screenwash lies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
im guessing the w210 should be heated too then?
my jets don't heat up!! :S

The quality Merc screen wash and antifreeze solution (they are two seperate items in different bottles and you need both) contain additives which help lessen the effects of the hard water found (especially) in the south of England.

This will help top keep the washer jets/heating element free from scale build up.

Andy, Ade - heated washers, heated water bottle and hoses were an option not a standard fitment in this country I am sure - perhaps they were standard in Scandinavian countries?

They are standard on the w209 CLK, mine have never frozen yet.

Russ

The quality Merc screen wash and antifreeze solution (they are two seperate items in different bottles and you need both) contain additives which help lessen the effects of the hard water found (especially) in the south of England.

This will help top keep the washer jets/heating element free from scale build up.

do you believe everything you read on the packets? :)

Andy, Ade - heated washers, heated water bottle and hoses were an option not a standard fitment in this country I am sure - perhaps they were standard in Scandinavian countries?

My W211 has the full shabang :)

AFAIK, my heated door mirrors only come on with the rear screen demister.. Will have a poke round at the weekend as I need to check the sensor to the screen wash anyway..

At least the new OVP seems to be holding up.. :)

Ade

That's what I thought too but I felt my door mirrors the other morning and they were warm to the touch. The rear screen was not and had not been on...:confused:

as far as i know , this is the case.

Happy to stand corrected, the only basis for my assumption was the first time I realised that I had heated mirrors was one cold wet morning a while back. When I switched on the rear heated screen, the mirrors started to steam.

I imagine it would say something in the handbook, if I could ever remember to check it..

Ade :)

Happy to stand corrected, the only basis for my assumption was the first time I realised that I had heated mirrors was one cold wet morning a while back. When I switched on the rear heated screen, the mirrors started to steam.

I imagine it would say something in the handbook, if I could ever remember to check it..

My mirrors are warm to the touch even without the window being on. Has been the same since my '98 W202. Even my Smart ( with the optional!?!?!) heated mirrors were warm all the time.

Its good for safety , keeps the mirrors clear of rain etc.

When i get a warm day in say 6 months time:D , ill check to see if they come on in the warmer weather.

add to that atmospheric temperature and windchill, and you have a frozen screen :D

That is the real answer. The wind drags heat out of the water droplets so they freeze, sometimes this can happen above 0c.
It's the same phenomenon as carburettor icing.

Wait until your screen is warmer before spraying with water.

Door mirror elements come on independently of the heated rear window element. Now I need to look under the bonnet for wires to the washer jets.:crazy:

Screenwash, I have been adding a bottle of vinegar to the wash bottle for 30 years. £0.24p a bottle from Tesco.

No smears and it has never frozen yet and never done any damage to the paint or windscreen rubber on any of my cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom