SD Card issues with Comand Online on GLA 220d

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kkudi

Car
GLA 220d 4matic Premium Plus AMG Line
I recently acquired a GLA 220d in the UK, reg April 2016. It has Comand Online.

I have been tirelessly trying to add PersonalPOIs to the Navigation system with the sd card but I have not been successful.

The spec sheets says that I have Comand NTG 5.5 although I dont know how to confirm that.

I bought an SD Card from Amazon which is formatted on a MAC as FAT32.

I have tried using free GPX files from pocketgpsworld.com (e.g car servicing pois) but it's stuck on Importing Data. I added the gpx file in a folder called PersonalPOI.

I have tried using GPI Files after converting them - that still doesn't work.

I read in the manual that you can also save down routes, so I enter a destination into the Navigation system, then press 'Save' and then 'Save to memory card' and rather than saying 'Saving' or something it says Importing data(this may take several minutes) and it's just stuck there.

Has anyone had these issues before that they were able somehow to overcome?

Last edited:
It might be that Comand is having problems reading that specific SD card. What's the capacity of the card? If it's high capacity SDXC then you might have better luck with a lower capacity SDHC card.

Looks fine. You might try putting a couple of MP3 music files on the card to see if you can play them through the Comand. If so, then the SD card is obviously OK. If not then the card is the problem, perhaps you could try formatting it on another computer.

Mp3 files on the root directory work fine when I chose Memory card in Media.

So the sd card can be read without issues.

Last edited:
I've heard reports that the new E class with NTG 5.5 no longer has an option to import Personal POIs. Interesting that yours does at least still have the option available.

So there might be a problem with your gpx file. I'd get another gpx file - the smallest available - and try that. If you get really stuck, let me have your email address and I'll send you a gpx file that definitely loads into my NTG 4.7. You can see if that works in your NTG 5.5.

definitely tried with a very small gpx file (like one POI). So unless gpx files have different versions and are not recognised I dont know what else to do.

Most successful stories I hear are on NTG 4.5. let me pm you my email address.

Edit: looks like I cant send you my email address a_markitanis at hotmail dot com

Also can I just confirm, that the gpx files have to be in a folder called 'PersonalPOI' in the root

Email sent with attached gpx file that works in my car. Yes, the gpx file has to be in a folder called PersonalPOI on the SD card.

unfortunately, this doesn't work. I left it in the car for a good 30 minutes and it was stuck at importing data.

so maybe pois on NTG 5.5 don't work.

Is there a way to definitively check I'm on NTG 5.5?

>> Is there a way to definitively check I'm on NTG 5.5?

Not that I'm aware of. I guess your local Merc dealer could tell you.

Just for info I also have Comand 5.5 (Afaik) and mine will not accept poi information either. I've asked MB how to do it so we'll see what they say, although I suspect they will say is not possible.
Next question will be 'why not? '

Let me know how you get on. I am taking the car for a map/software upgrade next Friday. I was in Devon for the weekend and there were perfectly valid roads that were unmapped. If they do a software upgrade and a map update I will give it a go one more time when I have it back and post here.

This may or may not help , I read on another forum that you can download POI to HDD with ignition OFF on Comand 4.5/4.7.
Later comand systems require the ignition to be ON to download POI .

This may or may not help , I read on another forum that you can download POI to HDD with ignition OFF on Comand 4.5/4.7.
Later comand systems require the ignition to be ON to download POI .

Oh wow - all the times I tried was with ignition off.

I could give that a go this evening! Thanks for the hint! Fingers crossed it works!

So this might be a dumb question, but please forgive me because I am new to Comand:
When you say 'import the pois', do you mean using the Data Import function?

I looked at that and read the book, but it gives no hint as to what that 'data' is. I actually exported my data to see what it contained, and it's just some .ud2 files (binary I think but I can't read them) and an xml profile file. I guess I was hoping to see more xml data that I could relate to pois.

Is this the way Comand (or previous versions at least) imports pois or are you doing it another way?

I'm not sure whatyou mean by Data Import function is.

When you're in 'Nav Mode' there's an option to Import Personal POI.

For me that hasn't worked no matter what file I tried, be it gpx, gpi.

Even trying to save down to the sd card a route, hasn't saved anything. It was just stuck on saving or importing data.

I have an April'16 car. From what I gathered it's NTG 5.5 but I have no way to confirm that, other than what it says on the spec sheet.

From what I gathered it's NTG 5.5 but I have no way to confirm that, other than what it says on the spec sheet.

More or less: -

NTG5.5 is on latest E classes (W213 and whatever the Coupe is)
NTG5*2 is on W222 S and W217 S-coupe, W205, W253, AMG-GT
NTG5*1 was introduced around MY2016 facelift across the rest of the range

NTG5*1 has more functionality (and came later than) NTG5*2 (such as CarPlay). 5.5 seems to be replacing 5*2 and adds even bigger screens and CarPlay for instance

R

More or less: -

NTG5.5 is on latest E classes (W213 and whatever the Coupe is)
NTG5*2 is on W222 S and W217 S-coupe, W205, W253, AMG-GT
NTG5*1 was introduced around MY2016 facelift across the rest of the range

NTG5*1 has more functionality (and came later than) NTG5*2 (such as CarPlay). 5.5 seems to be replacing 5*2 and adds even bigger screens and CarPlay for instance

R

I have car play and it supports both Android and iPhone.

I dont know what these codes are, I have a GLA April 2016 reg.

Sorry. W205 is C Class, W253 is GLK., and the latest Vito gets NTG5*2 also.

So you have GLA, which is NTG5*1 or NTG4.5 if older. If you post a picture I can tell you which. but April 2016 most likely to be NTG5*1 unless it was an old car sitting in stock

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom