Scratched piano black inlay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rich764089

MB Enthusiast
Car
E63 AMG S212 5.5, W221 S500, W220 S600, GBS Zero, Defender Wolf 110, Audi A6 BiTdi, Octavia vRS
Very annoyed that I've scratched the piano black inlay in front of the gear knob in my S212. There must have been grit where the small cubby hole lid slides back.
I think it's too deeply scratched to rectify, but any advice welcome.
Alternatively is it easy to replace just the sliding lid to this compartment?

20210815_165026.jpg

But if you really want to cut corners, there are cheap kevlar-effect clip-on (or stick-on) covers on eBay.........

Easily to replace, and cheap to buy.
Excellent thanks, in that case I'll definitely replace. Just I've been struggling to find the part... I'll look harder!

Excellent thanks, in that case I'll definitely replace. Just I've been struggling to find the part... I'll look harder!

You'll need to find the MB part number on EPC. There would be 4 additional digits after the part number, designating the colours. Unfortunately MB blocked EPC subscriptions for private users, so I can't help..... someone who still have access to the MB EPC might be able to provide the P/N based on the VIN.

Alternatively remove the part and check for the part number.

Thanks Mark. I think I’ve found it A2126805350.

I'll remove the part and double check before ordering.

I've had great results polishing these with a DA polisher and some plastic polish.
I did the ashtray cover and the adjacent covers to remove polishing marks and they came up as new

I was considering it, but then the ashtray cover was only £20 new from MB, so my laziness got the better of me :D

This is what I did with my piano black....

Very nice, I like that! I'm still considering what to do with mine...

Thread resurrection!

I finally ordered a replacement part... but got sent the wrong part: the underlying ashtray rather that the top that clips on the slide back mechanism. I'm getting a refund as the part I want is nearly £300 and I refuse to pay that.

@markjay you said replacement would be cheap. Details appreciated 😁

Thread resurrection!

I finally ordered a replacement part... but got sent the wrong part: the underlying ashtray rather that the top that clips on the slide back mechanism. I'm getting a refund as the part I want is nearly £300 and I refuse to pay that.

@markjay you said replacement would be cheap. Details appreciated 😁
Mine was £20... brand new.... the car was going to Comand UK for some retrofits, so I asked them to order and and fit it, which they did. It was the ashtray cover for my W204, piano black.

Mine was £20... brand new.... the car was going to Comand UK for some retrofits, so I asked them to order and and fit it, which they did. It was the ashtray cover for my W204, piano black.
Thanks Mark. I think it was £280 I was quoted. MB Grangemouth. Nearly keeled over. I'd get a spare as well if it was £20!

You might be able to get it vinyl wrapped, or some or all of the interior vinyl wrapped, or even try a DIY vinyl wrap on that localised piece. What do you have to lose? £10 or £20 and a bit of time and peel it off if you don't like it.
As a cheap experiment, I'd see if I could vinyl wrap an easily removable part myself.

I'm not a fan of the 'brushed aluminium' look in my E350, and I've toyed with the idea of wrapping all the interior trim and insets with something else. Either a wood effect vinyl like the dark ash, or (shudders slightly at the thought) a fake carbon fiber trim. I did dismiss it for a good while, but I have now noticed the top of the silver sports steering wheel silver/plasticised chrome trim is lifting on the edge closest to the driver's instrument cluster, and it is literally like a razor blade. Seems this is massively common. I'm expecting a full pro vinyl wrap is about the same price as buying the steering wheel chrome and having that fitted.

Great suggestion, thanks @MrGreedy

I'm speaking to a wrapper about chrome delete soon, so will ask what they can do 👍

Try Autosol on a microfibre cloth. Someone told me about it so I tried it on my Range Rover. Scratches gone, but I must say they were very light certainly not as bad as yours. Worth a try, it may help

Try Autosol on a microfibre cloth. Someone told me about it so I tried it on my Range Rover. Scratches gone, but I must say they were very light certainly not as bad as yours. Worth a try, it may help
Another great suggestion, thank you! When you tried this, did the surface remain as glossy after the scratches were removed?

Another great suggestion, thank you! When you tried this, did the surface remain as glossy after the scratches were removed?
Yes, it came up like new. It may not work on your deep scratches (mine were fairly light) but should remove the minor scratches then it may be acceptable. Surface was back to glossy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom