Sealing wheels outside in cold/damp weather - Poorboys or G Techniq?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Londonscottish

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E500 & Fiat 500
Quick question; I've just given my wheels a deep clean and have decontaminated them using a clay bar so they're ready for wheel sealant.

I've got a bottle of G Techniq Wheel Armour and a tub of Poorboy's wax.

The plan was to use the G Techniq as it's quick to apply and lasts longer. BUT, looking at the instructions, it needs a full 12 hours to cure at at least 5 degrees. It's barely 7 degrees at the moment and the temp is due to drop to 5 and below this afternoon and stay there for a few days. And I'm doing this outside.

Do you think it would be better to just use the wax for now and wait for some warmer (and drier) weather to apply the Wheel Armour?

Or should I risk it with the Wheel Armour on the basis that it will cure but might just take longer?

Their website actually states (for the C5 Wheel Armour)
"Allow the coating to cure indoors for 12 hours before exposing to the elements"

If this is your product I'd go with the wax

Go with the Poorboys - gives you the option after winter to remove and then apply Wheel Armour. Good excuse to undertake the alloys again ;)

Ironically had a similar conundrum a couple of hours ago in the garage between waxes (on one of the motorcycles) and Poorboys was one of the potential choices.

i would wait, temp and moisture levels are critical to get the durability, it can be done out doors, although December and January are probably the hardest months for any product to work at its best. You could take one wheel off at a time decon/prep outside and take it in to your house for coatings :) one each day??

btw, poor boys has fairly low durability for winter driving, so don't invest too much prep time, save for the c5.

Their website actually states (for the C5 Wheel Armour)
"Allow the coating to cure indoors for 12 hours before exposing to the elements"

If this is your product I'd go with the wax

Yes, it's C5 and yes, on reflection, I went with the wax - thanks.

Go with the Poorboys - gives you the option after winter to remove and then apply Wheel Armour. Good excuse to undertake the alloys again ;)

Ironically had a similar conundrum a couple of hours ago in the garage between waxes (on one of the motorcycles) and Poorboys was one of the potential choices.
Thanks T5R - I reached the same conclusion and went with the wax for now.

When I originally used it, it was great. Hopefully the wheels will be a lot better for a few months and won't start showing the brake dust almost instantly as they are at the moment.

For the C5 I'll wait till spring and dry warm weather. I'll get a trolley jack and maybe some axle stands so I can take them off in pairs and do them properly.

i would wait, temp and moisture levels are critical to get the durability, it can be done out doors, although December and January are probably the hardest months for any product to work at its best. You could take one wheel off at a time decon/prep outside and take it in to your house for coatings :) one each day??

btw, poor boys has fairly low durability for winter driving, so don't invest too much prep time, save for the c5.
Thanks Reflection - as always, so much knowledge and help on this site.

Update; I finished the two o/s wheels over my lunch break with Poorboys. Will do the other two tomorrow.

C5 can be applied over the Poorboys, so additionally protection come spring time.

I used to use Poorboys back in the day. No doubt there’s better options nowadays but just using something helps a lot.

Lasted well on my CLK so would think it would do you okay until the weather warms up, easy to reapply in a couple of months if you feel the need too :thumb:

I didn't think one could apply any product over a wax, as they are extremely hydrophobic. Gtechniq recommend preparing the surface with panel wipe before application?
I applied it recently (ironically in a very cold garage as I was rushing to prep winter alloys prior to fitting) and recall reading as such. Perhaps I have it the wrong way round and it's the case that any product can be applied over the C5 for durability.

I applied it recently (ironically in a very cold garage as I was rushing to prep winter alloys prior to fitting) and recall reading as such. Perhaps I have it the wrong way round and it's the case that any product can be applied over the C5 for durability.

It's more likely to be that way round - ie applying stuff over C5 rather than the other way round.

G Techniq stress how important it is to remove any previous coating and/or contamination from the wheels before applying C5 in order to maximise the bonding process.

An opportunity today to assess the effectiveness of C5. I applied BH Auto Wheel to a cold and dry alloy, let it rest then power sprayed off. No brushing or intervention.

1DB6D002-84DF-4D42-BFFF-CB146D55A5B4.jpegF6EC60F8-7C93-45E5-9ECF-85645CEB2DE9.jpegEB4C41A9-0E8B-4465-856C-68C64F1E4619.jpeg

Can I ask where your wheels were refinished please as they are a very nice bright shade of silver?

Can I ask where your wheels were refinished please as they are a very nice bright shade of silver?
I used Spit n' Polish, who refurbished it with Ford Astral Silver -- they did that as it's apparently quite a thick paint and it covers the age related pitting and blemishes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom