Scuffed door Kids bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A250 Bennyboy

Car
A Class A250 w176
Hi guys and girls
How best to tackle a scuff/scratch on my door. Some little runt trying to ride his bike one handed whilst carry a skateboard in the other one crashed into my car.
He has also managed to chip my door handle, only very small chip but still bugs me so will have to get this touched up by chips away or the likes:mad:
Think the scuffing should buff out? What do you guys think

Cheers
Ben:thumb:
By the way my car was parked at the side of the caravan we was staying in and the little know it all thought it was a good idea to squeeze down the side riding his bike. Boy did I chew his ear off :devil:

As a general rule, if your fingernail will catch in the scratch / scuff then it won't polish out, while if it doesn't it will. That looks like a very light scuff rather than a scratch, so it more than likely will polish out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the first instance I suggest that you rub it down with WD40 to remove as much of the scuff as possible. The stuff works miracles...

If it turns out to be scratch... I just ordered Chipex so will know soon if it's any good.

As a general rule, if your fingernail will catch in the scratch / scuff then it won't polish out, while if it doesn't it will.

That's pretty much it. :thumb:

As said, it looks very light so a mild polish should remove that. Something like Meguiars Scatch-X should be on the shelf in Halfords. Micro abrasive so becomes less cutting the more you work it.

In the first instance I suggest that you rub it down with WD40 to remove as much of the scuff as possible. The stuff works miracles...
Thanks for the tip markjay, just gave it a go and it worked to a certain degree.
Before

And after

Got some poorboys diamond white coming tomorrow that I got to mask swirling in my wife's car.
I'll give this ago see if it masks my imperfection

Cheers Ben

That's pretty much it. :thumb:

As said, it looks very light so a mild polish should remove that. Something like Meguiars Scatch-X should be on the shelf in Halfords. Micro abrasive so becomes less cutting the more you work it.

See! I did say you were a "Secret Detailer" you're "Coming Out" as they say into the world of detailing..:D

Hi guys and girls
How best to tackle a scuff/scratch on my door. Some little runt trying to ride his bike one handed whilst carry a skateboard in the other one crashed into my car.
He has also managed to chip my door handle, only very small chip but still bugs me so will have to get this touched up by chips away or the likes:mad:
Think the scuffing should buff out? What do you guys think

Cheers
Ben:thumb:
By the way my car was parked at the side of the caravan we was staying in and the little know it all thought it was a good idea to squeeze down the side riding his bike. Boy did I chew his ear off :devil:

Using terms like "little runt" and "little know it all" are hardly called for.

Children do not "think" like adults, they do not process data in the same way, they do not perceive risk or the potential for it in the same way either.

Yes it is annoying but chewing his ear off? What has that achieved except for a "grown up" giving a child a hard time?

It was not intentional and it is just a car. Speak with his parents (I suggest you are less confrontational but expect you would be!) and you might be surprised how they might wish to help sort out the damage.

Using terms like "little runt" and "little know it all" are hardly called for.

Children do not "think" like adults, they do not process data in the same way, they do not perceive risk or the potential for it in the same way either.

Yes it is annoying but chewing his ear off? What has that achieved except for a "grown up" giving a child a hard time?

It was not intentional and it is just a car. Speak with his parents (I suggest you are less confrontational but expect you would be!) and you might be surprised how they might wish to help sort out the damage.

They'll probably punch him in the face.

If it's any consolation I once pulled up to the kerb on the wrong side of the road and threw my door open.
Some runt on a bike was riding down the pavement and went right into my half open door, he went down like a sack of ****.

Karma eh?

Bet you feel better about a minor scuff now?

The likes of WD40 will only fill the scuff temporarily. When it washes out the scuff will still be there.

'Touching in' doesn't work too well on lighter metallics as the metallic particles clump together making the touched in area look dark.

Providing the finger nail doesn't catch, I would use a damp P2000 to lightly abrade back a few mircrons of lacquer and then machine polish using a mild cutting compound (T Cut is too aggressive imo).

The likes of WD40 will only fill the scuff temporarily. When it washes out the scuff will still be there...

It will do that, but more importantly it will also remove any residue left from the foreign object . Many stuffs comprise of lacquer or paint damage plus bits of paint or coating from the foreign object.

What WD40 does is dislodge foreign material so that you can see the extent of the actual damage to the car, which is often considerably less than what it looked like initially.

For this reason it is always a good idea to give it a rub with WD40 before deciding on the course of action.

But as you say it will obviously not repair any paint damage.

You all making me out to be some kind of bullying t@@t.
Nothing can be far removed. I'm as fair as can be.
Kyle who turned out to be 9 was in the caravan behind us and both sides of us caravans was empty. So the know it all had two paths he could use with no cars?
And I chewed his ear off to find out the caravan his mum and dad was staying in! and why wouldn't I??
I mean when I was that age and done that I would of had a thick ear of the guy and off my parents.
No respect any more and so quickly to judge dude?
I was brought up with respect and not dragged up with no morals like some folks, so before you judge my tactics are you true and fair??
Get real ffs

Last edited:
Only one person was judging you mate, not all of us.:thumb: I would have reacted exactly the same as you had some little **** done the same to my car.
And had I done the same to a car when I was a kid, I would have expected a right royal bollocking and taken it.

I knew exactly what I was doing as a kid and my risk assessment was just the same as it is today. Damage something belonging to another means you have done wrong and are going to have to deal with the consequences.

Last edited:
The likes of WD40 will only fill the scuff temporarily. When it washes out the scuff will still be there.

'Touching in' doesn't work too well on lighter metallics as the metallic particles clump together making the touched in area look dark.

Providing the finger nail doesn't catch, I would use a damp P2000 to lightly abrade back a few mircrons of lacquer and then machine polish using a mild cutting compound (T Cut is too aggressive imo).

P2000, then an abrasive machine polish?

OP this is a 30 second job with the merest hint of T Cut and car polish...and leave the kids alone!

You all making me out to be some kind of bullying t@@t.
Nothing can be far removed. I'm as fair as can be.
Kyle who turned out to be 9 was in the caravan behind us and both sides of us caravans was empty. So the know it all had two paths he could use with no cars?
And I chewed his ear off to find out the caravan his mum and dad was staying in! and why wouldn't I??
I mean when I was that age and done that I would of had a thick ear of the guy and off my parents.
No respect any more and so quickly to judge dude?
I was brought up with respect and not dragged up with no morals like some folks, so before you judge my tactics are you true and fair??
Get real ffs

So, you are "as fair as can be"?

You still persist in using pejorative terms such as "the know it all", as pointed out, children do not think like adults, the clue is in the word "child"

As to "so quickly to judge", only based on your own words which seemed unduly harsh, a quiet word with the parents would have been the preferred approach and would have gained you respect from all parties.

It is a car, expensive yes, irritating, indeed but there are far more important things in life to get stressed over and as to being true and fair, yes I think I am :

See: https://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/bodywork/134948-honesty-5-year-old-biker-hurry.html

as to being true and fair, yes I think I am

No drama, they immediately have said they will pay.

And if they had not agreed to pay, straight away, and been flippant about the incident then would you have been "true and fair", hats off to you if you would have.

Yes it is only a piece of metal but it someone has paid , or is still paying , for that piece of metal and others ,including kids, should be more considerate with things that dont belong to them.

I once tore a strip off one of my sons friends, after football training, for scampering across the back seat of my car, with his dirty boots on, to get a window seat rather than going round to the other side of the car and just opening the door. If my son had done a similar thing then i would have expected the parent to do exactly the same, no question.

As for their being more things to be stressed out about then that depends on many other personal factors at that particular time.

Kenny

No drama, they immediately have said they will pay.

And if they had not agreed to pay, straight away, and been flippant about the incident then would you have been "true and fair", hats off to you if you would have.

Kenny

Yes I would have been. It is not important overall and it is a child's actions here in both examples, parents are responsible for their children's actions

It is interesting that most seem to think bellowing at children produces better results than explaining and talking to them.

Anyway it is all dealt with so I am sure the OP can now move on:thumb:

P2000, then an abrasive machine polish?

OP this is a 30 second job with the merest hint of T Cut and car polish...and leave the kids alone!

Actually a damp P2000 and a far less abrasive cutting compound than T Cut, applied with a machine polisher will be kinder and more effective than rubbing in T Cut with a microfibre cloth, imo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom