking my time to apply it in stages to build up to the right level ,,, regards Jon

Probably not obvious on the photo - but it's the 2 chips on lift and scratch to the right of them. It's viewable from both side and front of car - got the car of the angle :(

Probably not obvious on the photo - but it's the 2 chips on lift and scratch to the right of them. It's viewable from both side and front of car - got the car of the angle :(

If that's the case I'd get some touch up and do as I suggested in my last post , as said by meldrew , front end will get a bit of a battering , but if your like me you'd rather get it covered and looking nice than see the undercoat every time you wash it or view it :doh:

I wouldn't risk anyone matching or painting the hyacinth Harvin. You will end up with a huge bumper in a different shade. Touch up, harden, buff, repeat etc.

Or buy the touch up and visit a detailer and £50 should cover it. Smart repairs are great short term but go milky long term, in my experience.

I've just noticed you live in Dorset, there is a guy who everyone on Pistonheads South Coast recommend who is based in or around Southampton who does scratches and panel damage. I'll try to find his details I think he is called Singeon or similar.

I wouldn't risk anyone matching or painting the hyacinth Harvin. You will end up with a huge bumper in a different shade. Touch up, harden, buff, repeat etc.

Or buy the touch up and visit a detailer and £50 should cover it. Smart repairs are great short term but go milky long term, in my experience.

I think this is they way i'll go. I'm sure this isn't going to be the first time something like this happens. Just a shame it was in first month of ownership.
Getting a touch up kit and visiting a detailer sounds like a good option - i may try layering it gently first and see how that looks. If anything, at that point it'll just be a job of buffing any layers down. Cheers Alf.

I've just noticed you live in Dorset, there is a guy who everyone on Pistonheads South Coast recommend who is based in or around Southampton who does scratches and panel damage. I'll try to find his details I think he is called Singeon or similar.

I've got a cousin in Southampton who used to be a partner in a prestige car hire company. He's fairly clued up with the local car repair businesses - i'll see if Singeon rings any bells and what price is.

I have used these guys before with great results.

http://shinerepair.com

Looks and unusual (and nice) colour though...

S

Crikey - £165 for bumper repair :eek:

Note to self : cameras lie!

Alf - on a seperate note. Visited dealership today just regarding some minor questions i had. One was the sound of the engine at rest, especially at start up. Sounds like a diesel! I know it's not the mosted refined sounding petrol engine. However, one of the guys there agreed and has suggested i book it in to get it sorted as he agreed it should be much quieter. I don't notice it once i'm in the car.
Anyway, as another owner of a w212 e250 petrol i thought i'd let you know. I'll inform you of outcome as yours may be same.

Crikey - £165 for bumper repair :eek:

Be grateful, I hit a discarded traffic cone laying on its side the other night - it destroyed the bumper, grille, fog lamp, wheel arch liner and undertray. The bill is over 25x that. £165 is a good price and it will be back to original!

S

Be grateful, I hit a discarded traffic cone laying on its side the other night - it destroyed the bumper, grille, fog lamp, wheel arch liner and undertray. The bill is over 25x that. £165 is a good price and it will be back to original!

S

Crikey 4 grand - can't you claim on insurance?

Alf - on a seperate note. Visited dealership today just regarding some minor questions i had. One was the sound of the engine at rest, especially at start up. Sounds like a diesel! I know it's not the mosted refined sounding petrol engine. However, one of the guys there agreed and has suggested i book it in to get it sorted as he agreed it should be much quieter. I don't notice it once i'm in the car.
Anyway, as another owner of a w212 e250 petrol i thought i'd let you know. I'll inform you of outcome as yours may be same.

Alf - dealer had a look at the engine noise upon start up. Everything in order. They state it's something to do with the turbo making the noise - just taken their word for it as I've seen reviews stating the engine isn't the most refined.

Cheers for that Harvin, I had a sneaky idea that would be the response....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom