Scratches on paintwork - T-Cut or have things moved on?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palfrem

MB Enthusiast
Car
W124 E36 AMG, G 300 GEL his, SLK 200 hers
The tops of the wings on my G and the bonnet have quite a few scratches that could do with being polished out.

I suspect good old T-Cut is passe now, so any recommendations on a good compound to use by hand (I don't have a machine) on black paintwork please?

Thanks

It's not my area of expertise.

I bought a black car a few years ago and, despite, being only a few months old it had similar problems.

I used Poorboys black hole and some other Poorboys product, maybe a glaze?

It sorted the mark right up until I washed the car.

Maybe some kind of sealer on top would have made the effect longer lasting?

The tops of the wings on my G and the bonnet have quite a few scratches that could do with being polished out.

I suspect good old T-Cut is passe now, so any recommendations on a good compound to use by hand (I don't have a machine) on black paintwork please?

Thanks

By hand i used g3 paste from halfords. For black paint id invest in a machine as you will get better results. Failing that compound and glaze. Blackhole has good filling properties so does 50cal cover up glaze and kkd regloss. Blackhole is the easist to use thou

Use some G3 scratch remover from Halfords and follow up with Megs 205 and 105 to refine.

If the scratches aren't all over the place you can do it by hand, else I'd buy a DA.

If you can't be bothered buying all three, try AG Super Resin Polish, it'll remove the fine scratches and fill the heavier scratches.

Steve

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I think every thing depends on how deep these scratches are and how comfortable you feel in your own ability.
Light marks can be removed easy enough, but you will need to be careful as you don't know how thick the paint is in the area of the car that needs treating.
If in doubt get some professional advice.
Poorboys is a good product if you decide to try yourself but dont rub to hard.

Did you move the RR on M?

T-Cut will actually work but it's quite harsh stuff. Most polishes now days are micro-abrasive so they become less harsh as they're worked.

Meguiars Scratch-X works very well to remove marks by hand.

Entirely whether of not you are looking to repair/correct or make it look presentable.

The former needs all sorts of work and a machine ideally but the latter can easily be done with something like Turtle Wax Colour Magic. The black one (it does wash off your hands but gloves are advised) masks swirls and scratches well but once looking nice, best to finish with a glaze for longevity of finish/scratch hiding i.e. to stop the coloured filler being washed away.

UPDATE.

Always had a liking for Autoglym stuff, so I have bought some of their "Paint Renovator" to try. (Cue all the pros telling me how crap it is)

I'll be having a go today. I'll try and do a few before & after snaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom