Screwed up one of my run flats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ndwgolf

Car
E53 Coupe AMG
Guys
About 6 weeks ago my tire pressure sensor went off on my AMG E53 coupe. I stopped at a tire shop and asked them to check the tire pressure’s. They put air into all of the tires and I left. The next day the air pressure sensor went off again so I took my car to Benz and the guy there reset the sensor and I left.
A few days ago I noticed that the rear right tire was lower than normal so I stopped off on the way home at a local gas station and tried to put air into the rear right tire. The gauge on the air pump initially showed 8 psi then continued to rise to the 37 psi that I wanted. The next day I took my car to a tire shop and asked them to check that tire. They found a small nail in the tire so took the wheel off and removed the tire from the wheel. The guy asked me to come and look at the tire and showed me the inside of the run flat tire, he said it was damaged and needed to replace it.
Cut I long story short, I fxxxk up not taking it to a Benz in the first place.
Anyway I live in Thailand and need to buy a couple of rear tires. The original size is 275/30/r20 but no one in Thailand have that size. Well there’s one shop that has that size but they want £500 a tire. There are a few tire shops in Bangkok that have 275/35/r20 for £300 quid a tire (Potenza S001 or Michelin Pilot Sport 4 ZP (RFT) ) so a little bit bigger.
Question what do you guys think of changing to 35 sidewall’s instead of the 30s
Thanks Neil

Here’s my car

Attachments

• AE18A183-C14D-4F22-9FC2-347993BF1E1B.jpeg
    AE18A183-C14D-4F22-9FC2-347993BF1E1B.jpeg
    692.7 KB · Views: 48
5% of 275 is 13.75mm. So, the overall diameter of the tyre will increase by 27.5mm. I think that would be far too big a difference and would probably mean your cruise control and other things would not operate.
What price non runflats?

5% of 275 is 13.75mm. So, the overall diameter of the tyre will increase by 27.5mm. I think that would be far too big a difference and would probably mean your cruise control and other things would not operate.
I never thought of that. Thanks

Hello again Neil. Thats bad luck and I wish you better luck getting some suitable tyres.

But please, next time you are in that tyre shop do not let them put an axle stand under the lip of the rear disc rotor. These is nothing (but the tiny locating screw) holding that disc on as it stands (excuse the pun) in the photo.

Should the jack let go (or sag) the entire corner weight is on the tiny lip of an unbolted disc.

PS: I am not familiar with the rear hub set up of your car but should there be a dust cap over the centre wheel bearing bolt ?

Hello again Neil. Thats bad luck and I wish you better luck getting some suitable tyres.

But please, next time you are in that tyre shop do not let them put an axle stand under the lip of the rear disc rotor. These is nothing (but the tiny locating screw) holding that disc on as it stands (excuse the pun) in the photo.

Should the jack let go (or sag) the entire corner weight is on the tiny lip of an unbolted disc.

PS: I am not familiar with the rear hub set up of your car but should there be a dust cap over the centre wheel bearing bolt ?
Its still on the trolley jack so im not sure what they were trying to acheive with the axle stand positioned there 🤣

Pete
I didn’t notice it until I took the picture and at that time they were getting ready to put the wheel back on………..

Phone recovery 🤣

I mean you get those cans of foam but they are useless.
Yep in Thailand you would be f&@&£&d. No AA or RAC here. I have the emergency Benz phone auto dialing in the car but not to sure that there would be someone at the end of the line if you called it

I ditched my run flats & over large wheels for better standard tyres on smaller wheels with greater sidewall depth. Result a better ride & no problems with punctures.

This, or similar websites will assist you in selecting an appropriate tyre size - don't forget to advise your insurers if you are fitting "non-standard" wheels & tyres. I asked for a discount - without success.

Some say I have compromised handling but I have yet to notice this, and owners of other SLs who have driven mine agree, although this might be so in the case of circuit racing or at speeds over 100 MPH.

I have a space saver spare wheel & tyre & a compressor. IMHO a worthwhile investment.

NJSS

I bought the Toyo Sport tires. Should hopefully get them fitted on Thursday
That was a fark up. I put the Toyo Proxy sports on the back and left the run flats on the front……. Car all over the frigging place. Ordered another set of Toyo’s for the front. Still can’t believe it makes that much of a difference………… what tire pressure do you guys run on your non RF tires?

That was a fark up. I put the Toyo Proxy sports on the back and left the run flats on the front……. Car all over the frigging place. Ordered another set of Toyo’s for the front. Still can’t believe it makes that much of a difference………… what tire pressure do you guys run on your non RF tires?
Remember new tyres have a release agent on them from new to help them release from the mould and don't offer too much grip from the get go

Non RFT pressure will be same as RFT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom