Screenwash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tonysmb

Car
MB
The handbooks now refer to the need to use a windscreen washer fluid that is compatible with plastic headlamp lenses (assuming car has headlamp washers).

Obvioulsy the MB dealer supplied fluid is suitable, but what other brands specifically state suitable for plastic lenses? I haven't seen one yet. Any suggestions?

I've used all sorts of screenwash over the years and yet to see any sign of the headlamps showing any sort of damage?

Russ

The Lidl stuff, which I think is back in stock at the moment, is one of the best at cleaning, goes down to silly temperatures and is also one of the cheapest, have used it for years on various cars with plastic headlamps with no problems.

Smells a bit odd but nothing to get upset about.

I was looking for this also, i wonder if mb write that in handbook so they can rip you off ?????

Any new cars still have glass headlights?

I understand that some people have had issues with differing washer fluids causing 'slime' etc to form in the system, potentially blocking the headlight washers/freezing and resulting in washer jamming, not covered under warranty if 'incorrect' fluid used.

I've previously used the Lidl screenwash (the normal one and the concentrate), but was curious to see what others use.

I don't know which screen wash the dealers used but it's coming out soapy! Leaving white marks on the window! Can any1 tell me the best way to fix this?? ( Was thinking of using it all up until empty and then filling up with antifreeze purchased from ECP )
Cheers

I don't know which screen wash the dealers used but it's coming out soapy! Leaving white marks on the window! Can any1 tell me the best way to fix this?? ( Was thinking of using it all up until empty and then filling up with antifreeze purchased from ECP )
Cheers

Worry about it in the morning Kam, it's too early to think about it

Cheers

You may want to rethink the idea of putting antifreeze in your screen washer bottle..

;)

So what can I do to fix the soapy fluid?

And where can I buy the best suitable windscreen washer? Cheers

Apparently comma's extreme wash has come out on top overall so think I will go for that and hopefully no more soapy liquid coming out!

Your dealer has either used too high a concentrate of screenwash or something inappropriate and high foaming (like washing-up liquid).

The solution (sorry!) is to top up with water - no worries yet about low temperatures - until the soapiness diminishes.

BernardB said:
Your dealer has either used too high a concentrate of screenwash or something inappropriate and high foaming (like washing-up liquid). The solution (sorry!) is to top up with water - no worries yet about low temperatures - until the soapiness diminishes.

Nice 1, will empty it and put in appropriate screen wash then see what happens..

Take a pipe and drain your screenwash tank. Refill with clean water, and drain through the nozzles for a minute or so. Drain rest of fluid through pipe. Refill and repeat until it's coming through as clean water.

Now refill with proper windscreen wash solution ;)

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom