Sealing a block paved driveway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reflexboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 CDi Sport&SLK250CDi AMG Sport
I'm looking to give my block paved driveway a facelift. I would like to clean it and then re-sand and seal it. There are so many sealants on the market and have no idea which one to go for. As my drive is grey, I would like the sealant to slightly darken the blocks and help/block the weeds from growing whilst giving a satin finish. I'm not a fan of a 'high gloss' finish but I think a satin finish will boost it's appearance. Any recommendations of a decent cleaner and a good long lasting sealant? TIA

I have a 25 litre drum in my garage and do the drive every 2 years its brilliant stuff and imparts an antislip coating, I get it from a local paving and tarmac contractor for £125 will look at the label for what its called and post back later :thumb:

Sealing moving sand joints is never going to be overly successful.

The one I use puts a flexible acrylic seal on which penetrates into the top of the sand so even when you get movement it doesn't crack the seal mine lasts around 2 years on average before I notice slight cracking

be very carefull,give it a good doing with wead killer leave it a week,then clean joints with a wire brush type cleaner,then pressure wash,then resand,then it will need to be swept about 6 times before all excess sand has gone.then seal if needed with block paving sealer and add rhinogrip to give a non slip surface otherwise it will be like a scating ring when we have snow or a frost.
don't use diy products like thomsons do a quick google search for professional supplies that the trade use,about £125 for 25 ltrs .but remember it does have a shelf life so don't store in a shed or garage unless heated and give a shake every odd month.
I know I do this on a regular basis.
also don't use impressed concrete sealer as its a different product altogether,the time is in the preparation for a professional look not just painting on with a brush.

Rather than a hard acrylic sealer, would painting something like linseed oil not work well?

I used to work with a bricklayer who used to say before silicone brickwork sealants he used to use linseed oil on brickwork to form a barrier,and it worked as the water used to wash off.
how much would 25ltrs of linseed oil cost?????
remember once its down and absorbed into the blocks its there for good,no crying later

I used to work with a bricklayer who used to say before silicone brickwork sealants he used to use linseed oil on brickwork to form a barrier,and it worked as the water used to wash off.
how much would 25ltrs of linseed oil cost?????
£17 for 5 litres.

Linseed oil was used for quarry tiles before silicone. It also has the advantage of acting as a moss/weedkiller.

I might give it a go on some spare blocks.

worth a try keep us informed

I have used Resiblock twice in 8 years on my cobbled drive.

Brilliant stuff, zero weeds.

But wear proper gear as it is real nasty stuff to apply.

S

Sounds like its a great product if you have only used it twice in 8 yrs. must be the way forward.

Sounds like its a great product if you have only used it twice in 8 yrs. must be the way forward.

Granite sets in concrete don't really need any protection as the stone isn't porous and wears smooth, not rough.

I've used RESIBLOCK but have to admit the drive now marks with the tyres. getting black lines that the unsealed drive didn't get

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom