Screenwash: poor labelling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welland99

Car
W210 E280 estate 1999 facelift; 6th gen honda accord coupe 2000
Why is the labelling on screenwash so poor? With comments like:

Dilution rates for summer, winter, extreme winter.... We need actual temperatures with relevant dilution rates.

And i've seen some that say "use neat for maximum protection" AND "Ensure spills on bodywork are wiped up immediately". How is a spill on bodywork different to overspray and dribbles when using the product? So, Are these products to be avoided for fear of damaging paintwork?

I would just buy screen wash which is more informative!

MB Summerfit is really cheap but Winterfit is a little more pricey - still worth it though IMHO - it's specifies dilution ratios by minimum temperature too.

The issue I came across last year was the difference in chemical formula of some screen-wash products.
They range from toxic to non-hazardous, yet offer same effect.

Absolute joy from the employer point of view when going through COSHH assessments.

There is a peelback sticker on the summer and winter fit, after you peel it back there is the information you are looking for in 32 different languages...:):)

I use Halfords as it has the Temp on the container and is not to expensive either.

Buy it from MB, £4.16 for the Winterfit, crystal clear dilution/temp chart, good to -20C. Guaranteed compatibility with the car's system, no nasty sludge in the washer bottle and great used neat on wiper blades to rejuvenate them!

Last edited:
Summer and winter fit, the only time I've been able to achieve clear vision in the rain, at night, behind trucks on the open road. It is good stuff whatever it is!!

Summer and winter fit, the only time I've been able to achieve clear vision in the rain, at night, behind trucks on the open road. It is good stuff whatever it is!!

Have you tried using Rain-X ?

No, I haven't, just had problems using the local fluid so cleaned out the system and went with what MB were offering. It works, I drove with no wiper at 80 - 100 km/h in the rain for quite a few miles, it can be done but after a while it becomes a bit of a strain. The "fit" series has surfactants that I think help like Rain X...
There is a whole list of ingredients on the label that finds its way in there, someone somwhere has spend a lot of time figuring out what is best, and also safe for soft tops.
Didn't know about the blade lube properties, but the anti misting properties are legendary. The bit that is best though is that there is no growth in the water bottle and all the plastic & oil that used to be sprayed out the nozzles is no longer, for some reason I think the cheap stuff was breaking down the plastic/rubber in the system and spraying that onto the screen = near constant webbing.

I've driven in heavy rain and truck spray at 'approx 120 kph' ;) with the wipers off and a screen treated with Rain-X and it was definitely a better experience than using wipers.

The rain simply beads away from your screen and you do not get the annoying distraction from the wipers - however far you try and focus up the road.

I still use WinterFit in my washer bottle though ........

Buy it from MB, £4.16 for the Winterfit, crystal clear dilution/temp chart, good to -20C. Guaranteed compatibility with the car's system, no nasty sludge in the washer bottle and great used neat on wiper blades to rejuvenate them!

That's helpful to know. Thanks. How big is this bottle? Can you post up the details of the dilution and protection rates, please?

Trouble is that i live nowhere near a MB dealer. This is not usually a problem as I can't remember the last time i needed something that could only be obtained from a dealer. But if i'm passing, then i could pop in.

Was looking on the web yesterday and eurocarparts have some tempting products. But, there's the same issue with rubbish labelling. This is compounded by staff who try to help, but clearly have no idea what they are talking about. Questions like:

What car have you got?? (makes no difference)
It all depends on the weather..... (I know that!!!!!!)
If it protects to -15C neat, then 50/50 will protect you to -7.5C (Oh no it won't)

....simply frustrating....:ban:

If it protects to -15C neat, then 50/50 will protect you to -7.5C (Oh no it won't)

....simply frustrating....:ban:

Ha ha!!
You should have asked him, " if it was 0 degrees yesterday, and today is twice as cold as yesterday, what temperature is it today?" :devil:

That's helpful to know. Thanks. How big is this bottle? Can you post up the details of the dilution and protection rates, please?

Trouble is that i live nowhere near a MB dealer. This is not usually a problem as I can't remember the last time i needed something that could only be obtained from a dealer. But if i'm passing, then i could pop in.

1ltr bottle

-10c @ 1:2 wash to water
-20c @ 1:1
-29c @ 2:1

Still looking into this screenwash dilution.......

Had a look on the bluecol website to see what it said (because their bottles are not very helpful either). Bluecol Screen Wash

(If the website says "database error" - press F5, then it will work :thumb:)

OK, so finally some clear dilution instructions. :bannana:

I've plotted a graph of dilution rates (including MB Winterfit for comparison) and the relationship between concentration and temperature protection seems to be linear. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/538fjwwm95vhxhv/xCkCMyaAfc

It appears that if you know the protection temperature of the neat screenwash, one can plot a graph with a straight line starting at 0C / 0% (ie pure water):dk:. So, this might be simpler that I first thought.

What do you think? Is it really a simple linear relationship....:doh:

What do you think?

I'm not going to say what I really think!! :D

Seriously, just use a decent winter fluid and stick with it.

Mixing fluids is the worst thing to do, it start to congeal and will block your washes well before they freeze.

Not sure which brand/type of screenwash you use, but hope this is helpful:

Bluecol Double Impact Screenwash and de-icer (blue, high power concentrate)
Normal conditions (protects to -9ºC): 5% (i.e 50ml per ltr)
Winter conditions (to -18ºC): 20% (i.e 200ml per ltr)
Extreme conditions (to -36ºC): 33% (i.e 330ml pet ltr)

Bluecol Subzero Screenwash
Same dilution

Bluecol Bug blitzer and rain repellent screen wash (pink)
Normal condition: 20%
Winter: 33%
Extreme: 50%

Bluecol 3-in-1: Screenwash; De-icer; rain repellent (pink)
Normal: 500ml per litre
Winter: 1ltr per ltr.
Exreme: Neat

CarPlan All Seasons Screenwash High Power Concentrate
Summer: 10%
Winter: 25%

Happened to be in B&Q yesterday. I noticed screen wash on a shelf labelled 3 for 2 so took 3 to the check out and was charged for 3. "NO" I said clearly marked on the shelf 3 for 2 . I was told the offer only referred to cleaning products! "But it is a screen wash/cleaner " I insisted but to no avail . I left 3 containers on the cash desk!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom