Screen & Printer Calibration

Do you or would you consider paying for screen and printer calibration

• No - I don't see the point / need

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Yes - I do my own and have my own kit.

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Yes - I would be willing to pay for this (say what price you deem is a fair price)

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crockers

MB Enthusiast
Car
XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
I recently saw a demo of screen and printer calibration and I do have to admit I was impressed. I had often wondered why the photos I took just don't look right when printed..now I know.

Trouble is it is a very expensive piece of kit etc so I was wondering if there is a hidden small business / hobby there.

So I just wanted to test the waters here and get some views.

Cost of the kit etc is over £400 and takes a good hour to do allowing for the print to dry so the printer can be calibrated correctly to match the recalibrated screen.

Last edited:
I have my own kit from the CRT days... that said, I'm SURE I didn't pay £400 for it... Mine came free with a HP inkjet I got (essentially a camcorder that gets clipped to your screen).

Worked quite well... but then I realised that printing pictures on an inkjet (and inkjets in general) is a false economy, so I've relegated it to the loft somewhere...

M.

There are already people doing this as a business! I was told to make sure when I buy a new TV to get a bloke in to calibrate that too as it makes a huge difference.

I have a 'Spyder' for screen calibration and have used 'Profile Prism' in the past for printer profiling. However, I only normally use a couple of different printer papers, so have been using Pureprofiles.com, with good results. There's lots of places doing printer profiling - just Google it and see!

My Mum has just had it done. Made no difference at all to her printouts.

My Mum has just had it done. Made no difference at all to her printouts.

If it made no difference then either it was correct already (unlikely) or the correct profile is not being chosen/used when printing. Also don't forget that each and every paper type will require it's own personal profile, most paper manufactures have "generic" profiles for free on their web sites.

Monitors will need profiling about every 2 to 3 weeks as well. If you are serious about correct colour on your prints, buy a monitor and printer profiling kit, something like THIS

If it made no difference then either it was correct already (unlikely) or the correct profile is not being chosen/used when printing. Also don't forget that each and every paper type will require it's own personal profile, most paper manufactures have "generic" profiles for free on their web sites.

Monitors will need profiling about every 2 to 3 weeks as well. If you are serious about correct colour on your prints, buy a monitor and printer profiling kit, something like THIS

That is what I was looking at -- nice to see it is cheaper there :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom