SD Card - Is there a limit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

et0609

Car
E350d
Im using a 2GB SD card in my W204, but its a bit too small for the amount of music I want to copy to it. Im thinking of buying a 16GB card, but is there a limit that the COMAND can read? Im thinking that if it can only read a lower size card, theres no point in upgrading the card.

I know the hard drive isnt big enough to copy that amount onto, its the SD card that I play my music from.

Thanks

iirc, there is a limit of the number of files, and the number of directories. Not sure on your version of Comand, but when I read up on my NTG4, you can format your card into up to 4 partitions, and the limit (something like 2000 tracks) then applies to each partition. The details are in the comand manual.

It's far from slick - I gave up and went against my prejudices and bought an IPOD classic. It just works, no hassle, my whole music collection in the car fully integrated and works seamlessly.

I have a 64gb USB key on my audio 20 C204 and it works perfectly. I cannot see why the 'superior' command system will have any problems with sd cards.

I've got a 16GB card running in mine - not sure how many tracks it has on it but it's completely full and works fine.

Thanks everyone, I think I'll get a 16GB card. I read the manual and it contradicts itself. It says you can have 255 folders with 255 tracks in each folder which totals 65025 tracks. It then goes on to say it can only read 4000 tracks in total, so thats confusing.

Thanks everyone, I think I'll get a 16GB card. I read the manual and it contradicts itself. It says you can have 255 folders with 255 tracks in each folder which totals 65025 tracks. It then goes on to say it can only read 4000 tracks in total, so thats confusing.
It can read up to 255 folders, and a folder can have up to 255 tracks, but the total tracks cannot be more than 4000 - i.e. if you have 255 folders then on average they can only have 15.6 tracks each, or you could have 15 folders with 255 tracks.

It can read up to 255 folders, and a folder can have up to 255 tracks, but the total tracks cannot be more than 4000 - i.e. if you have 255 folders then on average they can only have 15.6 tracks each, or you could have 15 folders with 255 tracks.

Thats interesting. I didnt know this. I am using a 32GB card but its only half full.

Can anyone say with absolute certainty what are the limits for an NTG2.5 with the latest firmware, in terms of the maximum capacity of the card and number of folders/files/tracks?

The problem is that that bigger cards are being released every few months.

All MB can say is that they accept a card that meets the standard for said media.

I have found (on this car and others) that it's worth paying that little bit extra for a better performing card or memory stick otherwise when full of music, scrolling between tracks can get sluggish. I am currently using a 32GB Sandisk SD Card

So according to the Mercedes Benz Website (for MP3s):

Up to 30,000 tracks per medium are supported.

MP3 and WMA are supported as data formats with fixed and variable bit rates (up to 320 kbit/s)

Up to eight directory levels with up to 1,000 tracks per directory are supported.

But for MP3s on CDs

When you create a disc with compressed music files, the tracks can be organised in folders. A folder may also contain subfolders. A disc can contain a maximum of 255 folders. Each folder can contain a maximum of 255 tracks and 255 subfolders. A maximum of 512 files are permitted on an MP3 CD.

The disc may contain no more than eight directory levels. Files beyond the eighth level will not be recognised by the system.

Thanks. Can you provide the link to where you got that from?

I am hoping it will work with a 64gb SD card, but don't want to buy one without knowing it will work.

What are "directory levels"?

I have a separate folder for each artist (eg. one each for Pink Floyd, Rush, Yes etc) and then within them each album has its own folder. Is that the best way to do it? I currently have it like that on my 2gb SD card and the structure works well, so I can scroll through artists, select the artist I want, then scroll through albums and select the album I want.

I have a 16GB card in my UMI but am just below the limits with 245 folders and 3618 files, mind you that's a heck of a choice of music, so if 4,000 is the limit I don't see it as a particular hardship, and there's always Classic FM :)

Thanks. Can you provide the link to where you got that from?

I am hoping it will work with a 64gb SD card, but don't want to buy one without knowing it will work.

What are "directory levels"?

I have a separate folder for each artist (eg. one each for Pink Floyd, Rush, Yes etc) and then within them each album has its own folder. Is that the best way to do it? I currently have it like that on my 2gb SD card and the structure works well, so I can scroll through artists, select the artist I want, then scroll through albums and select the album I want.

The data is from the interactive owners manual on the MB website. This is also contained IN THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL THAT CAME WITH YOUR CAR!

Directory levels are where you have you files in folders

So you might have a folder called Music and then in there a folder for each artist and then in there a folder for each album and then in there the MP3 files themselves

These are then shown on the display in the same way. So just how you have it by the sounds of things.

Can't think how you could get to being 8 deep

I have a 16GB card in my UMI but am just below the limits with 245 folders and 3618 files, mind you that's a heck of a choice of music, so if 4,000 is the limit I don't see it as a particular hardship, and there's always Classic FM :)

4000 isn't the limit. 30000 is the limit

Just being pedantic but you will probably find that the limit will not be 30,000 it's more likely to be 32,767 which is (2 to the power of 15) -1. :eek:

The data is from the interactive owners manual on the MB website. This is also contained IN THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL THAT CAME WITH YOUR CAR!

[FONT=&quot]Unfortunately my manual relates to what is obviously a much earlier firmware version. I think it talks about a 2gb card limit.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Is there a more up to date manual online, because I can’t find it![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Unfortunately my manual relates to what is obviously a much earlier firmware version. I think it talks about a 2gb card limit.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Is there a more up to date manual online, because I can’t find it![/FONT]

Chances are that 2GB was as big as it got when the manual was printed

For some reason the link has been removed from the C-Class pages

Try here

Interactive Owner's Manual [In depth | Audio | Media Interface mode]

Just noticed as well that there is a 15,000 limit if you want to transfer off the SD card onto the internal HDD

BTW

I have just bought one of these and it works really well

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007PYBOZ4/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

Chances are that 2GB was as big as it got when the manual was printed

For some reason the link has been removed from the C-Class pages

Try here

Interactive Owner's Manual [In depth | Audio | Media Interface mode]

Just noticed as well that there is a 15,000 limit if you want to transfer off the SD card onto the internal HDD

BTW

I have just bought one of these and it works really well

Sandisk 32GB Class 10 Ultra SDHC UHS-I FFP Memory Card - Frustration Free Packaging: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Thanks. That must relate to a different model of head unit (and a rather better one) as that one has facilities such as displaying album artwork which mine doesn't.

I guess I am just going to have to take a risk and buy a 64gb card and see what happens.

Anyone tried a 64GB sdxc in Comand 4.5 yet?

Just seen that the sdxc cards are now getting very affordable (about £30) so could put my full music collection onto an 64GB card for the car.

Can Comand 4.5 cope with 64GB sdxc or can it just take only 32GB sdhc ?

Anyone tried 64GB yet?

Just seen that the sdxc cards are now getting very affordable (about £30) so could put my full music collection onto an 64GB card for the car.

Can Comand 4.5 cope with 64GB sdxc or can it just take only 32GB sdhc ?

Anyone tried 64GB yet?

Well, I got my NTG2.5 firmware updated by the dealer today but I am still getting odd results from anything above 2gb :( What happens is it only picks up certain folders and seems to insert empty folders.

Nevertheless I ordered a 64GB card from Amazon yesterday (for a media player to take on holiday really) and I will try that. I know my Comand does not compare to yours but in the slim chance it does work, then yours probably should. I will report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom