Sealant / wax after respray

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrhanky

MB Enthusiast
Car
Superb 3.6 4x4 & W221 S500
Since finding evidence of a couple of smart repairs, they have been sticking out like sore thumbs ever since.

So what started out as a simple blow over of said Smart Repairs, has now ended up in a complete front end respray and respray of the rear bumper. Also getting all new chrome trim fitted at the same time.

Its costing a few quid but the car will look great afterwards, I trust the body shop they did something similar with my E39 and the results where superb.

My question is how long should I leave the paint to fully cure, before I apply sealant / wax?

Also any recommendations for said sealant / was for the black paint.

Peronally if the paint has cured sufficient to leave the paintshop I see no reason not to apply a coat of GQ wax for protection straight away....I probably would not polish just yet though and swiftly add I would include a combined polish /wax a no no....
ATB

Thanks was thinking the same, wanted to get some protection on the new paint straight away really.

Might be worth mentioning that with a good quality wax, liitle is better than too much.
I always use a close pored foam aplicator, slighly damp if its a new one, then carefully lay a thin coat of wax over the surface, panel at a time, using a really soft MF to wipe off and buff. I turn the MF two or three times per panel for best results.

Quite often (practcally always:D) I use a good QD as a final buff but that may be overkill.....

ATB;)

Asked the same question today after my cars re-spray, and was advised to leave it 6 weeks before putting a sealant on it.

As above, I was going to say why don't you ask your paint guy who's doing the job.

Horse's mouth and all that :thumb:

It depends how long and at what temp the paint was cured at, but I think at least a month as the temps will not be anywhere near the factory ovens.

Just a thought but would you wash a car with even a mild detergent within 6 weeks of a car being painted.......p

If the answer is yes wax can only be a plus,.....

If not then I guess wait...

I have never yet had the same response from painters, some say go ahead, some say wait:confused:

I would add again though not to consider polish or any sealant other than wax in the early weeks following a respray......

Good advice in this case might be in a previous post though, get an opinion from your own sprayer........

ATB;)

When I asked the bodyshop last week, I got two seperate answers from two seperate people. I think the name of the game here, will be ask the owner as it will be his door I knock on if the advice has yielded the wrong result.

Thanks for everyones replies and input.

When I asked the bodyshop last week, I got two seperate answers from two seperate people. I think the name of the game here, will be ask the owner as it will be his door I knock on if the advice has yielded the wrong result.

Thanks for everyones replies and input.

There's your problem........you asked two people :crazy:

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom