Sea Harrier for sale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
lotusmark2 said:
I've been looking for something to finish off the bottom corner of my garden ;)

Yes they’re good at finishing off things;)

Why on earth would anybody[178 of them] bid on this and at £171k surely you can buy better,usable things for that sort of cash

Also

How would you get it home? - it ain't going in no envelope thats for sure!!!

"This aircraft has been fully decommissioned and comes without engines and weaponry and is therefore for display purposes only". Wonder if the MOBILO LIFE anti-corrosion warranty is still good?

Simon said:
Yes they’re good at finishing off things;)

:D :D :D :D

Now at £200,000 plus!!!

Crazy, still at least I now know why our aircraft carriers are not carrying any fixed wing aircraft.

John

RAF GR7s are now routinely employed/deployed on CVS (Ground Attack).

Another budget balancing decision - save spending money on Sea Harrier - get the RAF to do some bloody work and deploy for longer than a week and begrudgingly I suppose there is an element of logic that it fits in with the current military tempo (no perceived air threat hence no need for organic FA (thats Fighter Aircraft:D ) in the littoral while there is a need to project power and support Percy on the ground.

NormanB said:

Hi Norman,
Much respect to you on this subject. I was reading the other week that HMS Illustrious is the 'deployed carrier' and she was recently tasked to Lebanon, where she was to stand by, there was ample space onboard as there were no fixed wing aircraft?? I also read that when Ark Royal was our deployed carrier for the last Iraqi conflict she also never carried any fixed wing aircraft?? I wonder how many Sea Harriers were sold by dockyard matey's on E-bay!!! :) :) I read the book by Sharky Ward who was a senior Sea Harrier pilot. Much respect.

Is it true that even the French have a proper aircraft carrier ? What would Nelson say ;) "I see no aircraft!!" ;) ;) :)

John

Interesting bid history, it's gone back down to £75,100.00 What's going on?

NormanB said:

just to add, the GR7/GR7a is flown by both RAF and RN pilots, under the title Joint Force Harrier (JFH)

Last edited:
NormanB said:
Another budget balancing decision - save spending money on Sea Harrier - get the RAF to do some bloody work.

Do you think the carriers we will eventually get might be converted Isle of Wight ferries with plywood 8 x 4 sheeting to act as the flight deck? Or is MDF cheaper?:D

"Rule Britania!
Britannia rule the waves"

They were the days :D

Where's Zooman???

How dare he hide when I want to take the mickey :D :D
Typical crap fat

John

BTB 500 said:
A number of protective measures such as side armour and armoured bulkheads proposed by industrial bid teams have been deleted from the design in order to comply with cost limitations.

Cost limitations, and the fact the carrier's tonnage would slow it down to an unworkable speed. The slower it goes, the less wind over the deck the carrier generates. The VSTOL variant of the JSF would need as much wind over the deck as possible to launch at maximum aircraft all up weights.

The Thales/BAe design has never planned to have 'armour' - it's a weight saving measure rather than a cost cutting measure (although I'm sure the latter helped with the decision :rolleyes: )

Incidently, in this day and age if the carrier gets hit, then you probably have more pressing matters to worry about - like why you are getting beaten in the first place. Lucky shots don't have a place in this modern day game; the carrier should be so far away from the action that it is safely protected by it's screening forces.

Incidently, the new American super carriers don't have any protection for working in a NBC (Nuclear, Chemical or Biological) environment - they just don't envisage operating that close to an enemy force. :cool:

Let's just hope the JSF lives up to it's perceived capability...and we don't end up with an aircraft that is already performance limited before it arrives in Service...at least the Sea Harrier lasted a few years beyond it's Out of Service date.:rolleyes:

Silvertank said:
Incidently, in this day and age if the carrier gets hit, then you probably have more pressing matters to worry about - like why you are getting beaten in the first place. Lucky shots don't have a place in this modern day game; the carrier should be so far away from the action that it is safely protected by it's screening forces.

Do they have no defensive armament then?

I just remember the havoc wreaked by a single Exocet in the Falklands!

Silvertank said:
Incidently, the new American super carriers don't have any protection for working in a NBC (Nuclear, Chemical or Biological) environment - they just don't envisage operating that close to an enemy force.

Perhaps like their WW2 ones, which had unprotected (timber) flight decks and paid the price?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom